Jump to topic:

"We're Going to Go Out and Violate Rights"

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 10:58:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Who gives people "rights" in the first place? You're an awful lot better at making vague emotionally charged political statements then you are at thinking up cases for them.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 10:59:18 PM
At 7/19/2013 10:58:26 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Who gives people "rights" in the first place? You're an awful lot better at making vague emotionally charged political statements then you are at thinking up cases for them.

Rights are inherent.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 11:00:11 PM
Well, if I'm going to be clearest, rights are agreed upon by human consensus, but THEN become inherent.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 11:11:09 PM
At 7/19/2013 11:00:11 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Well, if I'm going to be clearest, rights are agreed upon by human consensus, but THEN become inherent.

The two types you refer to are mutually exclusive, if I'm not mistaken. I'm simply asking royal a question- why should I respect those rights?

Remember, we're talking about the person who somehow manages to be a communist (which by definition would involve the abolishment of private property), and yet defends a property right framework in which everyone should have absolute control over their belongings and have the right to use lethal force against those who steal. Which, to my knowledge, isn't a position advocated for by any philosopher.

So obviously I'm really interested to hear this explanation.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 11:15:23 PM

Not really, at least IMO. Rights are vague and flexible assertions that can be ignored or reinterpreted to mean whatever the powers that be or the preponderance of public opinion declares them to mean - whenever it suits their respective causes.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2013 11:44:32 PM
At 7/19/2013 11:11:09 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

The two types you refer to are mutually exclusive, if I'm not mistaken. I'm simply asking royal a question- why should I respect those rights?

Remember, we're talking about the person who somehow manages to be a communist (which by definition would involve the abolishment of private property), and yet defends a property right framework in which everyone should have absolute control over their belongings and have the right to use lethal force against those who steal. Which, to my knowledge, isn't a position advocated for by any philosopher.

Even a rudimentary understanding of Ancom would let you know that private property (means of production) =\= personal property.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2013 2:58:04 AM
Rights are inherent and can be understood simply through an exercise one of own's own reason (natural rights). Stop and Frisk is a blatant violation of the 4th Amendment. There's no probable cause here. And what do they find? Drugs and weapons. Two things which should be legal to own anyway.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 10:41:53 AM
At 7/19/2013 11:44:32 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/19/2013 11:11:09 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Even a rudimentary understanding of Ancom would let you know that private property (means of production) =\= personal property.

Right, sorry, I used the wrong term. But that's not what she subscribes to, as I detailed above.