Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Minarchism

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 12:15:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Minarchism, or statist libertarianism, is the idea that there should be a completely free market in every area except defense, police, and law. In those areas, there should be a monopoly, which is known as "limited government."

Somehow the arguments that apply to monopolies in all other areas are not applicable to these areas. Somehow the government will not use this monopoly to gain power in other areas of the economy. Somehow, taxation is wrong, except when it concerns these services.

Minarchism is not the product of rational thought, but a limit to rational thought brought about by fear. Fear cultivated by states. The benefit of minarchism espoused by its adherents are not rational, but rationalization. If they heard the same argument relating to another industry they would dismiss it.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
TheHitchslap
Posts: 1,231
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 12:36:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/30/2013 12:15:33 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Minarchism, or statist libertarianism, is the idea that there should be a completely free market in every area except defense, police, and law. In those areas, there should be a monopoly, which is known as "limited government."

Somehow the arguments that apply to monopolies in all other areas are not applicable to these areas. Somehow the government will not use this monopoly to gain power in other areas of the economy. Somehow, taxation is wrong, except when it concerns these services.

Minarchism is not the product of rational thought, but a limit to rational thought brought about by fear. Fear cultivated by states. The benefit of minarchism espoused by its adherents are not rational, but rationalization. If they heard the same argument relating to another industry they would dismiss it.



That's because as per my understanding, this argument your using is nothing more than an appeal to hypocrisy. How the government ought to operate versus how the economy ought to operate do not have the same contexts as to the theory and consequences of particular policies. For instance, we all agree the economy in the "perfect world" would be a completely free-market. However, let the government run completely free .. well .. I call it tyranny.

You cannot claim both should be subjected to competition. Competition in government does not have the same consequences as competition in economics.
Thank you for voting!
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 1:04:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Your post gave me cancer. I shall return to my personal life of slacklining, wakeboarding, ultimate, sex, eating great food, reading, running a business, and semi-legal activities. Goodbye.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
TheHitchslap
Posts: 1,231
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 1:21:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/30/2013 1:04:31 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Your post gave me cancer. I shall return to my personal life of slacklining, wakeboarding, ultimate, sex, eating great food, reading, running a business, and semi-legal activities. Goodbye.

You're so damn cute when your angry =)

Come'ere you!!!
Thank you for voting!
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 1:26:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/30/2013 1:21:50 AM, TheHitchslap wrote:
At 7/30/2013 1:04:31 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Your post gave me cancer. I shall return to my personal life of slacklining, wakeboarding, ultimate, sex, eating great food, reading, running a business, and semi-legal activities. Goodbye.

You're so damn cute when your angry =)

Come'ere you!!!

Do not fondle my teets.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
TheHitchslap
Posts: 1,231
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 1:27:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/30/2013 1:26:09 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 7/30/2013 1:21:50 AM, TheHitchslap wrote:
At 7/30/2013 1:04:31 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Your post gave me cancer. I shall return to my personal life of slacklining, wakeboarding, ultimate, sex, eating great food, reading, running a business, and semi-legal activities. Goodbye.

You're so damn cute when your angry =)

Come'ere you!!!

Do not fondle my teets.

Don't tempt me ...

I'm a starving university student, believe me I hop at every chance for free milk I can get! ;)
Thank you for voting!
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 11:01:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't think WSA will see this but I'll post it anyway.

There are some reservations with anarchy that I have. National defense, and violence between competing firms are the most notable.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 11:19:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/30/2013 12:15:33 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Minarchism, or statist libertarianism, is the idea that there should be a completely free market in every area except defense, police, and law. In those areas, there should be a monopoly, which is known as "limited government."

Somehow the arguments that apply to monopolies in all other areas are not applicable to these areas. Somehow the government will not use this monopoly to gain power in other areas of the economy. Somehow, taxation is wrong, except when it concerns these services.

Minarchism is not the product of rational thought, but a limit to rational thought brought about by fear. Fear cultivated by states. The benefit of minarchism espoused by its adherents are not rational, but rationalization. If they heard the same argument relating to another industry they would dismiss it.



My problem with complete anarchy is exactly those things: defense, police, and law. Those are necessary public goods, and without taxation to acquire these necessary public goods you have the freeloader effect, where very few are paying for goods that are important for all people. This leads to the question of who will just decide to be benevolent and provide those things? I'd rather have elected officials than random buyers. There should of course be some sort of constitution in a minarchy to limit the powers of this government, but those are necessary public goods that should be payed for by everyone, not just a select few.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 11:35:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Competition in the realm of defence is known as "war". If you wish to debate whether a state ought to exist, feel free to challenge me to a debate.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 3:44:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/30/2013 12:15:33 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Minarchism, or statist libertarianism, is the idea that there should be a completely free market in every area except defense, police, and law. In those areas, there should be a monopoly, which is known as "limited government."

Somehow the arguments that apply to monopolies in all other areas are not applicable to these areas. Somehow the government will not use this monopoly to gain power in other areas of the economy. Somehow, taxation is wrong, except when it concerns these services.

Minarchism is not the product of rational thought, but a limit to rational thought brought about by fear. Fear cultivated by states. The benefit of minarchism espoused by its adherents are not rational, but rationalization. If they heard the same argument relating to another industry they would dismiss it.



There are few things that work better with 0 competition. The only 2 that I can think of is National Security (Military, Police, Fire Department) and Money.

Money works best with no competition because money is a medium of exchange, and currency exchange rates defeats the purpose of a medium of exchange.

As for National Security, the Battle of Agincourt is a perfect example of what happens when armies compete for providing national defense. The French Nobles possessed their own private armies. Although the French had a superior force, the English won the battle of Agincourt, because the French Nobles competed with each other for glory rather than working together to defeat the English. The French forces received contradicting orders, and the lack of cohesiveness lead to their crushing defeat. A defense force works best when organized under a single commander, with a set command hierarchy. If there are 2 separate chains of commands, with 2 competing commanders, there are going to be issues.

With almost everything else, more competition is better. These two cases are the exception to the rule, because their nature is different from other industries.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle