Jump to topic:

Will Obamacare Hurt Jobs? Yes!

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 2:43:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Here is the vindication of those who were warning everyone in 2009/2010 that Obamacare would be bad for businesses:

Small business owners' fear of the effect of the new health-care reform law on their bottom line is prompting many to hold off on hiring and even to shed jobs in some cases, a recent poll found.

"We were startled because we know that employers were concerned about the Affordable Care Act and the effects it would have on their business, but we didn't realize the extent they were concerned, or that the businesses were being proactive to make sure the effects of the ACA actually were minimized," said attorney Steven Friedman of Littler Mendelson. His firm, which specializes in employment law, commissioned the Gallup poll.

"If the small businesses' fears are reasonable, then it could mean that the small business sector grows slower than what economic conditions otherwise would indicate. And small businesses have been a growth engine in the economy," Friedman told CNBC.

http://www.cnbc.com...
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 3:24:01 PM
At 6/25/2013 2:43:00 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Here is the vindication of those who were warning everyone in 2009/2010 that Obamacare would be bad for businesses:

Small business owners' fear of the effect of the new health-care reform law on their bottom line is prompting many to hold off on hiring and even to shed jobs in some cases, a recent poll found.

"We were startled because we know that employers were concerned about the Affordable Care Act and the effects it would have on their business, but we didn't realize the extent they were concerned, or that the businesses were being proactive to make sure the effects of the ACA actually were minimized," said attorney Steven Friedman of Littler Mendelson. His firm, which specializes in employment law, commissioned the Gallup poll.

"If the small businesses' fears are reasonable, then it could mean that the small business sector grows slower than what economic conditions otherwise would indicate. And small businesses have been a growth engine in the economy," Friedman told CNBC.

If.

If.

If.

IF.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 3:30:56 PM
Doesn't Obamacare only apply to those with at least 50 employees?
Most businesses don't have any.

It may be bad for individuals come tax time, but I don't see it hurting most businesses, as they are unaffected or already offer insurance.
My work here is, finally, done.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 4:05:28 PM
At 6/25/2013 3:30:56 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

It may be bad for individuals come tax time, but I don't see it hurting most businesses, as they are unaffected or already offer insurance.
I guess you missed the whole part about Obamacare increasing insurance premiums...http://blog.heritage.org...
Izayah003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 4:09:21 PM
At 6/25/2013 4:05:28 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

I guess you missed the whole part about Obamacare increasing insurance premiums...http://blog.heritage.org...

No the greed of the insurance company's will raise them in protest to Obamacare, I love how people think these insurance companies are such great people that want to help people....
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 4:13:37 PM
At 6/25/2013 3:24:01 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

If.

If.

If.

IF.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 4:24:17 PM

I guess you missed the part about 78% of businesses have no employees, and therefore have no increased costs associated with healthcare.
http://www.census.gov...
My work here is, finally, done.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 4:25:46 PM

If.

If.

If.

IF.

You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city!
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 4:30:38 PM
"Will Obamacare Hurt Jobs?" Who the fck knows. No one knows what's in it. 3 years after it's implementation and I still don't even know what it will cost to buy a policy through the govt or if my current insurance will be cancelled because it doesn't conform to govt regulations what ever those are.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 4:31:28 PM

If.

If.

If.

IF.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 4:35:55 PM
At 6/25/2013 4:24:17 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I guess you missed the part about 78% of businesses have no employees

I'm 98% sure that's not what you meant. Unless employee means something different in American terminology.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 4:53:38 PM
At 6/25/2013 4:09:21 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
No the greed of the insurance company's will raise them in protest to Obamacare, I love how people think these insurance companies are such great people that want to help people....

I love how people think Obama is such a great person that wants to help people. Hey guy, why don't you ask why Obama trusts these health insurance companies so much that he let them write Obamacare and subsidizes health insurance companies.

"ObamaCare is set up to subsidize health insurance companies as well as hospitals and pharmaceutical companies."

http://www.breitbart.com...

