Snowden Leaks Causing Collateral Damage

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:42:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.forbes.com...

Much of the reaction to recent revelations of NSA surveillance activity has focused on the privacy implications for U.S. and foreign citizens and possible ramifications for U.S. international relations and national security. Yet the disclosure of the PRISM program " which the NSA used to collect e-mails, social media content, and other Internet traffic " set off a firestorm that threatens to engulf Silicon Valley boardrooms as well. American tech companies face two significant challenges. First, they could soon be caught in a Catch-22 arising out of contradictory legal systems on either side of the Atlantic. Second, they face the prospect of a declining market share as portions of their customer base seek out providers deemed to be less exploitable by U.S. intelligence agencies.

This argument is a charge the media has historically painted as applying to totalitarian regimes and the like. Ironic it is being boomeranged back to the US.

Discuss.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
the_croftmeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 7:55:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It is unfortunate when corporations are stuck between two contradicting legal codes. As for customers leaving, I think some spreading out of internet infrastructure would be a good idea anyway. Governments and corporations alike are still working out what to do with the internet, we simply haven't had long enough for the system to stabilise (and perhaps it never will, though I think this unlikely). There are bound to be mistakes made and casualties had, there have been in the past and there will be again.

As for what we can do about it? Be more informed as internet consumers I guess. We still have a tendency to wait for the media to throw this kind of information in our faces.