Trayvon Martin, a narrative of race and class

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 2:14:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
warfare.

I know, too many threads already on the topic- but this is one amazing insight into why this issue matters in America. It puts a lot of things into perspective.

...The re-emergence of overt forms of bigotry, then, reveals the political role that race has played in American society. It is a ruthless strategy that has been tried and tested throughout the history of our nation. To put it differently, race is a two-pronged ploy that simultaneously disfranchises blacks and dupes whites into expediting their own exploitation. Without question, the real targets in this assault against blacks are regular, everyday white working people who face rising costs of gas, education, health care, and other problems in today"s economy"regular, everyday white people who have been carefully constructed since the time of their birth to accept unquestionably the racialized hierarchy of American culture. Since race is the linchpin of American class politics, policies that affect blacks disproportionately affect whites as well. The gains that blacks and women made in the economy have also benefitted the broader base of American workers. This explains why conservatives have invested so much time, energy, and money to misrepresent the issue of abortion and repress and/or caricature issues, such as the privatization of prisons, which affects blacks disproportionately.

Neo-confederates are relying on the effectiveness of a complex web of misinformation comprised of myths, half-truths, and outright lies. Race is the central feature of this ideology, the main ingredient of a political formula which will exploit American workers to the fullest extent conceivable. There"s always been an unstated social contract between white workers and American business owners, a tacit agreement that we have usually referred to as the American Dream. Work hard enough and diligently enough, and you, too, can achieve social mobility or, at the very least, a relatively comfortable lifestyle. However, many of today"s entrepreneurs have decided to essentially dismantle the social contract and rewrite it in terms of a racial contract. Under the terms of the new racial contract, employers rely on race to function as the ultimate diversionary device on the largely misinformed populace. Under the terms of the new racial contract, blacks are mere pawns in a deadly game of American politics. As in the past, the new contract empowers non-black citizens with the privilege to act out their deepest animosities against blacks, including acts of wanton violence, and emerge completely untainted by legal prosecution. And, as in the past, the racial contract effectively conceals the true contradictions between white workers and their employers.

Thus, the murder of Trayvon Martin reveals the challenge that blacks and all progressive people face during the 21st century. Ideology and violence are complementary components of an economic strategy, and the criminal justice system is no exception. This institution must be the focal point for efforts to achieve positive change in the US. Although the wider public has yet to question the financial and political motives behind the rapid expansion of the prison industrial complex, money is always the primary objective of the confluence of ideology and violence"and the prison system is no exception. Just as carpenters produce houses, composers produce compositions, and engineers produce computer software, so criminals produce crimes"and in the production of crimes, the criminal also produces the labor space for the locksmith and the key maker, not to mention a host of professions, including judges, police, attorneys, accountants, nurses, doctors, psychologists, cooks, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, welders, truck drivers and auto mechanics. In short, an entire industry has been founded on the construction of the criminal. Towns have been revitalized by the criminalization of drugs and the racialization of criminality. When we consider the fact that the drug laws are all based upon some aspect of race, the arbitrary nature of the laws becomes much clearer...

http://mootmagazine.com...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 2:25:38 PM
At 7/18/2013 2:14:05 PM, Cermank wrote:
Under the terms of the new racial contract, blacks are mere pawns in a deadly game of American politics. As in the past, the new contract empowers non-black citizens with the privilege to act out their deepest animosities against blacks, including acts of wanton violence, and emerge completely untainted by legal prosecution.

http://mootmagazine.com...

This was interesting except for the above, which is utterly ridiculous and unsubstantiated. If Zimmerman became as wealthy as OJ Simpson, I'm almost sure he will face a civil suit, and may have a decent to good chance of losing it.

Otherwise, it makes a decent point about race being a scapegoat for troubles arising from a Marxist "class struggle" between neo-confederate capitalists (again, a bit of a stretch here, corporations have both parties bought) and labor.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 3:02:49 PM
I attempted to read this. It is incoherent.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 9:16:51 PM
At 7/18/2013 3:22:51 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
What's it so angry about anyway?

That we don't live in an egalitarian paradise, that "liberals" (i.e. communists) everywhere need to unite against neo-conservative capitalists hell bent on destroying our precious and hard won revolutionary fervor.

i.e., it's inciteful, partisan, hate-driven propaganda based upon utopian fantasies. And blacks amount to cannon-fodder and are worth about as much (and you wonder who is the racist, the neo-cons or the self-proclaimed angelic "liberal" class that is blinded by its own stupidity). It's something akin to what charleslb writes in one of his rants.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 10:13:23 PM
I tried to read it, but it came off way too angry and presumptuous for me to lend it credibility.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2013 10:55:06 PM
The Trayvon Martin case is to the Snowden scandal, what missile strikes in Sudan and Afghanistan were to the Monica Lewinski scandal.

It was sensationalized by the government because they needed a distraction, and it was very well done.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater