Jump to topic:

Abortion

Cog247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 6:27:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hey, I'm new to this forum, but I was just wanting to jump right in and start off with a discussion of abortion. What are your views on the topic? Is it right or wrong to have an abortion? Why? Is it a matter of choice?

Lets get the ball rolling. :D
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 6:30:40 PM
Why don't you start by stating your stance and perhaps narrowing the topic a bit? Abortion is a big topic with many elements.

BTW, welcome.
My work here is, finally, done.
Cog247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 6:43:06 PM
Ok sorry, I am against abortion, I believe that it is wrong because the "fetus" is actually a living human being, and it shouldn't be a choice, even for the mother to make, on whether that human being should be allowed to live or die.

I would like to see what views people have on here about whether abortion is right or wrong, and reasons for why they think so.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 6:52:04 PM
At 7/17/2013 6:43:06 PM, Cog247 wrote:
Ok sorry, I am against abortion, I believe that it is wrong because the "fetus" is actually a living human being, and it shouldn't be a choice, even for the mother to make, on whether that human being should be allowed to live or die.

I would like to see what views people have on here about whether abortion is right or wrong, and reasons for why they think so.

Is it wrong to kill a human being in all circumstances?
Is it wrong to have a life form literally leech off you for nurishment, before it can live on its own (age of viability)?
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 6:56:31 PM
I'm neutral on the subject.

Mostly because:

A: I'm not sure I care.
B: Has either side really proved when the "Soul" or consciousness has actually formed? Because both sides assert a belief in favor of their argument.
C: It's a never ending issue in this country. I just want people to make a decision and move on. I feel like there are more important issues that need to be discussed.

HOWEVER, I will say this..

We give people the death sentence. We kill terrorists. We assassinate foreign political leaders in clandestine operations.

For what purpose? To ensure the maximum welfare and happiness of the people in our country.

Obviously, it has to be justified and actually WORTH it.

If 1 death prevents others from being harmed in a way that justifies that death, then why deny abortion rights?
Cog247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:10:14 PM
At 7/17/2013 6:52:04 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Is it wrong to have a life form literally leech off you for nurishment, before it can live on its own (age of viability)?

I didn't mean it was wrong to kill all humans in all circumstances (I believe that a murderer deserves capital punishment), what I said was it is nobody's choice, even the mother's, to take the life of a fetus.

And what do you mean is it wrong to have a life form leech off you for nourishment? I know that you're talking about the fetus in relation to the mother, but seriously what other way is there for a baby to be produced? That's how you were born, from your mother's womb, out of whom you had literally been leeching nutrition for the whole time you were in there. Is there anything wrong with that? No.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:16:13 PM
At 7/17/2013 7:10:14 PM, Cog247 wrote:

I didn't mean it was wrong to kill all humans in all circumstances (I believe that a murderer deserves capital punishment), what I said was it is nobody's choice, even the mother's, to take the life of a fetus.

If it isn't wrong to kill all humans, then why is it wrong to kill a fetus? What gives a fetus, whose presence is unwanted and detrimental to the woman, the right to live, when it cannot live without being an aggresor to the mother?

And what do you mean is it wrong to have a life form leech off you for nourishment? I know that you're talking about the fetus in relation to the mother, but seriously what other way is there for a baby to be produced? That's how you were born, from your mother's womb, out of whom you had literally been leeching nutrition for the whole time you were in there. Is there anything wrong with that? No.

There is something wrong with it if you don't want to share your nutrients, isn't there? It is akin to being a slave: giving up your freedom/life for another.

Now, this ends when the fetus could survive on its own, since the mother allowed it to live up to that point.
Cog247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:18:35 PM
At 7/17/2013 6:56:31 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:

Mostly because:

B: Has either side really proved when the "Soul" or consciousness has actually formed? Because both sides assert a belief in favor of their argument.
C: It's a never ending issue in this country. I just want people to make a decision and move on. I feel like there are more important issues that need to be discussed.

We give people the death sentence. We kill terrorists. We assassinate foreign political leaders in clandestine operations.

For what purpose? To ensure the maximum welfare and happiness of the people in our country.

If 1 death prevents others from being harmed in a way that justifies that death, then why deny abortion rights?

The reason we kill terrorists and assassinate political leaders is because of their actions which cause pain and death in other human beings lives. To compare a terrorist to an unborn child, is comparing someone who is clearly guilty to someone who has never even done anything to be judged by.
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:24:36 PM
At 7/17/2013 7:16:13 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

If it isn't wrong to kill all humans, then why is it wrong to kill a fetus? What gives a fetus, whose presence is unwanted and detrimental to the woman, the right to live, when it cannot live without being an aggresor to the mother?

There is something wrong with it if you don't want to share your nutrients, isn't there? It is akin to being a slave: giving up your freedom/life for another.

Now, this ends when the fetus could survive on its own, since the mother allowed it to live up to that point.

Naw, you're taking it a step too far.

We all do things we don't want to in order to ensure freedom or life for another. However minute they may be.

It's not a question of philosophy.

It's a matter of inconvenience vs harm.
In a lawless society, I still wouldn't dump my used car oil down the drain.
It's inconvenient for me, but I know that in the larger picture my inconvenience is worth preventing the kind of harm that would ensue from 7 quarts of dirty oil going places it shouldn't be. Like the ocean or in our drinking water.
Cog247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:29:28 PM

The reason that some people don't deserve to live is because of their actions e.g. A murderer deserves the death penalty because of his/her actions in taking another persons life. The fetus on the other hand hasn't done anything to deserve to die.

Omg, are you serious? It's because of the woman's decision to have sex in the first place that got her in this situation. Of course there are times e.g. Rape where it isn't the woman's decision to get pregnant, but still, what gives her the rift to decide the fetus should be killed? The fetus isn't the one to blame, it just got put into the picture because of the rapists actions, it's not the fetuses fault, so why are we leaving the decision of whether it should live or die up to the woman?
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:31:31 PM
At 7/17/2013 7:18:35 PM, Cog247 wrote:

Mostly because:

The reason we kill terrorists and assassinate political leaders is because of their actions which cause pain and death in other human beings lives. To compare a terrorist to an unborn child, is comparing someone who is clearly guilty to someone who has never even done anything to be judged by.

I wasn't trying to equivocate a terrorist and an unborn child.

I was demonstrating a point.

Society has already accepted that sometimes it's better to:
Kill 1 Person > Let many persons suffer.

If you concede that there are certain situations in which keeping a baby can cause more pain and suffering to other humans then you can't discount abortion as a whole.
Cog247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:36:43 PM
At 7/17/2013 7:31:31 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:
At 7/17/2013 7:18:35 PM, Cog247 wrote:

Mostly because:

I wasn't trying to equivocate a terrorist and an unborn child.

If you concede that there are certain situations in which keeping a baby can cause more pain and suffering to other humans then you can't discount abortion as a whole.

But even if the mother were to die in child birth (something you can't determine is going to happen until it's happening) the loss is still only equal to what is gained. You used the equation of "kill 1 person > let many persons suffer" well even in a worse case scenario one life is lost, and one is gained.

But if this is the way you think about it, then why do you think it is still the mothers choice even when the mothers life isn't in danger?
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:37:13 PM

Omg, are you serious? It's because of the woman's decision to have sex in the first place that got her in this situation. Of course there are times e.g. Rape where it isn't the woman's decision to get pregnant, but still, what gives her the rift to decide the fetus should be killed? The fetus isn't the one to blame, it just got put into the picture because of the rapists actions, it's not the fetuses fault, so why are we leaving the decision of whether it should live or die up to the woman?

I hate that argument. Do you really think every woman is going to get an abortion if they got pregnant at an inconvenient time? Like really? Human's DO have morality you know. I have seen plenty of girls at my High School who chose to have their child despite being able to abort.

Who are you to tell the girl who got raped what's best for her?
-_- We can't honestly say that keeping that child would be the best decision for all parties involved. The fetus, the woman, or the rapist.
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:42:06 PM
At 7/17/2013 7:36:43 PM, Cog247 wrote:
At 7/17/2013 7:31:31 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:

But even if the mother were to die in child birth (something you can't determine is going to happen until it's happening) the loss is still only equal to what is gained. You used the equation of "kill 1 person > let many persons suffer" well even in a worse case scenario one life is lost, and one is gained.

But if this is the way you think about it, then why do you think it is still the mothers choice even when the mothers life isn't in danger?

You aren't taking mental and psychological health into account.
Harm is not constituted solely of physical bodily injury or death.

It's for the same reason we don't let people walk around naked, verbally abuse someone, or brainwash children. It's harmful to such an extent that the act of preventing them from doing so is worth it.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:44:52 PM
It's her body, she can abort if she wants to, abort if she wants to, abort if she wants to. You would abort too if it happened to you.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Cog247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:50:56 PM
At 7/17/2013 7:37:13 PM, CanWeKnow wrote:

I hate that argument. Do you really think every woman is going to get an abortion if they got pregnant at an inconvenient time? Like really? Human's DO have morality you know. I have seen plenty of girls at my High School who chose to have their child despite being able to abort.

Where did I say that all girls do this, I know of plenty of examples where the girl decides to keep the baby. I was saying this in response to what the other guy said about it being wrong for a fetus to suck the nutrition out of the mother.
Who are you to tell the girl who got raped what's best for her?
-_- We can't honestly say that keeping that child would be the best decision for all parties involved. The fetus, the woman, or the rapist.
Ok, how in the world is it not in the best interest of the fetus to keep it alive? Plus, I don't think the rapists best interest should even be considered, come on what he did was illegal. But as for the mother, she presents the most controversial of the parties. While it isn't her fault that she is pregnant, it would be her fault of she decides to kill the baby. Because the baby is alive, it is a real human being.
Cog247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:56:22 PM
You aren't taking mental and psychological health into account.
Harm is not constituted solely of physical bodily injury or death.

It's for the same reason we don't let people walk around naked, verbally abuse someone, or brainwash children. It's harmful to such an extent that the act of preventing them from doing so is worth it.

Are you comparing all those things you said to not allowing a girl to decide whether she wants to have an anortion?
Cog247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:58:19 PM
At 7/17/2013 7:44:52 PM, Maikuru wrote:
It's her body, she can abort if she wants to, abort if she wants to, abort if she wants to. You would abort too if it happened to you.

What's her body? The baby in her womb who she is getting the decision to either let live or kill? How in te world does that baby qualify as her body?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 8:12:14 PM
At 7/17/2013 7:29:28 PM, Cog247 wrote:

The reason that some people don't deserve to live is because of their actions e.g. A murderer deserves the death penalty because of his/her actions in taking another persons life. The fetus on the other hand hasn't done anything to deserve to die.

And the reasons why we kill soldiers is...? What did the soldier do that warrants his LEGAL death?

Omg, are you serious? It's because of the woman's decision to have sex in the first place that got her in this situation.

Unless, she was drunk, raped, molested, or other scenarios.
Of course there are times e.g. Rape where it isn't the woman's decision to get pregnant, but still, what gives her the rift to decide the fetus should be killed?
What gives the fetus the right to live at the mother's expense?

The fetus isn't the one to blame, it just got put into the picture because of the rapists actions, it's not the fetuses fault, so why are we leaving the decision of whether it should live or die up to the woman?
Because she has to live with the consequences of it.

Let me ask you this:
regardless if the woman is raped, if a pregnency were to result in her losing her job (actress, CEO, stripper) and subsequently her house, how is the fetus not harming the woman in any way?

Furthermore, if the fetus is entitled to life, and it is harmful for the fetus when the mother smokes, drinks, stresses, uses drugs, or is malnurioushed, is that then child abuse, and should the mother then be arrested?
If not, why not?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 8:15:30 PM
At 7/17/2013 6:27:11 PM, Cog247 wrote:
Hey, I'm new to this forum, but I was just wanting to jump right in and start off with a discussion of abortion. What are your views on the topic? Is it right or wrong to have an abortion? Why? Is it a matter of choice?

Lets get the ball rolling. :D

Cog asks: What do you think about abortion?

