Jump to topic:

Man Forces TSA to Learn 4th Amendment

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 11:02:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
A man who stripped nearly naked to make a point about his constitutional rights scored a victory today after forcing airport personnel to study up on the First and Fourth Amendments, reports The Wall Street Journal.

http://politix.topix.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 11:02:46 PM
MOAR

Aaron Tobey, known as the "4th Amendment Flasher," was arrested in 2010 by the Transportation Security Administration and Richmond International Airport security after stripping down to his underwear - much beyond the point mandated by protocol - with a portion of the Fourth Amendment written on his chest in black marker: "The right of the people to be secure...against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated."

Though charges were ultimately dropped, Tobey sued the TSA and the airport, and following a year and a half of legal proceedings the respective organizations involved have now settled. The details of the settlement read like an civili libertarian fantasy realized, and involve Richmond's airport security personnel being forced to brush up on American Government 101:

"Richmond International Airport officials announced this week that their security officers underwent a special two-hour training course on the First and Fourth Amendment rights of passengers as a part of a settlement with Mr. Tobey," writes WSJ's Jacob Gershman.

The TSA, as part of a separate settlement that likewise involved no monetary payout as originally sought by Tobey, appears somewhat less humbling. The TSA has "agreed not to appeal the ruling or further prosecute Mr. Tobey for interfering with TSA procedures," Gershman informs.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 11:05:28 PM
I don't even see a reason for Homeland Security to even exist anymore. Honestly, the DOJ could easily take on HS's duties.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 11:06:08 PM
At 7/21/2013 11:05:28 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I don't even see a reason for Homeland Security to even exist anymore. Honestly, the DOJ could easily take on HS's duties.

Obviously I mean the department of government, lol. Not the concept itself.

I want my homeland to be secure.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 1:27:44 AM
At 7/21/2013 11:06:08 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Department of Homeland has existed for over a decade now. Don't you know that means its impossible for a time to have existed before it and it would be crazy to try to get rid of it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 1:57:28 PM
At 7/22/2013 1:27:44 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Department of Homeland has existed for over a decade now. Don't you know that means its impossible for a time to have existed before it and it would be crazy to try to get rid of it.

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 1:58:11 PM

Why would you entrust a government to do this, lol?
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 2:23:48 PM
At 7/22/2013 1:58:11 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Because they usually manage to do a pretty good job.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 2:31:16 PM
At 7/22/2013 1:58:11 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I do because I see national defense as a legitimate purpose of government.

So essentially, let me just acknowledge right here that all this essentially will turn into is an anarchism v. statism (in the sense of the existence of the state) issue.

And believe me, WSA, I've seen you cheerlead for anarchism and the Austrians enough to know you won't be telling me anything particularly new if we continue.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 2:40:06 PM
At 7/21/2013 11:02:46 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
MOAR

Aaron Tobey, known as the "4th Amendment Flasher," was arrested in 2010 by the Transportation Security Administration and Richmond International Airport security after stripping down to his underwear - much beyond the point mandated by protocol - with a portion of the Fourth Amendment written on his chest in black marker: "The right of the people to be secure...against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated."

Though charges were ultimately dropped, Tobey sued the TSA and the airport, and following a year and a half of legal proceedings the respective organizations involved have now settled. The details of the settlement read like an civili libertarian fantasy realized, and involve Richmond's airport security personnel being forced to brush up on American Government 101:

"Richmond International Airport officials announced this week that their security officers underwent a special two-hour training course on the First and Fourth Amendment rights of passengers as a part of a settlement with Mr. Tobey," writes WSJ's Jacob Gershman.

The TSA, as part of a separate settlement that likewise involved no monetary payout as originally sought by Tobey, appears somewhat less humbling. The TSA has "agreed not to appeal the ruling or further prosecute Mr. Tobey for interfering with TSA procedures," Gershman informs.

So they sit through a 2 hour course and things go back to how they were.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:26:23 PM
At 7/21/2013 11:02:22 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
A man who stripped nearly naked to make a point about his constitutional rights scored a victory today after forcing airport personnel to study up on the First and Fourth Amendments, reports The Wall Street Journal.

I am pleased to see WSA becoming more liberal. Long live the 4th Amendment.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:59:36 PM

Yeah I agree with this...
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 10:13:37 PM
At 7/22/2013 9:59:36 PM, Contra wrote:

Yeah I agree with this...

DHS serves a role that would still be conducted - even if the agency was abolished. In this regard, the agency would simply have its name changed.

Moreover, it was ingratiated into the system irrevocably; when the DHS was created, it replaced many other offices that were conducting this or that function, and were absorbed into the larger DHS framework. This was intended to facilitate information sharing, cooperation, and reduce redundancy.

I think that the DHS has been a success in these areas.

However, it is still imperfect, and a catch-all scapegoat for every kind of complaint.

What is being condemned? Is it the role that the agency fills? The fact that it is not filling that role properly? Or is it the name, and its critics will be satisfied if it is 'abolished'?
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 10:55:19 PM
How would national defense be as effective in an anarchist society? This is one of my biggest concern about anarchy.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Quan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 1:12:25 PM
At 7/22/2013 10:55:19 PM, Contra wrote:
How would national defense be as effective in an anarchist society? This is one of my biggest concern about anarchy.
With pure anarchy there would be no nation to defend. Another way to think about it would be each individual is a separate nation and responsible for his/her own defense.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 3:04:47 PM
At 7/25/2013 1:12:25 PM, Quan wrote:
With pure anarchy there would be no nation to defend. Another way to think about it would be each individual is a separate nation and responsible for his/her own defense.

The Chinese army would decimate every little Anarchist attempt at personal self-defense. They would be crying wishing that a national military existed.

If the United States Federal government was disbanded China and Russia would snatch that land so fast the Anarchists wouldn't live a single day in their tax-free utopia. "Isn't it so great, no taxes... oh wait there's a missile heading straight for us."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 4:07:12 PM
At 7/25/2013 3:04:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

The Chinese army would decimate every little Anarchist attempt at personal self-defense. They would be crying wishing that a national military existed.

If the United States Federal government was disbanded China and Russia would snatch that land so fast the Anarchists wouldn't live a single day in their tax-free utopia. "Isn't it so great, no taxes... oh wait there's a missile heading straight for us."

You do realize that anarchists don't advocate for singular nations to become anarchic societies, but for the world to be anarchic. An anarchist's goal is not to disband the USA or the UK or China or Russia, it's to disband every single state.

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 4:51:41 PM
At 7/25/2013 4:07:12 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/25/2013 3:04:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

You do realize that anarchists don't advocate for singular nations to become anarchic societies, but for the world to be anarchic. An anarchist's goal is not to disband the USA or the UK or China or Russia, it's to disband every single state.

Way to generalize dude.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 4:33:53 PM
At 7/21/2013 11:02:22 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Thanks Dude! I can now walk through airport security in my underwear with a message written on my chest and not get harassed by the TSA!

I'm not so certain there is a big win here. The police on the street getting overly aggressive with searches seems to be a much larger problem than the TSA.