Jump to topic:

how do you stop terrorism?

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 2:00:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
It seems the current course is to kill every potential terrorist. Anyone think our current course is a plausible solution?
I believe current course creates more problems than it solves. I'm a firm believer we should 'give in' to terrorist demands, namely stop killing middle eastern civilians and withdraw from the middle east.
Anyone see us killing our way to victory in a war on terror?
Better yet do you think we really even want to end the war? That is we always need an enemy, always need to be at war with someone, who better than the ever illusive terrorist.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 2:03:46 AM
I believe killing existing terrorists that have dedicated their lives to ending our own is justifiable.

However, I also believe that we should do everything possible to prevent the formation of terrorists sentiments in people who are as of yet neutrally or positively aligned with us.

In this sense, I consider the Iraq War to be an abysmal failure, as we invaded a secular country with little history of Islamic extremism and potentially turned it into something that would make Iran look like secular government.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
segijohe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 2:09:47 AM
You cannot stop terrorism. It is a method of political action. It will always exist.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 2:10:53 AM
At 6/27/2013 2:03:46 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
I believe killing existing terrorists that have dedicated their lives to ending our own is justifiable.

However, I also believe that we should do everything possible to prevent the formation of terrorists sentiments in people who are as of yet neutrally or positively aligned with us.

In this sense, I consider the Iraq War to be an abysmal failure, as we invaded a secular country with little history of Islamic extremism and potentially turned it into something that would make Iran look like secular government.

So both ways? If it was as simple as killing each terrorist this wouldn't be an issue.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 2:11:56 AM
At 6/27/2013 2:09:47 AM, segijohe wrote:
You cannot stop terrorism. It is a method of political action. It will always exist.

Sorry semantic nazi , 'Islamic extremist terrorists'

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 2:12:11 AM

Yeah, because it happened to be under Saddam's toe. The Shiites are in democratic (ho ho!) control and have basically incorporated Iraq into the Iranian empire. So yeah, Bush broke the balance of power in the Middle East which is a very unRealist thing to do.

Didn't Kissinger suggest splitting Iraq up along ethnoreligious lines? That seems to be an obvious solution, but these thing rarely are quite that straightforward. Was that scenario ever considered by the Bush/Obama administrations?

Stopping terrorist or sub-state organizations can be accomplished through (A) crushing them with overwhelming force like the Israelis did in Gaza or (B) undermining their base of support through economic, political, or cultural manipulation.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
segijohe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 2:13:52 AM
At 6/27/2013 2:11:56 AM, lewis20 wrote:

You educate people.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 7:35:39 AM
At 6/27/2013 2:12:11 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Yeah, because it happened to be under Saddam's toe. The Shiites are in democratic (ho ho!) control and have basically incorporated Iraq into the Iranian empire. So yeah, Bush broke the balance of power in the Middle East which is a very unRealist thing to do.

Didn't Kissinger suggest splitting Iraq up along ethnoreligious lines? That seems to be an obvious solution, but these thing rarely are quite that straightforward. Was that scenario ever considered by the Bush/Obama administrations?

This would cause a lot of problems in the Middle East by emboldening Kurd secessionists in Syria, Turkey, and Iran. If we assume that these various states will live independently without further incident then it'd be okay. But a free Kurdistan would be anything but demure when it came to other Kurdish populations in bordering countries. You'd probably end up with many small wars similar to the ethnic southern Caucasian conflicts between Azerbaijan and Armenia, just on a much more widespread and geopolitically volatile scale.

Stopping terrorist or sub-state organizations can be accomplished through (A) crushing them with overwhelming force like the Israelis did in Gaza or (B) undermining their base of support through economic, political, or cultural manipulation.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 7:52:43 AM
You stop being afraid of it. You're more likely to be killed by a falling vending machine than by a terrorist attack. Terrorism derives all of its power from irrational fear of mass proportions. For example, a failed underwear bombing can inflict enormous economic damage by the long-term costs of additional security and the maintenance of an expanding surveillance state. Bin Laden was probably thrilled to see us invade Iraq and Afghanistan. This sort of behavior, which has been significantly more damaging to the US in the long run compared to 9/11, is the entire goal of terrorism: flash the crimson cloth until your enemy charges, then deftly move aside as they slam into the wall, causing more damage to themselves than you ever could have yourself. To make a somewhat gauche pun, terrorism gets more bang for its buck precisely because people give the 'bang' undue consideration.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 9:37:43 AM
At 6/27/2013 2:13:52 AM, segijohe wrote:
At 6/27/2013 2:11:56 AM, lewis20 wrote:

You educate people.

Educate who?

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:10:09 AM
At 6/27/2013 2:10:53 AM, lewis20 wrote:

So both ways? If it was as simple as killing each terrorist this wouldn't be an issue.

Exactly, and yes, both ways, simultaneously. Otherwise, either approach taken without the other in mind will fail.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:15:18 AM

Do you believe America has already lost control of post-occupation Iraq? If you do, why?

I think the problem with splitting up Iraq along such lines from a realist perspective is that you'd essentially be giving Iran a lot more power for the reasons you've already cited - Iraq is largely Shiite already.

I argue that it must be both, not either/or. If you cannot do both, then 1) crushing them with overwhelming force will fuel their base of support, or 2) undermining the base will lead to more people being killed by actual terrorists...which would then foment more intolerance of any ideologies associated with the terrorists amongst the victim populations.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:21:49 AM
At 6/27/2013 7:52:43 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
You stop being afraid of it. You're more likely to be killed by a falling vending machine than by a terrorist attack. Terrorism derives all of its power from irrational fear of mass proportions. For example, a failed underwear bombing can inflict enormous economic damage by the long-term costs of additional security and the maintenance of an expanding surveillance state. Bin Laden was probably thrilled to see us invade Iraq and Afghanistan. This sort of behavior, which has been significantly more damaging to the US in the long run compared to 9/11, is the entire goal of terrorism: flash the crimson cloth until your enemy charges, then deftly move aside as they slam into the wall, causing more damage to themselves than you ever could have yourself. To make a somewhat gauche pun, terrorism gets more bang for its buck precisely because people give the 'bang' undue consideration.

Are you advocating that the government turn a blind eye to such threats? That surveillance programs that circumvent the 4th amendment are wholly unwarranted? That the nation could ditch the Patriot Act and magically become a safer place?

I will quote Gandhi here:

"[WWII's] "mad slaughter" so depressed him by late May that [Gandhi] wrote that Hitler and Mussolini should be invited to "take what they want" of Great Britain, and "If these gentlemen choose to occupy your homes, you will vacate them...you will allow yourself man, woman, and child, to be slaughtered.""

http://books.google.com...

Gandhi is human and thus imperfect. I think Gandhi was wholly mistaken here.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:41:59 AM
At 6/27/2013 7:35:39 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

This would cause a lot of problems in the Middle East by emboldening Kurd secessionists in Syria, Turkey, and Iran. If we assume that these various states will live independently without further incident then it'd be okay. But a free Kurdistan would be anything but demure when it came to other Kurdish populations in bordering countries. You'd probably end up with many small wars similar to the ethnic southern Caucasian conflicts between Azerbaijan and Armenia, just on a much more widespread and geopolitically volatile scale.

From a realist perspective, this would be exactly what America wants. Otherwise, why divide up the Middle East in the first place, if not to facilitate "divide and conquer"?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 10:42:39 AM
At 6/27/2013 10:10:09 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Exactly, and yes, both ways, simultaneously. Otherwise, either approach taken without the other in mind will fail.

So status quo

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 11:03:02 AM
At 6/27/2013 2:00:40 AM, lewis20 wrote:
It seems the current course is to kill every potential terrorist. Anyone think our current course is a plausible solution?
I believe current course creates more problems than it solves. I'm a firm believer we should 'give in' to terrorist demands, namely stop killing middle eastern civilians and withdraw from the middle east.
Better yet do you think we really even want to end the war? That is we always need an enemy, always need to be at war with someone, who better than the ever illusive terrorist.

I'll post a response to this later today, but for now I'm off to social obligations. This requires a lengthy response, though... not a mere ten word answer... because it's complicated.
Tsar of DDO
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 11:09:35 AM
At 6/27/2013 10:42:39 AM, lewis20 wrote:

So status quo

I think the severity of our efforts can be toned down a bit, but otherwise yes.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 11:34:01 AM
To stop terrorism, one must discover the true reason for their actons. Then change it, or change their minds.

Of course, by changing ourselves, you may create new terrorists.
Also, change may not want to be made by a nation (IRS a la OK city bombing), or by individuals (some people are hedonistic), or as a society (Muslims are said to hate us for lauding Hollywood and accepting gays), or by politicians (foreign policy, like with Isreal). Keeping in mind that the point of terrorism is generally to influence by fear, and by not changing, we create more terrorists (or at least more attempts).
My work here is, finally, done.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 11:58:21 AM
At 6/27/2013 11:09:35 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

So status quo

The severity of killing people? You think there's a less severe way to kill thousands of potential terrorists all over the globe?

1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 12:21:36 PM
The current course seems to target high-level operatives and terrorist leaders, not "every potential terrorist"
Those aren't the terrorist demands. They may be part of their propaganda efforts, but their ideology is much more radical.
Why do we always need an enemy? This is unsubstantiated.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 12:55:06 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:41:59 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

From a realist perspective, this would be exactly what America wants. Otherwise, why divide up the Middle East in the first place, if not to facilitate "divide and conquer"?