"A key figure involved in designing the president"s signature health insurance mandate referred to as Obamacare has left her role at the White House to work for one of the very companies profiting off the bill she helped create.

Elizabeth Fowler will be leaving her role as the special assistant to the president for healthcare and economic policy at the National Economic Council and joining pharmaceutical giants Jonson & Johnson. The Washington, DC newspaper POLITICO confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that Fowler is leaving her position on Pennsylvania Avenue for "a senior-level position leading "global health policy"" at the pharma company"s government affairs and policy group."

http://rt.com...

Isn't that loving.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 4:57:01 PM

If I oppose Obamacare do you think that I must side with insurance corporations?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 5:02:54 PM
Obamacare:

- Written by biggest health insurance pharmaceutical companies

- Executed by drone bomber Obama

- Enforced by 16,000 IRS agents currently at shooting ranges with semi-autos

- 7 ft tall bill that's so big it's not allowed in the House chambers

- Raises taxes, includes medical device tax, and leads to 90,000 doctor shortage

- Removes medical decisions from doctor and patient and into the hands of the government decided by its bankrupt budget

Doesn't it feel good to know that the IRS, known for targeting political dissidents, will now be in charge of your health? Yaaayyyyyy! Loving, loving, loving loving, Obamacare! I feel safe AND free knowing Obamacare will invade my privacy more than the NSA with total healthcare record data collection.

Heil Obama, worship Obama!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 5:20:19 PM

I guess you missed the part about 78% of businesses have no employees, and therefore have no increased costs associated with healthcare.
No employees does not mean you aren't affected by Obamacare. The individual mandate kicks off in 2014. At that point, the self-employed will be required to purchase both more expansive and more expensive coverage. The self-employed are actually among the hardest hit by Obamacare.
Izayah003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 6:42:29 PM
At 6/25/2013 4:57:01 PM, Noumena wrote:

If I oppose Obamacare do you think that I must side with insurance corporations?

No, people can be opposed to Obamacare, that is their right, and one i will defend till the day I die, however, in most of the backlash of obamacare, mainly from teatard, they make so many false claims and try and make it sound as if the health insurance company's have your best interest in mind when all they see you as is "$$$" nothing more, during the healthcare debate, not one conservative could giove a rational objection to the bill (which i have read in full) instead had to resort to fear mongering, talking about how it is Obamacare, not insurance company's that would raise premiums, or my favorite is the whole "Death Panel" talking points, while ignoring the fact that insurance companies themselves had death panels, if you got sick, they would drop your coverage, if you got pregnant, they would drop your coverage, if you were deemed to be a cost liability, they would drop your coverage, Obamacare eliminated that, most conservatives seem to want that restored.
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
Izayah003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 6:44:39 PM
At 6/25/2013 5:02:54 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obamacare:

- Written by biggest health insurance pharmaceutical companies

- Executed by drone bomber Obama

- Enforced by 16,000 IRS agents currently at shooting ranges with semi-autos

- 7 ft tall bill that's so big it's not allowed in the House chambers

- Raises taxes, includes medical device tax, and leads to 90,000 doctor shortage

- Removes medical decisions from doctor and patient and into the hands of the government decided by its bankrupt budget

Doesn't it feel good to know that the IRS, known for targeting political dissidents, will now be in charge of your health? Yaaayyyyyy! Loving, loving, loving loving, Obamacare! I feel safe AND free knowing Obamacare will invade my privacy more than the NSA with total healthcare record data collection.

Heil Obama, worship Obama!

wow man, that tinfoil hat is really on their huh, do you hear yourself? i am trying to figure out how you could ever be taken seriously, your argument can't even be rationally debated, I would have to drink a gallon of Drano in order to even try to comprehend what your thinking is.
Izayah003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 6:46:11 PM
At 6/25/2013 5:20:19 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

No employees does not mean you aren't affected by Obamacare. The individual mandate kicks off in 2014. At that point, the self-employed will be required to purchase both more expansive and more expensive coverage. The self-employed are actually among the hardest hit by Obamacare.

any facts to show this? also did anyone here actually read all 2000+ pages of the law?
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 7:06:45 PM
At 6/25/2013 6:46:11 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
did anyone here actually read all 2000+ pages of the law?

