Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Liberty Makes Life Better

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:29:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
One example: Whoa, suddenly, out of nowhere, Skype for Mac now has video mail, with HD quality. Amazing. It just popped up. No headline, no announcement, no celebration. The dream of a century achieved and no one cares. This is the market economy, my friends, improving your life one day at a time, in ways we've come to expect and even demand. We experience the improvement and move on, thinking nothing of the incredible time and energy and talent involvement in making life better for you and me. People all over the world are serving us, coordinating their actions with resources through the price system and by marvelous entrepreneurship. Moreover, we think nothing of the source of this stunning service or why it happens. Then people turn to the state and say: make my life better. It is the most stunning intellectual error of history, one that completely misidentifies cause and effect. So much for the age of science. This is age of denying what should be obvious: liberty makes life better while the state kills life.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 11:42:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"If we are uncritical we shall always find what we want: we shall look for, and find, confirmations, and we shall look away from, and not see, whatever might be dangerous to our pet theories." -Karl Popper
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Jo2599
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 12:32:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Free markets are not equal to a market economy.

Strong elements of socialism (in terms of health care, education, etc) can exist within a market economy.

I support a mixed economy, like that found in Scandinavia. Markets with Government regulations and some socialized services are proven to work for people.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 12:34:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/18/2013 12:32:36 AM, Jo2599 wrote:
Free markets are not equal to a market economy.

Strong elements of socialism (in terms of health care, education, etc) can exist within a market economy.

I support a mixed economy, like that found in Scandinavia. Markets with Government regulations and some socialized services are proven to work for people.

Thank you for stating your opinion. That's what this site is for!
#sarcasm
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Jo2599
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 12:36:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/18/2013 12:34:39 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 7/18/2013 12:32:36 AM, Jo2599 wrote:
Free markets are not equal to a market economy.

Strong elements of socialism (in terms of health care, education, etc) can exist within a market economy.

I support a mixed economy, like that found in Scandinavia. Markets with Government regulations and some socialized services are proven to work for people.

Thank you for stating your opinion. That's what this site is for!
#sarcasm

Excuse me? I am stating my partial agreement/disagreement with the OP.
DeFool
Posts: 626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 1:35:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/17/2013 11:29:56 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
One example: Whoa, suddenly, out of nowhere, Skype for Mac now has video mail, with HD quality. Amazing. It just popped up. No headline, no announcement, no celebration. The dream of a century achieved and no one cares. This is the market economy, my friends, improving your life one day at a time, in ways we've come to expect and even demand. We experience the improvement and move on, thinking nothing of the incredible time and energy and talent involvement in making life better for you and me. People all over the world are serving us, coordinating their actions with resources through the price system and by marvelous entrepreneurship. Moreover, we think nothing of the source of this stunning service or why it happens. Then people turn to the state and say: make my life better. It is the most stunning intellectual error of history, one that completely misidentifies cause and effect. So much for the age of science. This is age of denying what should be obvious: liberty makes life better while the state kills life.

This is your argument, as I understand it. Please correct me only if I am wrong:

p1: The market economy improves our lives a great deal
p2: People rely upon these improvements, but devalue the effort involved in providing them
p3: Therefore, people have no right to self govern, or to work together to "make life better." They should simply be happy customers
DeFool
Posts: 626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 1:55:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
An observation:

So many "Free Market" enthusiasts are unaware of how closely they follow the thoughts of Karl Marx, who seems to have shared most of their views on Capitalism. (If not the outcome, which he viewed as a Utopian commune.)

Karl Marx argued that capitalism, read: Free Markets, would streamline production, and concentrate wealth and power to such a degree that eventually most social systems would be controlled by an extreme minority of experts. These experts would represent a radically new concept of "government;" they would be unelected, and subject only to the effectiveness of their ideas. If their policies were productive, then they would be continued. If not, they would be replaced.

This non-state "government" would not be limited by borders, language, religions,or subject to military defense.

Marx believed that such a system - he would not have agreed with my use of the word, and rarely ever mentions the term "capitalism," would eventually poison itself, and cause a complete revolution into his predicted Communism. (Eventually. It's a bit more complicated than I am making it sound.)

But, the fact is that now the world that he predicted is actually beginning to form in a way that is jarringly close to his descriptions. There is no doubt in my mind that the democracies are no match for the Free Markets, or that true control of governance is increasingly restricted to fewer and fewer unelected plutocrats.

Interesting article on the subject of his predictions:
http://www.lrb.co.uk...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 6:44:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Was it not government funding that provided physicists with the means to conduct the research from which they derived the theories on which modern digital technology is based?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 9:00:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Socialism makes life better.

One example? Mr. Kanikozhi was dying of hunger in a remote island of Andaman. The state gave him a welfare of 10$. He bought food from the market, and lived.

Checkmate, man.
Eitan_Zohar
Posts: 2,697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 11:21:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/18/2013 9:00:09 AM, Cermank wrote:
Socialism makes life better.

One example? Mr. Kanikozhi was dying of hunger in a remote island of Andaman. The state gave him a welfare of 10$. He bought food from the market, and lived.

Checkmate, man.

He didn't work for his paycheck/private defense contract, and therefore he didn't deserve to live. What's so complicated?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."