Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Obama: "Marriage is Not a Civil Right"

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
YYW
Posts: 36,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 1:49:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.



Tell me, Geo... what was the point of this thread?
Tsar of DDO
the_croftmeister
Posts: 678
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 1:49:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Are you saying he's not allowed to change his mind?
YYW
Posts: 36,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 1:50:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 1:49:31 AM, the_croftmeister wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Are you saying he's not allowed to change his mind?

"Um... Um... Let me be clear... I was... uh... before it... uh... before I was... against it."

lulz
Tsar of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 1:58:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 1:49:25 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Tell me, Geo... what was the point of this thread?

If the left heard this, they would be up in arms lowering him to their unfavorable view of the Tea Party.

I find his stance remarkable and I'm sure this video comes as a surprise to many here.

I will actually take a more Left stance than Obama and say marriage is not necessarily between a man and a woman. However, marriage is not a civil right and that's a fact demonstrated by the theory of negative rights.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 2:12:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.



And when he SAID that I thought he was wrong. I didn't have the political naivety to think he could answer otherwise when semantically cornered in a mid-campaign comment aimed at a collection of delegates and superdelegates who were more than 90% Christians and half of which believed they were representing "rural, true America," but it still didn't win me any points.

If tomorrow Obama changed his policy and drone strikes, I would no longer say "The President is adhering to abhorrently counter-productive regulations."

I would say the president used to adhere to abhorrently counter-productive regulations.

And I would change my evaluation of him accordingly.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 2:30:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 2:12:47 AM, Wnope wrote:
And when he SAID that I thought he was wrong. I didn't have the political naivety to think he could answer otherwise when semantically cornered in a mid-campaign comment aimed at a collection of delegates and superdelegates who were more than 90% Christians and half of which believed they were representing "rural, true America," but it still didn't win me any points.

If tomorrow Obama changed his policy and drone strikes, I would no longer say "The President is adhering to abhorrently counter-productive regulations."

I would say the president used to adhere to abhorrently counter-productive regulations.

And I would change my evaluation of him accordingly.

I don't speak of you when I speak of the "Left." You are a highly intelligent, well-informed Moderate in my view and are leaps and bounds ahead of the most people on the Left. Glenn Greenwald, Ralph Nader, Naomi Wolf, and Chomsky are probably the only people on the Left I grant any validity to, however I've lost some respect for Chomsky.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Citrakayah
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 11:11:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 1:58:47 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:49:25 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Tell me, Geo... what was the point of this thread?

If the left heard this, they would be up in arms lowering him to their unfavorable view of the Tea Party.

I find his stance remarkable and I'm sure this video comes as a surprise to many here.

I will actually take a more Left stance than Obama and say marriage is not necessarily between a man and a woman. However, marriage is not a civil right and that's a fact demonstrated by the theory of negative rights.

Actually, most of us already knew that. I did. It lowered my opinion of him.
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 11:15:53 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 1:58:47 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:49:25 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Tell me, Geo... what was the point of this thread?

If the left heard this, they would be up in arms lowering him to their unfavorable view of the Tea Party.

Only a retard would think that though, anyone whose ever met a die hard leftist isn't going to give two sh*ta about Obama's PAST views on Gay marriage, and to think they would turn on him over one irrelevant stance on gay marriage is wishful thinking and nothing more

I find his stance remarkable and I'm sure this video comes as a surprise to many here.

I will actually take a more Left stance than Obama and say marriage is not necessarily between a man and a woman. However, marriage is not a civil right and that's a fact demonstrated by the theory of negative rights.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 11:33:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So he changed his stance. I was against gay marriage as well when I first came here and read some of contradictions debates, but I soon realized that his contentions were unfounded under greater scrutiny, and it is in fact moronic to opposing something that harms no one and makes people happy.

Geo, you're like a fly that keeps resisting the swatter.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 11:58:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 2:30:26 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2013 2:12:47 AM, Wnope wrote:
And when he SAID that I thought he was wrong. I didn't have the political naivety to think he could answer otherwise when semantically cornered in a mid-campaign comment aimed at a collection of delegates and superdelegates who were more than 90% Christians and half of which believed they were representing "rural, true America," but it still didn't win me any points.

If tomorrow Obama changed his policy and drone strikes, I would no longer say "The President is adhering to abhorrently counter-productive regulations."

I would say the president used to adhere to abhorrently counter-productive regulations.

And I would change my evaluation of him accordingly.

I don't speak of you when I speak of the "Left." You are a highly intelligent, well-informed Moderate in my view and are leaps and bounds ahead of the most people on the Left. Glenn Greenwald, Ralph Nader, Naomi Wolf, and Chomsky are probably the only people on the Left I grant any validity to, however I've lost some respect for Chomsky.

You respect Chomsky? I'm surprised, given his position on speech.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 12:04:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 1:49:31 AM, the_croftmeister wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Are you saying he's not allowed to change his mind?

He said his opinion was based on his faith. Did he also change his faith?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 12:07:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 12:04:48 PM, DanT wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:49:31 AM, the_croftmeister wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Are you saying he's not allowed to change his mind?

He said his opinion was based on his faith. Did he also change his faith?

Reinterpreted it as it pertains to law. That is a profound difference of which I believe all Christians are capable.
Izayah003
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 3:05:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 1:58:47 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:49:25 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Tell me, Geo... what was the point of this thread?

If the left heard this, they would be up in arms lowering him to their unfavorable view of the Tea Party.

I find his stance remarkable and I'm sure this video comes as a surprise to many here.

I will actually take a more Left stance than Obama and say marriage is not necessarily between a man and a woman. However, marriage is not a civil right and that's a fact demonstrated by the theory of negative rights.

Uh the left did hear it..lmao and still voted for him into the senate, but thanks for playing Geo, once again you have not shown anything we didn't already know, the fact that you can't see why liberals, some conservatives and hell even independents view the tea party in a bad light is what blows my mind...lmao ignorance is bliss i guess. next you will tell us that he flip flopped on how old he is because last year he said he was 50 and this year he said 51....
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 3:20:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/27/2013 1:50:41 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:49:31 AM, the_croftmeister wrote:
At 6/27/2013 1:44:43 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Obama says marriage is not a civil right and that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Are you saying he's not allowed to change his mind?

"Um... Um... Let me be clear... I was... uh... before it... uh... before I was... against it."

lulz

Do you still hold all the same views you did 9 years ago?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Izayah003
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 3:28:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Now I want to point out something, tea party aside since most of them are too ignorant to know anything about the constitution past the 2nd amendment. Lincoln and the first republican liberal party felt the same way about slavery (most of them anyways) while it is true that their faith dictated at the time that god did not create black people equal to white, they still championed the end of slavery because while they were not viewed as equals under god, they did have equal rights under law.

This is why the whole gay marriage, and abortion issues are championed more by liberals then any other party. since both issues, when you get right down to it is based on religion. now given our 1st amendment, the freedom of religion, this stands to say that to tell someone what they can and can't do just because "your" religion says it is wrong, goes against the 1st amendment in my view. In fact anything that is based exclusively on religious belief should have no place in politics.
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
benevolent
Posts: 1,040
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 4:24:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Obama also thought the "Yes We Can" slogan was retarded. Ever heard of white lies, Geo?