Jump to topic:

Help for Model UN!

Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 3:20:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
In February I will be going to a Model United Nations Security Council at Mississippi State University.

I will, most likley, be representing the nation of Turkey.

What are some international issues facing Turkey? Besides the whole Cyprus thing.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2009 5:46:38 PM
At 12/10/2009 3:20:20 PM, Republican95 wrote:
What are some international issues facing Turkey? Besides the whole Cyprus thing.

Oo! International politics! Yum!

Turkey is an interesting country, because its interests and issues are very odd for a Muslim country. It is a Muslim nation, run by an Islamist (not extremist, though) party which likes to see itself as European instead of Middle Eastern.

Anyways, some issues facing Turkey right now are its bid to join the European Union; the perceived about-face of the government on some defense relations with the West (read this and you'll learn a lot: http://news.bbc.co.uk... ); the PKK, aka Kurdish separatists, in the south-east; domestic issues ranging from the wearing of the burka to student movements (but domestic issues aren't huge; and as you said, Cyprus.

For the model UN, in all honesty, don't bother with the Cyprus issue. Its old, its pretty settled, and its cliche. Focus on Turkey's ambitions internationally in reference to its peculiar position as the East-West crossroads, its bid for EU membership, and the Kurd question (which would make for some great arguments with the US, depending upon your position, because it is intertwined with Iraq!).

Oh, and another issue: Armenia. They recently reached an accord and have opened up relations, but it is still quite an international sore spot, especially because of the huge Armenian diaspora. I'd look up that, as well.

The BBC has quite a lot of good articles pertaining to Turkey. (http://news.bbc.co.uk...) On the right-hand side, you'll find a lot of those articles; I recommend reading them.

This, also from BBC, is also good; it's analysis on Turkey's EU bid: http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Done!
Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2009 4:07:43 PM
I think I've figure out what I'm going to do.

Make the UN recongnize the fact that the PKK is a terrorist-organization and mandate that the aid Turkey is eliminationg them.

Another thing, since I'm the only Middle Eastern country on the Security Council, I'll probably do something about the US plans for a troop surge in Afghanistan.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2009 4:10:15 PM
At 12/11/2009 4:07:43 PM, Republican95 wrote:
I think I've figure out what I'm going to do.

Make the UN recongnize the fact that the PKK is a terrorist-organization and mandate that the aid Turkey is eliminationg them.

That can work, good luck!

Another thing, since I'm the only Middle Eastern country on the Security Council, I'll probably do something about the US plans for a troop surge in Afghanistan.

Turkey has troops in Afghanistan, so it may not be recommended.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2009 4:17:10 PM
At 12/11/2009 4:16:31 PM, Republican95 wrote:
I mean, I would endorese/congratualte/whatever the United States for escalating its presence in Afghanistan...

Ah, well it works out then!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2009 4:17:54 PM
My school sends delegates to the U.N., but we get to go to Belgium\ Netherlands\ Luxembourg.

Anyway, I suppose you could slot in something about Greece and Religion. Maybe raise an issue over the need for foreign U.S. military bases in Turkey.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 1:23:37 PM
At 12/12/2009 1:22:38 PM, Volkov wrote:
Hey Republican, this might factor in to your PKK debate: http://www.cbc.ca...

Oh, saw that to in my RSS feed, was going to post it but forgot.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.