Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Stalin apparently still popular in Russia.

charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:37:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Yeah, and Harry Truman was responsible for an atomic holocaust; for an American aggression in Korea; and the birth of the national security state was on his watch, yet by many he's merely remembered as a "straight shooter". On William McKinley's watch perhaps as many as a million human beings in the Philippines became the casualties of American imperialism, but is he remembered as one of the great killers of history? Historically illiterate Americans hardly remember him at all. Mm-hmm, it would seem that the evils of historical characters are often poorly remembered and not properly factored into an evaluation of their role in history or their putative "greatness". Ergo, why pick on Russians for failing to appreciate the vileness of Stalin? Could it perchance have something to do with an anti-communist bias?
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:43:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 8:37:07 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Yeah, and Harry Truman was responsible for an atomic holocaust; for an American aggression in Korea; and the birth of the national security state was on his watch, yet by many he's merely remembered as a "straight shooter". On William McKinley's watch perhaps as many as a million human beings in the Philippines became the casualties of American imperialism, but is he remembered as one of the great killers of history? Historically illiterate Americans hardly remember him at all. Mm-hmm, it would seem that the evils of historical characters are often poorly remembered and not properly factored into an evaluation of their role in history or their putative "greatness". Ergo, why pick on Russians for failing to appreciate the vileness of Stalin? Could it perchance have something to do with an anti-communist bias?

I think the major difference is that Stalin orchestrated the purge of millions of his own country's people. Sure, Truman remains the only person to utilize nuclear weapons on a civilian population, or any population for that matter. However, and this is nt to say that it is any more or less permissible, but a country tends to ignore the atrocities committed on another people relatively speaking. The surprising thing about Stalin is that Russians still look to him as a hero when he slaughtered thousands upon thousands of RUSSIANS and other Soviet citizens.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:46:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It's the same country that jails its citizens for protesting and "blaspheming" the church. I'm just not surprised.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:09:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What did Stalin even do that was so heroic? He wasn't responsible for defeating the Nazis, the horrific Russian winter and the slave-factories of the Soviet Union took care of that. He if anything caused the crisis in the first place for totally mishandling the initial response to Barbarossa.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:18:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Should we be surprised? Russians love Putin, and Putin's a thug who crushes liberty. The Russian people, pace Gary Kasparov, seem all too content with giving up their liberties in exchange for a powerful, centralized state attached to antiquated values and nostalgic for Soviet-era dominance.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:19:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Americans are similar in their absurd reverence for their leaders. The Native American holocaust is comparable, in scope, to the red terror.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:21:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 9:18:39 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Should we be surprised? Russians love Putin, and Putin's a thug who crushes liberty. The Russian people, pace Gary Kasparov, seem all too content with giving up their liberties in exchange for a powerful, centralized state attached to antiquated values and nostalgic for Soviet-era dominance.

This.

There's a reason why nostalgia and longing for the old ways are often looked down upon. They lead to bullsh1t like the relinquishing of liberties and the enforcement of "old values."

I personally say that usually they're OLD values for a reason.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:23:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 9:19:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Americans are similar in their absurd reverence for their leaders. The Native American holocaust is comparable, in scope, to the red terror.

But as I said to Charles, the comparison is still weak. The difference is that again, the abuse that Europeans and "new Americans," if you will, inflicted on Native Americans is something that is largely removed ethnically from the American populace. However, Stalin is an example of a leader who literally purged millions of actual Russians as we see populating most of the country today.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:33:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Held by a TV station. Let's hold of judgement to if that is an accurate representation of all of Russia.

I mean, if FOX news held a vote on "Worst US Presidents" it would be very different than is MSNBC held the same poll.

