What is Racist?

jimtimmy2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 5:34:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
On wikipedia, racism is defined as:

"Views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior, or superior."

Do you agree or disagree with this definition?

If you agree, me nor most who accept the science on race and IQ are racist. I don't believe that any race is "superior" to another. I know that races are different in many traits but different =/= superior/inferior.

Likewise, I wouldn't necessarily endorse the word "distinct". I think race is a useful way to loosely divide groups by evolutionary nation, but there is a lot of overlap. Race is real, but races are not purely distinct (even though it is relatively easy to categorize).

I don't wanna go back into the race topic again, which never ended well. But, this is to correct those that call me and others racist for accepting mainstream science.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 5:39:35 PM
"Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race"
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 5:41:32 PM
If my understanding is correct, this is the debate that caused the racist claims against jimtimmy

http://www.debate.org...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
jimtimmy2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 5:43:15 PM
At 6/28/2013 5:41:32 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
If my understanding is correct, this is the debate that caused the racist claims against jimtimmy

Actually, it was before then. The lesson here is never to say you believe in mainstream science if mainstream science contradicts PC dogma. The PC dogma is always assumed to be correct, even if there is a scientific consensus to the contrary.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 5:44:53 PM
please stop making threads.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 5:48:41 PM

Ike didn't address the law of middle exclusion.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 5:49:31 PM
At 6/28/2013 5:39:35 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
"Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race"

^

I will add that my limited exposure to jimtimmy2 hasn't led me to conclude that he is racist in any manner.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 5:49:35 PM
At 6/28/2013 5:48:41 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

How does the law of excluded middle apply?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:10:10 PM
At 6/28/2013 5:49:35 PM, 000ike wrote:

I concede and add only as a relevant observation: Assuming one exact definition for intelligence, one race is inherently more intelligent than the other. That's a law of logic. To what degree and with what significance that difference entails is entirely up for debate, though. I guess you could claim that insofar as intelligence is not infinitely definable this is not the case, making small differences between the races indistinguishable and making the statement 'Caucasians are more intelligent than blacks' effectively left up for debate.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:12:05 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:10:10 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I concede and add only as a relevant observation: Assuming one exact definition for intelligence, one race is inherently more intelligent than the other. That's a law of logic. To what degree and with what significance that difference entails is entirely up for debate, though. I guess you could claim that insofar as intelligence is not infinitely definable this is not the case, making small differences between the races indistinguishable and making the statement 'Blacks and whites are inherently of equal intelligence.'

Fixed
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:17:34 PM

I concede and add only as a relevant observation: Assuming one exact definition for intelligence, one race is inherently more intelligent than the other. That's a law of logic. To what degree and with what significance that difference entails is entirely up for debate, though. I guess you could claim that insofar as intelligence is not infinitely definable this is not the case, making small differences between the races indistinguishable and making the statement 'Caucasians are more intelligent than blacks' effectively left up for debate.

No, no, no. The issue isn't just white people are smarter than black people - the argument was whether the disparity between the IQ bell curves of both races was inherent to the races - as in do white people tend to have higher IQs because they're white or are there external circumstances which explain the gap without making it intrinsic to the genetic makeup of each race? The congruous variation of IQ with social circumstance suggested that education, culture, history, and socioeconomics had more to do with the statistical inequality than anything else.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:20:41 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:17:34 PM, 000ike wrote:

No, no, no. The issue isn't just white people are smarter than black people - the argument was whether the disparity between the IQ bell curves of both races was inherent to the races - as in do white people tend to have higher IQs because they're white or are there external circumstances which explain the gap without making it intrinsic to the genetic makeup of each race? The congruous variation of IQ with social circumstance suggested that education, culture, history, and socioeconomics had more to do with the statistical inequality than anything else.

I fail to see the difference as you focus on that to begin with. Whether or not we can determine this with empirical data is irrelevant to that law of logic.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:22:41 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:20:41 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I fail to see the difference as you focus on that to begin with. Whether or not we can determine this with empirical data is irrelevant to that law of logic.

What exactly are you arguing?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:24:56 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:22:41 PM, 000ike wrote:

Either blacks or whites are inherently more intelligent -we don't even need to talk about what they score on IQ tests- than the other if we operate with an infinitely definable definition that accommodates for the infinitely definable nature that makes this law of logic valid. So in short: my point is useless but interesting to think about.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:29:00 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:24:56 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Either blacks or whites are inherently more intelligent -we don't even need to talk about what they score on IQ tests- than the other if we operate with an infinitely definable definition that accommodates for the infinitely definable nature that makes this law of logic valid. So in short: my point is useless but interesting to think about.

I'm not following your reasoning. In what way can't black and white intelligence be logically equal? How does the law of excluded middle prevent this?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:32:16 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:29:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/28/2013 6:24:56 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I'm not following your reasoning. In what way can't black and white intelligence be logically equal? How does the law of excluded middle prevent this?

Think of it in terms of the average height of the two races, while remembering that intelligence doesn't work in same exactly-definable manner as height and that is the only reason it's left up for debate.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:33:48 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:32:16 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Think of it in terms of the average height of the two races, while remembering that intelligence doesn't work in same exactly-definable manner as height and that is the only reason it's left up for debate.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying now that Black and White people can't have equal average heights?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:35:49 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:33:48 PM, 000ike wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying now that Black and White people can't have equal average heights?

Without a doubt they cannot.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:37:11 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:35:49 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

lol who told you that?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:37:48 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:37:11 PM, 000ike wrote:

lol who told you that?

Math and logic.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:40:11 PM
Ike, it's not even a matter of my opinion. For two things to be declared 'equal' you must know EXACTLY what each one entails infinitely. Without the law of identify, you ain't gettin there.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:40:15 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:37:48 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 6/28/2013 6:37:11 PM, 000ike wrote:

lol who told you that?

Math and logic.

lol And what laws of mathmatics and/or logic brought you to this conclusion?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:40:59 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:40:11 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Ike, it's not even a matter of my opinion. For two things to be declared 'equal' you must know EXACTLY what each one entails infinitely. Without the law of identify, you ain't gettin there.

In knowledge and in fact.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:43:34 PM

suppose there are 5 white people in the world and 2 black people in the world.

Black 1: 5 ft
Black 2: 7 ft

White 1: 6 ft
White 2: 8 ft
White 3: 4 ft
White 4: 5 ft
White 5: 7 ft

Black Avg.: 6 ft
White Avg. : 6 ft

Boom. Equal average heights.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:43:57 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:43:34 PM, 000ike wrote:

lol at your impossible heights
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:49:28 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:43:57 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

But has my point been taken? That's the question.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:51:47 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:49:28 PM, 000ike wrote:

No, because that remark is the whole point. The entire friggin point. Btw, all that you did was rearrange the law of identify.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:52:14 PM
wow we hijacked jimtimmy's thread. But he wasn't doing anything with it...

So anyway, favorite tv shows anyone?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:53:00 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:52:14 PM, 000ike wrote:
wow we hijacked jimtimmy's thread. But he wasn't doing anything with it...

So anyway, favorite tv shows anyone?

"Ike is wrong" featuring Ike.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 6:53:43 PM
At 6/28/2013 6:51:47 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 6/28/2013 6:49:28 PM, 000ike wrote:

No, because that remark is the whole point. The entire friggin point. Btw, all that you did was rearrange the law of identify.

The whole point of what? You said that Black people and White people can't possibly have equal average heights...and I just showed created a scenario in which they do. I thought that was the end of the argument.