Turkey is our ally, and this would enrage them, due to their longstanding problems with Kurdish separatists. Iran would be drawn into the conflict, on the same side as Turkey, as would Syria. It would tear up the Kurdish area itself, but would diplomatically lead to closer ties between Turkey and Iran while simultaneously leading to huge fallout between Ankara and Washington. We would also take some of the blame for worsening the situation in Syria. The conflict, in other words, would unify enemies against a common foe, and against us for putting them in that situation to begin with. It'd be a second Israel, uniting the region against the West.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 1:01:37 PM
At 6/27/2013 10:21:49 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Are you advocating that the government turn a blind eye to such threats? That surveillance programs that circumvent the 4th amendment are wholly unwarranted? That the nation could ditch the Patriot Act and magically become a safer place?

"[WWII's] "mad slaughter" so depressed him by late May that [Gandhi] wrote that Hitler and Mussolini should be invited to "take what they want" of Great Britain, and "If these gentlemen choose to occupy your homes, you will vacate them...you will allow yourself man, woman, and child, to be slaughtered.""

Terrorists aren't Fascists. They aren't out for military domination. They don't have the resources to accomplish that goal. They use our own fears and emotions to manipulate into doing irrational things that are self-injuring. They have the power to to affect us only because they prey on those emotions. I'm not saying that no countermeasures are warranted, but the measures which we have adopted cause much more harm than the attacks which they are meant to prevent. The minute we pass that threshold, we've provided the terrorists with the only power over us that they will ever have. And the further down that road that we travel, the more power we give them.
- Hilaire Belloc -
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 1:22:05 PM
At 6/27/2013 11:58:21 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/27/2013 11:09:35 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

So status quo

The severity of killing people? You think there's a less severe way to kill thousands of potential terrorists all over the globe?

Yes. You kill less people. You spend less money. You take away fewer rights from your citizenry.
benevolent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 1:28:57 PM
Terrorists are out for military domination, though. Or it's the lie around which they build their legacies anyway. If you cared about the world besides yourself, you'd acknowledge this, but if you don't, then you're personally justified in your ignoring it I guess. The size of the threat is irrelevant looking at it from a humanitarian pov.

I don't know how you stop terrorism. I'm thinking togetherness. Definitely not a war on terror anyway, especially not one so hypocritical as you guys are waging. You want the world to be shocked and appalled at such happenings, not thinking they're just a part of life, or worse still, an interesting part of life.

Remember the fallen, and mourn for them. Show the rest of the world that you're just like they are. Don't deify the murderers, blow them up for all the world to see. This is what they want. It's feeding them.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 1:30:07 PM
At 6/27/2013 12:55:06 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/27/2013 10:41:59 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Turkey is our ally, and this would enrage them, due to their longstanding problems with Kurdish separatists. Iran would be drawn into the conflict, on the same side as Turkey, as would Syria. It would tear up the Kurdish area itself, but would diplomatically lead to closer ties between Turkey and Iran while simultaneously leading to huge fallout between Ankara and Washington. We would also take some of the blame for worsening the situation in Syria. The conflict, in other words, would unify enemies against a common foe, and against us for putting them in that situation to begin with. It'd be a second Israel, uniting the region against the West.

I am not familiar with the makeup of Kurdish populations in Middle Eastern countries.

My point was specific that artificial boundaries causing unwarranted conflict plays to the interests of countries left out of the conflict. India/Pakistan is archetypal of this, IMHO. Obviously if Turkey is sucked into a Kurdish conflict, and we would rather Turkey not, then such delineations should not occur.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 1:32:12 PM

Do you believe that if we pull out of the middle east, that the "terrorists" will not target us anymore?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2013 1:32:38 PM
At 6/27/2013 1:01:37 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/27/2013 10:21:49 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Terrorists aren't Fascists. They aren't out for military domination. They don't have the resources to accomplish that goal. They use our own fears and emotions to manipulate into doing irrational things that are self-injuring. They have the power to to affect us only because they prey on those emotions. I'm not saying that no countermeasures are warranted, but the measures which we have adopted cause much more harm than the attacks which they are meant to prevent. The minute we pass that threshold, we've provided the terrorists with the only power over us that they will ever have. And the further down that road that we travel, the more power we give them.

If what you are saying is that we should reciprocate by allocating resources commensurate with the threat, of course I agree with you. However, that is very different from "stop being afraid of it," which is an absolutist position. You continue to have justifiable fears, and you meet these fears with a justifiable response.