Did they use any control to ensure that no one voted more than once? Or was it an open poll that you could vote 500 times a day if you were dedicated enough? Also, since it included the internet, can we be sure that 4chan or other internet trolls didn't participate to skew the results?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 12:18:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 8:43:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:37:07 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Yeah, and Harry Truman was responsible for an atomic holocaust; for an American aggression in Korea; and the birth of the national security state was on his watch, yet by many he's merely remembered as a "straight shooter". On William McKinley's watch perhaps as many as a million human beings in the Philippines became the casualties of American imperialism, but is he remembered as one of the great killers of history? Historically illiterate Americans hardly remember him at all. Mm-hmm, it would seem that the evils of historical characters are often poorly remembered and not properly factored into an evaluation of their role in history or their putative "greatness". Ergo, why pick on Russians for failing to appreciate the vileness of Stalin? Could it perchance have something to do with an anti-communist bias?

I think the major difference is that Stalin orchestrated the purge of millions of his own country's people. Sure, Truman remains the only person to utilize nuclear weapons on a civilian population, or any population for that matter. However, and this is nt to say that it is any more or less permissible, but a country tends to ignore the atrocities committed on another people relatively speaking. The surprising thing about Stalin is that Russians still look to him as a hero when he slaughtered thousands upon thousands of RUSSIANS and other Soviet citizens.

Yes, Americans are geographically removed from such episodes as the incineration of the civilian population of Hiroshima or the mass-murderous response to the Filipino freedom fighters who resisted US imperialism, which (only) partially accounts for their lack of appreciation of the enormity of the villainy perpetrated by their government and ruling elite. But Russians are equally removed, temporally, from the totalitarian reign of terror, purges, and mass liquidation of the Stalin era. Evil that hasn't been personally experienced or witnessed, either because it occurred in another place or time, is often not sufficiently appreciated. But the question remains, why focus on the modern Russian's failure to take the full measure of Joseph Stalin's dastardliness? And I can't help but recurring to the obvious explanation, the anti-communist bias that's been inculcated in Americans.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:35:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 9:18:39 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Should we be surprised? Russians love Putin, and Putin's a thug who crushes liberty. The Russian people, pace Gary Kasparov, seem all too content with giving up their liberties in exchange for a powerful, centralized state attached to antiquated values and nostalgic for Soviet-era dominance.

Haha, Americans like their cultural hubris, don't they? Authoritarianism is inherent to Russian culture. It doesn't have to be bad, necessarily, because it often works. Maybe it's just because Russia is such an enormously spread out country it requires centralized state to hold together. But Putin does what the people really want- not some obscure democratic to "choose" their leaders, but an end to the poverty and chaos of the post-Soviet era.

I know that some silly Americans like to fawn over videos of Russian police breaking up peaceful protests with tear gas, but you know what? The government wants their own people to see it. The Russian government cannot be retrained by internal political backlash, and they're too big and influential internationally to be pressured from the outside. No one can do a goddamn thing about it, and those who tell you differently; that the world needs some sort of democratic or socialist revolution (Noam Chomsky or whatever) should not be given the minimal amount of credibility. Putin wants the dissidents to understand that they are at the mercy of the ruling party. It's not evil, it's Machiavellian, and I don't see why those methods are necessarily bad.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:38:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 12:18:10 AM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:43:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:37:07 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Yeah, and Harry Truman was responsible for an atomic holocaust; for an American aggression in Korea; and the birth of the national security state was on his watch, yet by many he's merely remembered as a "straight shooter". On William McKinley's watch perhaps as many as a million human beings in the Philippines became the casualties of American imperialism, but is he remembered as one of the great killers of history? Historically illiterate Americans hardly remember him at all. Mm-hmm, it would seem that the evils of historical characters are often poorly remembered and not properly factored into an evaluation of their role in history or their putative "greatness". Ergo, why pick on Russians for failing to appreciate the vileness of Stalin? Could it perchance have something to do with an anti-communist bias?

I think the major difference is that Stalin orchestrated the purge of millions of his own country's people. Sure, Truman remains the only person to utilize nuclear weapons on a civilian population, or any population for that matter. However, and this is nt to say that it is any more or less permissible, but a country tends to ignore the atrocities committed on another people relatively speaking. The surprising thing about Stalin is that Russians still look to him as a hero when he slaughtered thousands upon thousands of RUSSIANS and other Soviet citizens.

Yes, Americans are geographically removed from such episodes as the incineration of the civilian population of Hiroshima or the mass-murderous response to the Filipino freedom fighters who resisted US imperialism, which (only) partially accounts for their lack of appreciation of the enormity of the villainy perpetrated by their government and ruling elite. But Russians are equally removed, temporally, from the totalitarian reign of terror, purges, and mass liquidation of the Stalin era. Evil that hasn't been personally experienced or witnessed, either because it occurred in another place or time, is often not sufficiently appreciated. But the question remains, why focus on the modern Russian's failure to take the full measure of Joseph Stalin's dastardliness? And I can't help but recurring to the obvious explanation, the anti-communist bias that's been inculcated in Americans.

No, such traumatic events tend to linger in the cultural memory of a people, and even people from the Stalin era still like him. I think it's because the old personality cult has stuck around through the decades. Look at Putin, he has one too.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 10:39:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 10:35:44 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:18:39 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Should we be surprised? Russians love Putin, and Putin's a thug who crushes liberty. The Russian people, pace Gary Kasparov, seem all too content with giving up their liberties in exchange for a powerful, centralized state attached to antiquated values and nostalgic for Soviet-era dominance.

Haha, Americans like their cultural hubris, don't they? Authoritarianism is inherent to Russian culture. It doesn't have to be bad, necessarily, because it often works. Maybe it's just because Russia is such an enormously spread out country it requires centralized state to hold together. But Putin does what the people really want- not some obscure democratic to "choose" their leaders, but an end to the poverty and chaos of the post-Soviet era.

I know that some silly Americans like to fawn over videos of Russian police breaking up peaceful protests with tear gas, but you know what? The government wants their own people to see it. The Russian government cannot be retrained by internal political backlash, and they're too big and influential internationally to be pressured from the outside. No one can do a goddamn thing about it, and those who tell you differently; that the world needs some sort of democratic or socialist revolution (Noam Chomsky or whatever) should not be given the minimal amount of credibility. Putin wants the dissidents to understand that they are at the mercy of the ruling party. It's not evil, it's Machiavellian, and I don't see why those methods are necessarily bad.

*obscure democratic ability to choose their leaders
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 4:12:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 9:23:51 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:19:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Americans are similar in their absurd reverence for their leaders. The Native American holocaust is comparable, in scope, to the red terror.

But as I said to Charles, the comparison is still weak. The difference is that again, the abuse that Europeans and "new Americans," if you will, inflicted on Native Americans is something that is largely removed ethnically from the American populace. However, Stalin is an example of a leader who literally purged millions of actual Russians as we see populating most of the country today.

I don't see your point.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 4:17:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Well the poll asks people to vote for their favorite Russian, Im guessing that the problem is that most people cant name more then 3 famous Russians who werent somehow tyrannical dictators, which is how Stalin got picked
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 4:18:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 4:12:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:23:51 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:19:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Americans are similar in their absurd reverence for their leaders. The Native American holocaust is comparable, in scope, to the red terror.

But as I said to Charles, the comparison is still weak. The difference is that again, the abuse that Europeans and "new Americans," if you will, inflicted on Native Americans is something that is largely removed ethnically from the American populace. However, Stalin is an example of a leader who literally purged millions of actual Russians as we see populating most of the country today.

I don't see your point.

My point is that Americans are more justified in revering their old leaders (even if the leaders were a bit morally bankrupt) than Russians revering Stalin.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 4:32:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 4:18:16 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/17/2013 4:12:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:23:51 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:19:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Americans are similar in their absurd reverence for their leaders. The Native American holocaust is comparable, in scope, to the red terror.

But as I said to Charles, the comparison is still weak. The difference is that again, the abuse that Europeans and "new Americans," if you will, inflicted on Native Americans is something that is largely removed ethnically from the American populace. However, Stalin is an example of a leader who literally purged millions of actual Russians as we see populating most of the country today.

I don't see your point.

My point is that Americans are more justified in revering their old leaders (even if the leaders were a bit morally bankrupt) than Russians revering Stalin.

What does ethnicity have to do with the justification?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 4:41:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 4:32:58 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/17/2013 4:18:16 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/17/2013 4:12:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:23:51 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:19:54 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Americans are similar in their absurd reverence for their leaders. The Native American holocaust is comparable, in scope, to the red terror.

But as I said to Charles, the comparison is still weak. The difference is that again, the abuse that Europeans and "new Americans," if you will, inflicted on Native Americans is something that is largely removed ethnically from the American populace. However, Stalin is an example of a leader who literally purged millions of actual Russians as we see populating most of the country today.

I don't see your point.

My point is that Americans are more justified in revering their old leaders (even if the leaders were a bit morally bankrupt) than Russians revering Stalin.

What does ethnicity have to do with the justification?

What I mean is that Americans would be more justified because the leaders they revere never committed atrocities against the entire US, whereas Stalin purged people across the USSR.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 4:46:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 4:17:07 PM, imabench wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Well the poll asks people to vote for their favorite Russian, Im guessing that the problem is that most people cant name more then 3 famous Russians who werent somehow tyrannical dictators, which is how Stalin got picked

Mate, I'm pretty sure that most russians can name plenty of famous Russians.
Though in all seriousness (Heresy!) I bet you could if you thought a mo'.
Anna Pavlova, Maria Sharapova, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy,Chekhov and Pavlov without even really trying.
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 4:50:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
To all of the people bringing up atomic bombs: You guys DO realize that we intentionally avoided bombing the most highly populated cities since we preferred to get our point across without killing too many people, and that a land invasion would have killed at least one million Americans and several million Japanese, right? The atomic bomb was not a bad decision, and its use SAVED lives.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 4:50:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 4:46:03 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 7/17/2013 4:17:07 PM, imabench wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Well the poll asks people to vote for their favorite Russian, Im guessing that the problem is that most people cant name more then 3 famous Russians who werent somehow tyrannical dictators, which is how Stalin got picked

Mate, I'm pretty sure that most russians can name plenty of famous Russians.
Though in all seriousness (Heresy!) I bet you could if you thought a mo'.
Anna Pavlova, Maria Sharapova, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy,Chekhov and Pavlov without even really trying.

oh the poll was held IN Russia.

didnt see that, whoopsie on my part
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 3:25:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 10:35:44 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:18:39 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Should we be surprised? Russians love Putin, and Putin's a thug who crushes liberty. The Russian people, pace Gary Kasparov, seem all too content with giving up their liberties in exchange for a powerful, centralized state attached to antiquated values and nostalgic for Soviet-era dominance.

Haha, Americans like their cultural hubris, don't they? Authoritarianism is inherent to Russian culture. It doesn't have to be bad, necessarily, because it often works. Maybe it's just because Russia is such an enormously spread out country it requires centralized state to hold together. But Putin does what the people really want- not some obscure democratic to "choose" their leaders, but an end to the poverty and chaos of the post-Soviet era.

I know that some silly Americans like to fawn over videos of Russian police breaking up peaceful protests with tear gas, but you know what? The government wants their own people to see it. The Russian government cannot be retrained by internal political backlash, and they're too big and influential internationally to be pressured from the outside. No one can do a goddamn thing about it, and those who tell you differently; that the world needs some sort of democratic or socialist revolution (Noam Chomsky or whatever) should not be given the minimal amount of credibility. Putin wants the dissidents to understand that they are at the mercy of the ruling party. It's not evil, it's Machiavellian, and I don't see why those methods are necessarily bad.

I don't know whether this post is really worth responding to since it really just seems like a glorification of authoritarianism and relies on some very clearly weak points ('Russia's a really large country geographically speaking; they need someone to hold it together or it'll all fall apart!) but I'm a little bored so I'll take the bait.

For one, I don't know where my 'American cultural hubris' factors into this at all. I don't think one has to be American to view Putin as a thug or object to the blatantly homophobic policies recently passed down by the Kremlin. Now, is that what the Russian people want? If it's concerning the question of rights violation, then it's beside the point whether or not 'the people' support it.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 3:40:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/18/2013 3:25:19 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 7/17/2013 10:35:44 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 7/16/2013 9:18:39 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Should we be surprised? Russians love Putin, and Putin's a thug who crushes liberty. The Russian people, pace Gary Kasparov, seem all too content with giving up their liberties in exchange for a powerful, centralized state attached to antiquated values and nostalgic for Soviet-era dominance.

Haha, Americans like their cultural hubris, don't they? Authoritarianism is inherent to Russian culture. It doesn't have to be bad, necessarily, because it often works. Maybe it's just because Russia is such an enormously spread out country it requires centralized state to hold together. But Putin does what the people really want- not some obscure democratic to "choose" their leaders, but an end to the poverty and chaos of the post-Soviet era.

I know that some silly Americans like to fawn over videos of Russian police breaking up peaceful protests with tear gas, but you know what? The government wants their own people to see it. The Russian government cannot be retrained by internal political backlash, and they're too big and influential internationally to be pressured from the outside. No one can do a goddamn thing about it, and those who tell you differently; that the world needs some sort of democratic or socialist revolution (Noam Chomsky or whatever) should not be given the minimal amount of credibility. Putin wants the dissidents to understand that they are at the mercy of the ruling party. It's not evil, it's Machiavellian, and I don't see why those methods are necessarily bad.

I don't know whether this post is really worth responding to since it really just seems like a glorification of authoritarianism and relies on some very clearly weak points ('Russia's a really large country geographically speaking; they need someone to hold it together or it'll all fall apart!) but I'm a little bored so I'll take the bait.

Is this worth a response? Appealing to "common sense" is not considered a valid argument in most academic circles, y'know. I honestly don't see what's controversial about pointing out that authoritarianism can be effective and even superior to democratic alternatives in a lot of cases. Do you think that democracy worked out for Egypt or Mali?

For one, I don't know where my 'American cultural hubris' factors into this at all.

Well, it kinda is. No offense, but being isolated from most of the world by two huge oceans for your entire history might have had something to do with your social development.

I don't think one has to be American to view Putin as a thug or object to the blatantly homophobic policies recently passed down by the Kremlin. Now, is that what the Russian people want? If it's concerning the question of rights violation, then it's beside the point whether or not 'the people' support it.

Is there possibly a better way you could vindicate me utterly when I talk about cultural narcissism?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 6:35:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well, it kinda is. No offense, but being isolated from most of the world by two huge oceans for your entire history might have had something to do with your social development.

Yes, because I am America and so can you.
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 8:13:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Not too long ago, but not really recent, either.

"28 December 2008"
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:43:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

I once talked to a Russian friend about why so many Russians like Putin.

What she told me may be relevant.

In general, Russian culture leans towards politicians who put forward strong, protective fronts. After all the battering from various nations, they look for politicians that can protect them.

You'll notice in the article the "Great Russians" listed have, as their NOTED main accomplishment, defenders of Russian land.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:44:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/18/2013 11:43:48 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 7/16/2013 8:16:28 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

I once talked to a Russian friend about why so many Russians like Putin.

What she told me may be relevant.

In general, Russian culture leans towards politicians who put forward strong, protective fronts. After all the battering from various nations, they look for politicians that can protect them.

You'll notice in the article the "Great Russians" listed have, as their NOTED main accomplishment, defenders of Russian land.

Essentially, they're prefer a dictator that can keep them safe over a democratic whose government will fall next month.