Jump to topic:

Fireworks rant

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 9:08:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Now I understand the necessity of government. A lot of public goods, regulations and social programs can be provided by the state. How much is up to debate.

However, there is absolutely no reason why fireworks should be subsidized by taxpayers. Are they a public good? No. You can easily charge people for a fireworks show. Theoretically, someone can watch it from afar, but they usually have the fireworks in a park, and going into the surrounding areas, would just be either roads, or by the trees where you can't get a good view anyways. It's the same reason why people pay to go to outdoor concerts, even though you could theoretically listen to them outside the concert. There's no reason that a music festival has to be paid for by the state.

Nor does it really benefit poor people in anyway. Yea, sure it might be more expensive for them to go to a firework show. But one can easily apply that argument to state that we should make everything free and live in an egalitarian/communist society, which only a very small percentage of the population agrees would be a good idea. And this would be more of an argument for redistribution policy rather than free shows. Fact is,, the poor aren't substantially better off w/ a firework show (unlikely something of greater value like education).

So the way I see it, firework shows are just a giant waste of taxpayers money. This isn't a celebration of independence day, its a slap in the face of the founding fathers, stating that we'd raise taxes so we can pay frivolous things like fireworks, while america was founded on the fact that they didn't like high taxes.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 9:36:48 PM
At 7/3/2013 9:35:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I didn't even know they were subsidized.

How do you think firework shows are paid for?
Open borders debate:
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 9:47:08 PM
At 7/3/2013 9:08:05 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Now I understand the necessity of government. A lot of public goods, regulations and social programs can be provided by the state. How much is up to debate.

However, there is absolutely no reason why fireworks should be subsidized by taxpayers. Are they a public good? No. You can easily charge people for a fireworks show. Theoretically, someone can watch it from afar, but they usually have the fireworks in a park, and going into the surrounding areas, would just be either roads, or by the trees where you can't get a good view anyways. It's the same reason why people pay to go to outdoor concerts, even though you could theoretically listen to them outside the concert. There's no reason that a music festival has to be paid for by the state.

Nor does it really benefit poor people in anyway. Yea, sure it might be more expensive for them to go to a firework show. But one can easily apply that argument to state that we should make everything free and live in an egalitarian/communist society, which only a very small percentage of the population agrees would be a good idea. And this would be more of an argument for redistribution policy rather than free shows. Fact is,, the poor aren't substantially better off w/ a firework show (unlikely something of greater value like education).

So the way I see it, firework shows are just a giant waste of taxpayers money. This isn't a celebration of independence day, its a slap in the face of the founding fathers, stating that we'd raise taxes so we can pay frivolous things like fireworks, while america was founded on the fact that they didn't like high taxes.

The point is still accurate, and I hate getting into "founders' intent" arguments, but strangely, Independence Day was like the one exception it seemed to a lot of them.

" I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more." - John Adams

Also, in the initial years of the United States, Philadelphia not only had fireworks, but held citywide public festivals and feasts and toasts celebrating Independence Day.

I know it's a non sequitur. But I felt I had to say something.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 9:48:48 PM
At 7/3/2013 9:36:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 7/3/2013 9:35:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I didn't even know they were subsidized.

How do you think firework shows are paid for?

Well, I was under the impression they were private. At least the ones I've been to.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 9:49:09 PM
At 7/3/2013 9:47:08 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/3/2013 9:08:05 PM, darkkermit wrote:

The point is still accurate, and I hate getting into "founders' intent" arguments, but strangely, Independence Day was like the one exception it seemed to a lot of them.

" I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more." - John Adams

Also, in the initial years of the United States, Philadelphia not only had fireworks, but held citywide public festivals and feasts and toasts celebrating Independence Day.

I know it's a non sequitur. But I felt I had to say something.

Fair enough, I used the founders intent argument first as well.
Open borders debate: