TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 4:45:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Seems like Edward Snowden has an ally now in the US

http://www.cnn.com...

How do you think this is going to turn out? Heck, why is this even such a big deal? Hasn't prism been around since 2007? Is this new info really?

What do you guys think?
Thank you for voting!
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 5:56:31 AM
At 7/13/2013 4:45:11 AM, TheHitchslap wrote:

How do you think this is going to turn out? Heck, why is this even such a big deal? Hasn't prism been around since 2007? Is this new info really?

What do you guys think?

I think it's a crapshoot how this is going to turn out. Will they rule with the Constitution or the interests of the Federal government?

I definitely think that a government that insists on running secret courts and secret monitoring for secret prosecutions is sickening and frightening and prone to abuse.

Everyone keeps asking what the big deal is because "What are you worried about if you have nothing to hide?"

Just remember. The U.S. government is hiding an entire judicial system right now. So what are they worried about if they have nothing to hide?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 11:14:53 AM

What do you guys think?

Snowden has graduated from PRISM leaks to international espionage. In that realm, I wouldn't be against assassinating him.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 11:40:36 AM
At 7/13/2013 11:14:53 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

What do you guys think?

Snowden has graduated from PRISM leaks to international espionage. In that realm, I wouldn't be against assassinating him.

International espionage? I haven't herd that one, how so?
Thank you for voting!
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 12:55:04 PM
At 7/13/2013 11:40:36 AM, TheHitchslap wrote:
At 7/13/2013 11:14:53 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

What do you guys think?

International espionage? I haven't herd that one, how so?

So far, I can recall that he divulged information on US cyber-warfare against China, and ostensibly unwarranted wire tapping of EU officials. This goes above and beyond PRISM and may affect how US prosecutes and projects power overseas, where the legality is much less strict and thus government action much more justifiable.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 3:27:27 PM

What do you guys think?

I think the only thing we can be certain of is it's going to turn out very bad for Snowden.

He's made enemies with very powerful people in high places, the very kind of powerful people you do not want as enemies, and that is a very big deal.

The US want him bad and the US has huge influence everywhere, there's no place to hide, there's no place out there where he could possibly be worth the trouble the US can, and appears completely willing to bring, there's just no way this has a good ending for him, in the end he's hopelessly screwed.

I'd go so far as to say the media attention is probably the only reason he's even alive right now, and the kind of people he's made enemies out of have a much longer memory than the media and they have a much longer attention span than the public, I'm thinking the upside for him is he goes to prison, it's probably the safest place for him to be, he should be thankful if he ends up there.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 3:54:21 PM
At 7/13/2013 5:56:31 AM, Naysayer wrote:
I definitely think that a government that insists on running secret courts and secret monitoring for secret prosecutions is sickening and frightening and prone to abuse.

Everyone keeps asking what the big deal is because "What are you worried about if you have nothing to hide?"

Just remember. The U.S. government is hiding an entire judicial system right now.

Gonna sig this, lol
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 4:34:43 PM
At 7/13/2013 3:54:21 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 7/13/2013 5:56:31 AM, Naysayer wrote:

Just remember. The U.S. government is hiding an entire judicial system right now.

Gonna sig this, lol

LOL no doubt
Thank you for voting!
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 4:40:22 PM
At 7/13/2013 2:29:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:
"Surveillance court"

I'm interested in this.

Basically, FISA court set up several decades ago to fast-track wiretapping warrants related to international espionage. "warrantless wiretapping" was when FISA courts would basically sign blank checks for whoever the NSA wanted to wiretap.

They only hear the government's argument and no one else is allowed to sit in since ostensibly it's time-sensitive and national security-related. It's never seriously challenged a government attempt at wiretapping that wasn't outright ridiculous. So it's called "rubber-stamping" or "kangaroo court."

There's legitimate reason to keep things secret, but at least there should be some specified public defender who tries to show the other side to the courts.

Granted, the argument then is 'how do we know the public defender isn't just going along with everyone else?'
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 8:38:56 PM
I don't think it's alright for the government to operate in secret. There very well may be reasons, but that goes without saying if it's really worth the cost.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 10:58:31 PM
At 7/13/2013 8:38:56 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I don't think it's alright for the government to operate in secret. There very well may be reasons, but that goes without saying if it's really worth the cost.

In general maybe, but secrecy is certainly called for in a wide range of military and homeland security operations for very good reasons.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater