Jump to topic:

Terrorism or Global Warming?

Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 7:47:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Which threat, Terrorism or Climate Change poses a more severe risk to society?

That is the topic of the paper I must write by December 18th for my Intro. to World Geography class.

Assuming that Global Warming is true, I'm stuck between the two...I can see it both ways...

a) Terrorism. Terrorism is real and its happening RIGHT NOW! People die everyday beacause of terrorists and terrorism and its effects can threaten the stability of governments and economies. Which would lead to social uphevel, which would lead to anarchy, which would lead to one of two things:

1) Complete societal collaspe and were back in the stone ages
2) Some dictator takes over

b) Global Warming. If the climate was to change drastically, let's say in the next 200 years, its affects would be tremendous. Food and water would be in short supply, and as a result social upheval would occur. Also, even industrialized nations might be compromised: they'd have to deal with it just as much as the developing world. One of two things can happen:

1) We all become Earth-loving hippes (quite unlikley)
2) The climate changes so drastically that a human population of 6 to 10 billion people is no longer sustainable. Rapid population decrease. Governments and economies can no longer supply citizens with their needs (food and water).
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 7:49:09 PM
I'd go with terrorism. What's really that difficult in choosing? One is happening right now and poses a threat to American liberties and wellbeing, while the other is mostly caused naturally and is highly controversial in accurate studies.
Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 7:50:47 PM
At 12/9/2009 7:49:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I'd go with terrorism. What's really that difficult in choosing? One is happening right now and poses a threat to American liberties and wellbeing, while the other is mostly caused naturally and is highly controversial in accurate studies.

Yes, but is is quite unlikley that an act of terrorism could bring down the U.S., Iraq and Israel, maybe...the U.S. just doesn't seem so...we're more, stable, than that.
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 7:55:08 PM
At 12/9/2009 7:49:09 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Ahahah you're funny.

Nevermind that roughly 97% of climatologists believe global warming is man-made.

No, YOU'RE TOTALLY RIGHT. Beware of those crazy arabs.
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 8:47:04 PM
Yea, I agree, terrorists first. . . .. global warming IS a problem, however it isn't as huge a deal as many make it out to be. .. definitely not as big as someone who deserves to be in a straight jacket running into a crowd of people and "click" . .. BOOM
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 8:53:29 PM
Nevermind that roughly 97% of climatologists believe global warming is man-made.
That peculiar hybrid breed, ad poputhoritatem, is nothing new in the global warming debate.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 8:54:03 PM
At 12/9/2009 7:55:08 PM, MistahKurtz wrote:
Ahahah you're funny.

No, YOU'RE TOTALLY RIGHT. Beware of those crazy arabs.

Hahahaha, yes. I agree. Oh sh*t! Watch out for those evil Arab Muslim terrorists! They just love attacking innocent America... *rolls eyes*
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 9:00:01 PM
For the purposes of writing an effective essay, I'd take the position that man-made global warming is a conspiracy. It's easier to write when you have more extreme positions.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 9:18:58 PM
At 12/9/2009 8:53:29 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That peculiar hybrid breed, ad poputhoritatem, is nothing new in the global warming debate.

Saying that ad populthoritatem is a fallacy makes a lot of sense when talking about laypeople. However, when you, not a climatologist, use it to discredit climatologists, well... You just don't have a leg to stand on, because your argument relies on beliving that somewhere between 15% - 3% (3% is the more recent number, 15% is a bigger sample size) of climatologists believe global warming is not man made and even a smaller number believe it's not happening. How can you justify that?

At 12/9/2009 8:09:58 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I'm scared sh!tle$$ of those bombers.....
Global warming? Not so much. Won't really do anything in my lifetime..........

These maps documents events worldwide that are likely due to increased global temperatures;
http://www.climatehotmap.org...
http://environment.nationalgeographic.com...

And this study, done by the WHO, shows that the biggest polluters are likely contributing to climate fluctuations in third worl countries that are responsible for scores of dead.

http://www.news.wisc.edu...

But do you really need to look farther than Katrina for evidence that a volatile climate can kill now, and not just in 50 years?
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 12:05:26 PM
At 12/9/2009 7:47:29 PM, Republican95 wrote:
I say terrorism.

That is the topic of the paper I must write by December 18th for my Intro. to World Geography class.

Assuming that Global Warming is true, I'm stuck between the two...I can see it both ways...

a) Terrorism. Terrorism is real and its happening RIGHT NOW! People die everyday beacause of terrorists and terrorism and its effects can threaten the stability of governments and economies. Which would lead to social uphevel, which would lead to anarchy, which would lead to one of two things:

b) Global Warming. If the climate was to change drastically, let's say in the next 200 years, its affects would be tremendous. Food and water would be in short supply, and as a result social upheval would occur. Also, even industrialized nations might be compromised: they'd have to deal with it just as much as the developing world. One of two things can happen:

2) The climate changes so drastically that a human population of 6 to 10 billion people is no longer sustainable. Rapid population decrease. Governments and economies can no longer supply citizens with their needs (food and water).
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 2:40:57 PM
At 12/10/2009 12:05:26 PM, kelly224 wrote:
At 12/9/2009 7:47:29 PM, Republican95 wrote:
I say terrorism.

You're making the assumption that it will take 200 years for the effects of climate change to take place, even when most science tells us that it is already starting and could manifest very dangerously within 50 years.

And when you say "People die everyday beacause of terrorists and terrorism", this can also be said of falling down stairs. Furthermore, Only about a tenth of terrorism-related deaths have happened on Western soil. Most of the other 90% of the 'terrorism'-related deaths (a.k.a. insurgency) has been a result of the Western occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 3:00:36 PM

97%? lolol. Source plz.
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 3:04:46 PM
At 12/10/2009 3:00:36 PM, Nags wrote:

97%? lolol. Source plz.

http://news.mongabay.com...
I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 3:08:36 PM
At 12/10/2009 3:04:46 PM, ournamestoolong wrote:

97%? lolol. Source plz.

http://news.mongabay.com...

"97 percent agreeing humans play a role"

Duh. Humans playing a role is different than man-made global warming. Almost everyone agrees that humans play a role.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 3:16:53 PM
The world is cooling right now. Bombs are a bigger threat.

Unless we're talking about Cap and Trade, in which case, it will practically destroy the American economy.
Clockwork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 5:00:16 PM
Honestly... 9/11 was a tragedy. One of the greatest tragedies in American history and the greatest tragedy in quite some time.

However, less than 5,000 people died.

5,000 people to be mourned in any case, but 5,000 people in the greatest terror attack in world history. Natural disasters, car accidents, smoking, obesity, diabetes, and influenza all kill more than 5,000 people every year. The methodology in which the threat is applied does not substantially increase the threat itself.

We can set up metal detectors and tap phone wires to stop people from flying planes into buildings, but as far as global warming goes, by more than a few scientific estimates, we're already f*cked.
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 5:15:24 PM
At 12/10/2009 5:00:16 PM, Clockwork wrote:
We can set up metal detectors and tap phone wires to stop people from flying planes into buildings, but as far as global warming goes, by more than a few scientific estimates, we're already f*cked.

Then why is the world cooling? And would a warmer Earth really be all that bad?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 5:35:00 PM
I look at global warming pretty simply. But I have my own little theory. You see, hundreds of millions of years ago, there was one supercontinent, named Pangaea. Pangaea then split apart into seven massive chunks of land, what we know as the continents today. This is, of course, a drastic change. No humans. Then we have numerous ice ages. No humans. We have had numerous times in the history of Earth where the temperature has been much greater than now. No humans. So, that's my theory. :)
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 5:47:30 PM
At 12/10/2009 5:35:00 PM, Nags wrote:
I look at global warming pretty simply. But I have my own little theory. You see, hundreds of millions of years ago, there was one supercontinent, named Pangaea. Pangaea then split apart into seven massive chunks of land, what we know as the continents today. This is, of course, a drastic change. No humans. Then we have numerous ice ages. No humans. We have had numerous times in the history of Earth where the temperature has been much greater than now. No humans. So, that's my theory. :)

Yeah, I don't know how to feel about it.

I suppose that because it has happened so many times in the past, it is bound to happen again one day. There is no denying the correlation of CO2 in the atmosphere and temperature (http://en.wikipedia.org...), and it seems that this will happen regardless whether humans rape the earth or not. But do we have to speed the process up?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 6:02:39 PM

97%? lolol. Source plz.

http://tigger.uic.edu...

Yer welcum.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 6:10:55 PM
At 12/10/2009 6:02:39 PM, MistahKurtz wrote:

97%? lolol. Source plz.

http://tigger.uic.edu...

Yer welcum.

That was citing the same poll with the same question as I addressed above. Fail.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 6:16:54 PM
I don't think there is much to decide on here...

If climate change goes unresolved (assuming I believe in man-made change, for right now), then it will cause a lot of problems in poor countries, which tend to be the most unstable, which also tend to produce quite a lot of what we could call 'terrorists,' which may or may not annoy international interests...

But, on the other hand, no matter what we do, terrorists will crop up, and if we do act on climate change, it will be with international co-operation, which can only raise the ire of even more terrorists who don't like international presence all that much.

Both situations are kinda zero-sum.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 6:26:37 PM
At 12/10/2009 6:16:54 PM, Volkov wrote:
If climate change goes unresolved (assuming I believe in man-made change, for right now), then it will cause a lot of problems in poor countries, which tend to be the most unstable, which also tend to produce quite a lot of what we could call 'terrorists,' which may or may not annoy international interests...

Wait, wtf did you just say? Lol. Climate change causes problems in poor countries which leads to terrorism. Biggest non-sequitur I've seen in my life.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 6:37:17 PM
At 12/10/2009 6:26:37 PM, Nags wrote:
Wait, wtf did you just say? Lol. Climate change causes problems in poor countries which leads to terrorism. Biggest non-sequitur I've seen in my life.

Only for those who don't do any research: http://www.upi.com...

Think about it. Climate change will hit some of the most unstable countries in the world, and when you wreak even more instability upon an already unstable populace, it isn't as if people are exactly calm and collected.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 7:16:02 PM
At 12/10/2009 6:37:17 PM, Volkov wrote:
Only for those who don't do any research: http://www.upi.com...

Think about it. Climate change will hit some of the most unstable countries in the world, and when you wreak even more instability upon an already unstable populace, it isn't as if people are exactly calm and collected.

That was the most ridiculous article I've read in a while. They back it up with zero evidence, literally. I'd expect that from the Obama administration though. Evidence first, then I can respond. Complete crap, legit.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 7:58:17 PM
At 12/10/2009 7:16:02 PM, Nags wrote:
That was the most ridiculous article I've read in a while. They back it up with zero evidence, literally. I'd expect that from the Obama administration though. Evidence first, then I can respond. Complete crap, legit.

What exactly do you want evidence of?

That evaporating water supplies, which are brought about by an onset of changes in the climate and non-sustainable usage, can spark socio/geopolitical crises? - http://www.reuters.com...

That researchers have seen patterns between shifting climates and war? - http://news.bbc.co.uk...

That there have already been casualties from shifting climate patterns due to climate change? - http://www.timesonline.co.uk...

This isn't a very hard concept. When you have issues with the climate and your natural environment, it causes instability in many, very serious, ways. Must I bring up New Orleans before it hits home?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 8:34:33 PM
At 12/10/2009 7:58:17 PM, Volkov wrote:
That evaporating water supplies, which are brought about by an onset of changes in the climate and non-sustainable usage, can spark socio/geopolitical crises? - http://www.reuters.com...

Not caused by climate change. It has been the climate of Africa for centuries.

That researchers have seen patterns between shifting climates and war? - http://news.bbc.co.uk...

See above.

That there have already been casualties from shifting climate patterns due to climate change? - http://www.timesonline.co.uk...

See above.

This isn't a very hard concept. When you have issues with the climate and your natural environment, it causes instability in many, very serious, ways. Must I bring up New Orleans before it hits home?

The environment goes hand-in-hand with politics, simple. Climate change hasn't been the cause of Africa's current climate though, simple.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 8:38:25 PM
At 12/10/2009 8:34:33 PM, Nags wrote:
Not caused by climate change. It has been the climate of Africa for centuries.

Israel/Golan Heights are not in Africa.

The environment goes hand-in-hand with politics, simple. Climate change hasn't been the cause of Africa's current climate though, simple.

So, you're putting the stake in the ground as I provide evidence from researchers and individuals who have made their lives in these fields, yet do not provide any evidence of your own to support the conclusions you have made?

I can see where this is heading.