Probably not you.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Izayah003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 7:18:38 PM
At 6/25/2013 7:06:45 PM, Contra wrote:

Probably not you.

Oh I did, see I don't form an opinion util I know what it is I am supposed to have an opinion about, most of it was basic political and legal crap, but what i found most interesting was the part about the mandate..lmao

my question was did anyone else read it, you failed to answer that.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 7:27:31 PM
At 6/25/2013 7:18:38 PM, Izayah003 wrote:

Probably not you.

Oh I did, see I don't form an opinion util I know what it is I am supposed to have an opinion about, most of it was basic political and legal crap, but what i found most interesting was the part about the mandate..lmao

I really doubt that you read the full 2000+ pages of that. I, and probably nobody else did to be honest.

The ACA is not a good policy in my opinion because it will cost over $100 billion each year once implemented, increasing the tax burdens on American citizens.

It will exacerbate a broken Medicaid system, harming the medical industry (a worse doctor shortage). Additionally, the subsidies are confusing and the implementation so far has been a train wreck.

The individual mandate is unconstitutional and violates individual freedom -- if a person doesn't want health insurance, for whatever reason... the federal gov't shouldn't force them to have it.

It is a giveaway to the major health insurance companies and is a good example of crony capitalism.

The heavy burdens of regulations will harm the economy, will reduce employment and thus harm many people, especially at the bottom of the economic ladder.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 7:31:53 PM
At 6/25/2013 4:30:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
"Will Obamacare Hurt Jobs?" Who the fck knows. No one knows what's in it. 3 years after it's implementation and I still don't even know what it will cost to buy a policy through the govt or if my current insurance will be cancelled because it doesn't conform to govt regulations what ever those are.

I'm guessing that is because you never bothered to even look into it. Like, the actual healthcare (I'm sure you looked into talking head point).

http://www.nastad.org...

Here's what you need to know.

If your employer cuts your insurance or never offered it to begin with and you make less than 133% of the poverty level, you get into medicare. If you make more than 133% but less than 400% of the poverty level you are eligible for a tax credit towards privately obtained insurance (yes, you can go get your own insurance and get an additional tax credit to help pay for it).

Here's the part that I love. If your company offers insurance, but it is still expensive (my insurance has been going up about 20% per year, and for none family, it's gone up 78% just last year, two years ago, it was free), then you can take your employer paid part, and apply it to ANY insurance on the exchange. That means, you actually get to put a semi-free market into effect.

Right now, your employer negotiates some rate with a single company, where they pay part, and you pay part. They try to determine what they think is best for every single one of their employees (me, a healthy 25 year old with a single 2 year has the same family insurance as a 47 year old smoker with 4 children in high school). You have no choice. It is either that, or you foot the whole bill yourself.

Now you can take the employer share, and apply it to any other insurance plan that YOU DECIDE is best for you. And I look forward to that.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Izayah003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 7:39:59 PM
At 6/25/2013 7:27:31 PM, Contra wrote:

Probably not you.

I really doubt that you read the full 2000+ pages of that. I, and probably nobody else did to be honest.

The ACA is not a good policy in my opinion because it will cost over $100 billion each year once implemented, increasing the tax burdens on American citizens.

It will exacerbate a broken Medicaid system, harming the medical industry (a worse doctor shortage). Additionally, the subsidies are confusing and the implementation so far has been a train wreck.

The individual mandate is unconstitutional and violates individual freedom -- if a person doesn't want health insurance, for whatever reason... the federal gov't shouldn't force them to have it.

