Merry Christmas Bill

Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 8:23:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Now, when I started reading this my reaction was, 'Oh, that's cool. A bill that removes legal challenges from the word Christmas. I didn't think there were any in the first place, but okay.'

When I got to the part where it says, 'freedom of religion is not the same as freedom from religion', I knew something was wrong. I know this is late, but any reactions to this idiotic bill?
I can manage my anger if people can manage their stupidity.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 9:06:25 AM
"the holidays are coming earlier this year." ~ Rick Perry

No they're not. If there's anything that does not come earlier this year, it will be a specific date in the calender of December 25th.

I also love how this is evidence of how Perry "is not a governor that shirks away from the tough issues".
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:21:43 PM
At 8/4/2013 8:23:41 AM, Noctan wrote:

Now, when I started reading this my reaction was, 'Oh, that's cool. A bill that removes legal challenges from the word Christmas. I didn't think there were any in the first place, but okay.'

When I got to the part where it says, 'freedom of religion is not the same as freedom from religion', I knew something was wrong. I know this is late, but any reactions to this idiotic bill?

I think you mis interpreted what he said.

He means that people and society are allowed to attempt to impose their moral/religious views on you, just not the government. Freedom of religion, you can practice any religion you want publicly, but in the same way you cannot persecute another religious group for doing the same thing because you are 'offended'. I think that is what he was saying.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:25:43 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:21:43 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

He means that people and society are allowed to attempt to impose their moral/religious views on you, just not the government. Freedom of religion, you can practice any religion you want publicly, but in the same way you cannot persecute another religious group for doing the same thing because you are 'offended'. I think that is what he was saying.

It goes on to say we must pay taxes towards Christian activities, and that Christianity must be taught in school.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:26:43 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:25:43 PM, Noctan wrote:

It goes on to say we must pay taxes towards Christian activities, and that Christianity must be taught in school.

seriously that is some ultra sh!t
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:35:48 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:26:43 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

The taxes thing isn't what gets me. I thought we already did. It shouldn't be mandatory in school, it should be a choice. If they want their child or if the child wants to learn about Christianity, that's fine. But prayer and the Bible shouldn't be mandatory in school. If you're going to act childish, go somewhere else.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:39:33 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:35:48 PM, Noctan wrote:

The taxes thing isn't what gets me. I thought we already did. It shouldn't be mandatory in school, it should be a choice. If they want their child or if the child wants to learn about Christianity, that's fine. But prayer and the Bible shouldn't be mandatory in school. If you're going to act childish, go somewhere else.

i am tired today and felt lazy typing that yes if people want to spend their money on funding Christianity i have no problem with that. but if somebody has the idea to force to pray before class i am walking out of the school that day
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:40:39 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:39:33 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 8/4/2013 2:35:48 PM, Noctan wrote:

i am tired today and felt lazy typing that yes if people want to spend their money on funding Christianity i have no problem with that. but if somebody has the idea to force to pray before class i am walking out of the school that day

Thought you were being sarcastic, haha.