TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 1:43:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.detroitnews.com...

so ... what now?
City's been going down the tubes for quite some time, and personally I'd be pretty upset with the factories from GM that moved beyond city limits when they got bailed out..
Thank you for voting!
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 9:59:05 AM
my guess is that theyre going to rename the city "New New Jersey"
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 10:08:53 AM
Ran by Democrats since 1962. Fiscally irresponsible
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 10:11:55 AM
At 7/19/2013 10:08:53 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:

Correlation conflated with causation, lulz. Detroit fell, it was run by Democrats at the time, ergo the Democratic Party is inherently fiscally irresponsible.

like wut.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 10:38:24 AM
I'm sure Omni Consumer Products will step in and bail out the city through their generous civic spirit.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 10:58:03 AM
I'd like to see if anyone can counter the following argument:

Had the minimum wage not been abolished, Detroit would not have gone bankrupt.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 11:26:25 AM
At 7/19/2013 10:58:03 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

What? Who said that?

It would be impossible to argue a city that went from 2 million people to 700k people happened because min wage was abolished.
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 11:56:09 AM
Detroit has always been in my top 5 least favourite cities. The others are Beijing, Atlanta, Trenton, and the suburbs of Detroit.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 12:42:38 PM
At 7/19/2013 11:26:25 AM, slo1 wrote:

Had the minimum wage [ ] been abolished, Detroit would not have gone bankrupt.

What? Who said that?

It would be impossible to argue a city that went from 2 million people to 700k people happened because min wage was [NOT] abolished.

lol, made corrections to both of our statements, my bad.

Regardless, it is just an argumentative point. It's pretty common knowledge why GM went bankrupt...over-paying workers in comparison to the competition.

I will readily admit such a point is not directly pertinent to the minimum wage law, but that law does set a standard for wages...an impossibly high standard, IMHO.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 2:13:52 PM
At 7/19/2013 11:56:09 AM, Nidhogg wrote:
Detroit has always been in my top 5 least favourite cities. The others are Beijing, Atlanta, Trenton, and the suburbs of Detroit.

Beijing, really? If you don't die of air pollution poisoning, it's a really cool place I want to visit.

My 5 least favorite cities are: Detroit (:D), Trenton (well, New Jersey in general), New York City (minus Wall Street), Naples (Italy), and New Orleans. Note that I've been to all these cities - I choose not to judge cities I haven't been to.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 2:27:52 PM
Well, economic decline, social anomie, existential dissatisfaction, infrastructural and ecological unsustainability, is the direction that capitalism is inexorably trending in, Detroit and certain other bust towns are merely advanced microcosms of the bleakness that free-market fundamentalism has in store for all of us in the not too distant.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 2:30:04 PM
At 7/19/2013 2:27:52 PM, charleslb wrote:
Well, economic decline, social anomie, existential dissatisfaction, infrastructural and ecological unsustainability, is the direction that capitalism is inexorably trending in, Detroit and certain other bust towns are merely advanced microcosms of the bleakness that free-market fundamentalism has in store for all of us in the not too distant.

Typo correction, the above should read: Well, economic decline, social anomie, existential dissatisfaction, infrastructural and ecological unsustainability, is the direction that capitalism is inexorably trending in, Detroit and certain other bust towns are merely advanced microcosms of the bleakness that free-market fundamentalism has in store for all of us in the not too distant future.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 2:30:40 PM
charleslb you should write like the lord of the rings take two or some sh*t. be like J.K Rowling, dude.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 2:39:29 PM
At 7/19/2013 2:30:40 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
charleslb you should write like the lord of the rings take two or some sh*t. be like J.K Rowling, dude.

Thank you.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 2:41:24 PM
At 7/19/2013 2:39:29 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/19/2013 2:30:40 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Thank you.

For the good of mankind, my man!
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 2:43:49 PM
At 7/19/2013 10:08:53 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:

...You realize that state has been managed by republicans right?
Thank you for voting!
Bruinshockeyfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 3:48:14 PM
I live outside detroit so i knew this was coming. I hope they do something because detroit has sucked up tons of tax money from neighboring cities. The whole reason for this is because the state being run by republicans and the white flight that took place years ago. Its sad thou how michigan gets bad rap just because of flint and detroit.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 5:05:58 PM

Considering the big driver of capital outflow was middle-class flight from urban centers, lowering the wages of the already poor probably would have just accelerated the flight.