YYW responds: I don't.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 8:16:58 PM
Oh, and you get bonus points for at least being consistent!!!

I hate people who say "abortions are murder and wrong, except in the following cases where the otherwise innocent being is an acceptable loss".
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 8:26:55 PM
At 7/17/2013 8:16:58 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I hate people who say "abortions are murder and wrong, except in the following cases where the otherwise innocent being is an acceptable loss".

I consistently don't care about this issue, and consistently find it amusing when people do. Do I get points for that?
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 8:37:18 PM
At 7/17/2013 8:26:55 PM, YYW wrote:

I consistently don't care about this issue, and consistently find it amusing when people do. Do I get points for that?

Yes, but ironically, you didn't care about those either, so I gave them to Maikuru for his lame joke.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 8:51:41 PM

The only possible rationale for this (as abortion presents a crucial juncture between ethics, religion, and policy, all of which naturally produce impassioned and of course relevant debate) is that the issue is too plebeian, and you're too special for that stuff right?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 9:17:31 PM
At 7/17/2013 8:51:41 PM, 000ike wrote:

The only possible rationale for this (as abortion presents a crucial juncture between ethics, religion, and policy, all of which naturally produce impassioned and of course relevant debate) is that the issue is too plebeian, and you're too special for that stuff right?

Yes. That's obviously it. Without a doubt. Those keen powers of deduction sharp as always I see, Ike.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 9:22:36 PM
At 7/17/2013 9:17:31 PM, YYW wrote:

Yes. That's obviously it. Without a doubt. Those keen powers of deduction sharp as always I see, Ike.

Alright, I'll bite. I understand that you may not care about abortion, but why do you laugh at the people who do? Or rather, why do you find it amusing that people do care?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 9:33:55 PM
At 7/17/2013 9:22:36 PM, 000ike wrote:

Alright, I'll bite. I understand that you may not care about abortion, but why do you laugh at the people who do? Or rather, why do you find it amusing that people do care?

I said I find it amusing WHEN people do care, not that I laugh AT people who care about abortion -although I do laugh at pro-life or pro-choice protesters (though they are only a small percentage of the people who care about abortion).

But, to answer your question, when non-issues are made into big issues, that is something that tends to make me smile. Abortion is a non-issue, but it polarizes people in a way that nothing else (other than gay marriage) is able. The polarizing effect is what is amusing, in a general sense.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 9:39:43 PM
At 7/17/2013 9:33:55 PM, YYW wrote:

I said I find it amusing WHEN people do care, not that I laugh AT people who care about abortion -although I do laugh at pro-life or pro-choice protesters (though they are only a small percentage of the people who care about abortion).

But, to answer your question, when non-issues are made into big issues, that is something that tends to make me smile. Abortion is a non-issue, but it polarizes people in a way that nothing else (other than gay marriage) is able. The polarizing effect is what is amusing, in a general sense.

lol what kind of conception of the term "issue" do you have if a divisive and argumentative topic is a non-issue? I'm not sure I buy that. I still think you're laughing and distancing yourself only because it isn't an esoteric or scholarly topic and it amuses you to see laypeople passionately argue about something you consider stale.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 9:41:49 PM
At 7/17/2013 8:37:18 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Yes, but ironically, you didn't care about those either, so I gave them to Maikuru for his lame joke.

When it comes to online comedy, just being acknowledged is half the battle =D
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 9:52:37 PM
At 7/17/2013 9:39:43 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/17/2013 9:33:55 PM, YYW wrote:

lol what kind of conception of the term "issue" do you have if a divisive and argumentative topic is a non-issue? I'm not sure I buy that. I still think you're laughing and distancing yourself only because it isn't an esoteric or scholarly topic and it amuses you to see laypeople passionately argue about something you consider stale.

Far be it from me to try to intuit YYWs opinions, but ike, you should probably bear in mind that abortion's legality has about zero impact on him (barring, I suppose, hypothetical family and hypothetical futures).

(Also, have you wondered if maybe the reason you get a condescending vibe from him is because you project a pissedoff and insulting vibe to him? He's not condescending to me, and it's not like I'm the brightest crayon in the box. )
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!