Man we already been through this with Geo, the SCOTUS says otherwise, so just deal with it already. Now I will say this though, the mandate only apply s to those who can afford it but choose not to get it, which I find very useful because that means that they can no longer go to the emergency room on the tax payers dime, also here is the funny thing, if you already have Health insurance, nothing will change, not sure why people have such a hard time with healthcare finally being available to 30 million people who couldn't otherwise get it...
It is a giveaway to the major health insurance companies and is a good example of crony capitalism.

The heavy burdens of regulations will harm the economy, will reduce employment and thus harm many people, especially at the bottom of the economic ladder.

conservatives have been saying that more regulations would hurt the economy, they once said freeing slaves would do the same, i need to ask though, how well did deregulation work for GW Bush or Reagan?
and for your viewing pleasure http://www.gpo.gov...

and if you would like help http://www.dol.gov...
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 7:51:40 PM
At 6/25/2013 7:39:59 PM, Izayah003 wrote:

Probably not you.

Man we already been through this with Geo, the SCOTUS says otherwise, so just deal with it already. Now I will say this though, the mandate only apply s to those who can afford it but choose not to get it, which I find very useful because that means that they can no longer go to the emergency room on the tax payers dime, also here is the funny thing, if you already have Health insurance, nothing will change, not sure why people have such a hard time with healthcare finally being available to 30 million people who couldn't otherwise get it...

No changes for those who already have insurance? I'm not sure about that claim.

"With those assumptions about employers" behavior, [the] CBO estimate[s] that the ACA would reduce employment-based insurance coverage in 2019 by 20 million people, compared with 5 million in the baseline projections."
(http://cbo.gov...)

Instead,

1. Allow individuals and group plans to buy health insurance across state lines

2. Partially privatize the FDA (allow a nonprofit to certify drugs -- much faster and cheaper), and remove drug patents

3. Encourage individuals to have their own personal health savings accounts.

Competition will bring down health care costs, improve the economy (more funds for other uses), and expand health care access.

conservatives have been saying that more regulations would hurt the economy, they once said freeing slaves would do the same, i need to ask though, how well did deregulation work for GW Bush or Reagan?
and for your viewing pleasure http://www.gpo.gov...

Slippery slope...

There was no deregulation of the economy under Reagan or GW Bush. Actually there was to a degree under Reagan... but then in the later 20th century they (gov't) had to bail out the S&L institutions.

and if you would like help http://www.dol.gov...

Can't read that big of a document. You could summarize it for me though.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 7:52:00 PM

Probably not you.

So you believe that it isn't good, though you also didn't read it?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 7:52:31 PM
Thanks for spoiling it and putting the answer in the title.

I wanted the answer to be a surprise. :(
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 8:00:32 PM
At 6/25/2013 7:52:00 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Probably not you.

I've done my research on the bullet points of the bill, as I noted elsewhere.

Izayah003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 9:05:37 PM
At 6/25/2013 8:00:32 PM, Contra wrote:
At 6/25/2013 7:52:00 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Probably not you.

I've done my research on the bullet points of the bill, as I noted elsewhere.

sadly though doing research from conservative sites (just an assumption mind you by a conservative is like a liberal going to MSNBC and then acting as if it is gospel truth, which I do not, if i want to know about a bill, a law, or if i want to know where people really stand in congress on any given issue my main source is Cspan, i watch it for myself, or I find the PDF doc of the bills and laws...

it's in the bill btw you should read it before you discount the notion that if you already have insurance nothing changes, well no changes from the government anyways, nobody is forced to opt into this, yes there is the mandate but again even if you are fined, the IRS can't enforce the penalty, you can't get audited or anything and the IRS isn't going to come to your house with guns, that is conservative fear mongering fantasy.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 9:10:20 PM
Obamacare caused my moms hours to be cut at her job.
Our insurance is only catastrophic and is more expensive than ever.
That's all I know.
I'm all ears if someone can tell me how Obamacare will fix those problems, one it directly caused.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 9:12:51 PM
At 6/25/2013 9:05:37 PM, Izayah003 wrote:
the IRS can't enforce the penalty

Really? So the penalty is meaningless?