Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Pros and Cons of Video Surveyed Classrooms.

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 12:07:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am trying to gain opinions about video surveyed classrooms. The classrooms would be monitored via webcams and constantly stream to a free website where parents and students can watch.
There would also be a public discussion board for each daily video, and a video archive that saves the data and discussions for as long as needed.

Cons-
Extra funding needed from a poorly funded system.

Law suits may increase due to misconceptions and false allegations.

Teachers may quit due to public ridicule and criticism.

Pros-
Teachers, parents, and students can all coordinate without restriction.

Students can view the class at home if needed.

Parents can learn exactly what the kids are being taught.

Teachers would have more insight on what and why parents disagree with their curriculum or methods.

Parents would have a more open relationship with their childrens teachers.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 12:33:34 PM
At 7/19/2013 12:07:35 PM, pozessed wrote:
I am trying to gain opinions about video surveyed classrooms. The classrooms would be monitored via webcams and constantly stream to a free website where parents and students can watch.
There would also be a public discussion board for each daily video, and a video archive that saves the data and discussions for as long as needed.

Cons-

Pros-

Teachers would have more insight on what and why parents disagree with their curriculum or methods.

As a father of a son with autism, I say the pros far out way the cons. My son cant speak and probably wont for a while. I would love to have access to that feed. When he comes home from preschool, I have no way of knowing what really went on in that classroom. And my son will not come and tell daddy whe something has happening to him. And I may not know it because after its over, its playtime again. Not to say I dont trust teachers. But not all people are trust worthy. And I think teachers can understand that.

Also I want to make sure my kid is learning. It may not be as crucial with other kids but mines will not grow if he does not learn. He will remain a 3 year old as long as we let him. So if the teachers aren;t teaching him properly it wont help. As far as funding goes, it is a small price for security. I do see you point about law suits how ever. They will sky rocket.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 3:44:06 PM
At 7/19/2013 12:33:34 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 7/19/2013 12:07:35 PM, pozessed wrote:

Cons-

Pros-

As a father of a son with autism, I say the pros far out way the cons. My son cant speak and probably wont for a while. I would love to have access to that feed. When he comes home from preschool, I have no way of knowing what really went on in that classroom. And my son will not come and tell daddy whe something has happening to him. And I may not know it because after its over, its playtime again. Not to say I dont trust teachers. But not all people are trust worthy. And I think teachers can understand that.

Also I want to make sure my kid is learning. It may not be as crucial with other kids but mines will not grow if he does not learn. He will remain a 3 year old as long as we let him. So if the teachers aren;t teaching him properly it wont help. As far as funding goes, it is a small price for security. I do see you point about law suits how ever. They will sky rocket.

I don't think this should be about "trusting" teachers. It should be about the significant impact it could have on our educational systems possibilities.
I do understand wanting to coordinate better with the teacher to best help your child though. That makes complete sense to me.
I agree with your sentiments of funding as well.
I'm on the fence about the lawsuits. I think they would skyrocket at first, but decrease faster. My presumption is that the video evidence an outraged parent may try using is open for public ridicule, and the public would most likely be the determining factor of who was in the right and who wasn't. To me this seems fair seeing as it is supposed to be their school system.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 5:57:06 PM
How I act around my peers is different than how I would act around my parents, and I wouldn't necessarily want them seeing it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 6:29:39 PM
At 7/19/2013 5:57:06 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
How I act around my peers is different than how I would act around my parents, and I wouldn't necessarily want them seeing it.

Is that a pro or a con? Also the camera doesn't necessarily have to monitor the pupils, only where a teacher most frequents inside the class.
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 11:39:01 PM
Sure, so long as you don't force people to attend that classroom, or force people to pay for it. Then you can have whatever wacky experiments in learning you want.