Jump to topic:

An ideal society.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 5:06:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
If your ideal society could not come into existence, would you support a political system that is as good as possible?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 5:09:25 AM
Well, I'm never going to give up hope like that, but I am all for small steps. People have too much OCD for anything radical these days anyway.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 5:28:42 AM
At 7/22/2013 5:06:38 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
If your ideal society could not come into existence, would you support a political system that is as good as possible?

Oakeshott's ship. The most important thing is knowing how to get to the best society, and there are many of them. Different cultures will have different ideas, which will change over time, which we'd need to account for. The 'best society' therefore is a dynamic concept, rather than a static utopia, and therefore cannot exist analytically (as analytic concepts are not subject to change). Or, the ideal society is not one that we can pin down, as there are many of them and they are constantly changing.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 2:06:21 PM

... yer going to have to define our terms.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 2:21:29 PM
At 7/22/2013 2:06:21 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

http://25.media.tumblr.com...
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 2:47:13 PM

Part of pretty much everyone's ideal society is that it is possible (at least in their minds under their "logic"), so I don't know really any one that would believe that their ideal society is physically impossible, only that it would be either extremely difficult or that they wouldn't know how it would be implemented or reached.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:49:20 PM

Eden.
Tsar of DDO
the_croftmeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:49:57 PM
I think the phrase 'come into existence' implies that while the society could be logically possible and would persist if one was simply injected into it, there might be cases in which there is no path from our current society to this ideal society.

In which case I would be happy to go for the next best reachable political system. In my opinion this is not democracy (at least not the way it currently works) but its definitely a step in the right direction. Does this answer your question OP?
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 3:19:35 PM
At 7/22/2013 2:21:29 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 7/22/2013 2:06:21 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

http://25.media.tumblr.com...

I'm afraid I don't follow you?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."