Jump to topic:

Anyone else see a problem with this?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:36:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Jimmy Kimmel does the same thing... but with adults. When it's adults that are being made to look stupid, I don't really have much of a problem with it. When it's kids, I do sort of take issue with it.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2013 11:45:39 PM
These types of things are often misleading. If you ask 100 people basic questions, enough are going to get it wrong that you can show those who just looked stupid and not show the rest. Add to this that people generally get nervous with a camera in front of them while asked questions and they are less likely to answer correctly.

So what do videos of these type show exactly?

In a video intended to make whatever group look dumb, that asked X number of people out of Y (but X and Y unknown), got some basic questions wrong and looked dumb.

It's intended to assert that some entire group are in fact generally stupid, but relies on methodology that is just entertainment.

Is it wrong? I don't think so. As long as those students consented, why not? It's just dumb entertainment and it can be pretty funny what people answer.

Bin Laden is the VP?! Hilarious.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 12:46:56 AM
At 7/8/2013 12:41:50 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Another thing is you have to question these videos legitimacy.

However, if it is legitimate I want to know what school this is...

It's likely legit in the sense that these people probably did answer incorrectly. But in any large enough sample there are going to be people who just seem dumb. What these types of videos (like "Jay walking" and the like) never show is the sample size and how many people got the questions right. But that would defeat the purpose as it's intended just to show the funny parts and imply the entire group is dumb... Which makes for good entertainment.
Debate.org Moderator
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 12:52:02 AM
At 7/8/2013 12:46:56 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/8/2013 12:41:50 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Another thing is you have to question these videos legitimacy.

However, if it is legitimate I want to know what school this is...

It's likely legit in the sense that these people probably did answer incorrectly. But in any large enough sample there are going to be people who just seem dumb. What these types of videos (like "Jay walking" and the like) never show is the sample size and how many people got the questions right. But that would defeat the purpose as it's intended just to show the funny parts and imply the entire group is dumb... Which makes for good entertainment.

Yeah I know, my school did a segment like this where they asked people the definition of complicated words. I always find them amusing and not at all bad really. It really is harmless entertainment.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 6:08:36 AM
At 7/8/2013 2:46:06 AM, 1Percenter wrote:
"Canada? That's a state nevermind."

I lol'd.

What about when they asked "In what war did the US gain its independence?", and the kid answered "I was never taught that."
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 12:30:50 PM
At 7/8/2013 6:08:36 AM, DanT wrote:
At 7/8/2013 2:46:06 AM, 1Percenter wrote:
"Canada? That's a state nevermind."

I lol'd.

What about when they asked "In what war did the US gain its independence?", and the kid answered "I was never taught that."

That one was the most sad I think. How do you not know about the Revolutionary War? That question was the easiest.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 2:12:40 PM
Even though videos like this are hilarious, it's also hilarious that a lot of people who watch it say "lol this is why Americans r da dumbz" or "lol r public schoolz is dumbz." It's like people forget that these videos are edited to weed out the people who actually know what the fvck they're doing.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 2:15:29 PM
I WILL say though that I'm surprised these people couldn't even intelligently guess on the independence one.

In what WAR did the US gain its INDEPENDENCE? You could easily guess the, I dunno, American War of Independence?! Which is, you know, correct?

Then again, I guess the individuals who couldn't get those answers probably wouldn't have the ability to guess intelligently.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 3:06:45 PM
We can assume one of two things. Either the numerous examples of these cases are misrepresentative, or they are not.

Now, watch any show like 'pointless'in the UK, and we get, say, '88/100 know diamond is a precious stone'. Applying this to these types of questions, what ought we expect for a highly educated country? How many people ought to be able to not know a country beginning with u for example? One in ten? One in a hundred? I'd say this is really too many people. But the number of mistakes by so many people in one place makes quite high numbers.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 5:26:59 PM
At 7/7/2013 11:33:08 PM, DanT wrote:
This is just wrong.

Don't be such a pessimist, those things are just useless facts. The important thing is that we taught them how to put on condoms and support gay marriage, right??
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 5:31:31 PM
At 7/8/2013 5:26:59 PM, medic0506 wrote:
This is just wrong.

Don't be such a pessimist, those things are just useless facts. The important thing is that we taught them how to put on condoms and support gay marriage, right??

How you managed to juxtapose two totally unrelated things to convey one poorly thought out point is beyond me. It takes quite a bit of skill to be so dense so often.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 5:44:48 PM
At 7/8/2013 5:26:59 PM, medic0506 wrote:
This is just wrong.

The funny thing is that those two are very good things.

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 6:57:48 AM
A country that begins with a U... Europe, right?

OMG, we forgot the USA. :O
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!