Jump to topic:

If I had to Pick a Voting Block

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 12:39:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
By voting block, I mean a certain region in the country that solidly supports a candidate. There are two voting blocks I have looked at: the liberal northeast and the traditional south. I decided to add up all the electoral votes from both regions. There was one exception and that was that I left out battleground states in those region. You can't guarantee that you will take Florida with all of the south and you can't guarantee that you will take Pennsylvania even with the northeast as a standard liberal block.

The Liberal Northeast: 88 electoral votes
NY
NJ
VT
ME
RI
MA
CT
DE
MA
DC

The Traditional South: 116 electoral votes
TX
SC
KY
AL
AR
LA
TN
WV
GA
MS

It is clear that the south is far more important electorally than the north, so I would pick the south as a voting block. That means the Republicans are doing the right thing at the moment. Both these regions hold ten solid states, but what about the battlegrounds? Do they make the northeast more important? I added PA and NH to the northeast and VA, NC, and FL to the south.

The northeast now has 112 electoral votes, but the south has 173 electoral votes. I wouldn't understand why someone would not want the south has a voting block. It is far more valuable than the north and right now the GOP holds it. They are doing the right thing by staying with their southern conservative base.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 12:40:33 AM
Even adding the northeast's two battleground states and keeping the southern battleground states undecided, it losses to the south 112-116.

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 12:45:05 AM
At 8/7/2013 12:42:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
California, cough

But I'm talking about choosing either the northeast or the traditional south as a voting block for an election. California is not in either region. That would be the west coast.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 12:46:19 AM
At 8/7/2013 12:45:05 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:
California, cough

But I'm talking about choosing either the northeast or the traditional south as a voting block for an election. California is not in either region. That would be the west coast.

What's the point of your post if not to imply that Republicans are at some kind of advantage by choosing the South? The problem is, you pick the Northeast you also get California and the rest of the West Coast
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 12:47:56 AM
At 8/7/2013 12:46:19 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/7/2013 12:45:05 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:
California, cough

What's the point of your post if not to imply that Republicans are at some kind of advantage by choosing the South? The problem is, you pick the Northeast you also get California and the rest of the West Coast

No, there's no guarantee. I'm just comparing between these two regions what would be more important to have.

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 12:52:18 AM
Also, lets say you win California, Oregon, and Washington to the northeast. Now you have 186 electoral votes, but I can add Missouri and Oklahoma to the south. Oklahoma maybe more western, and Missouri further toward the Midwest, but they vote very conservative too. Now I'm winning against you with my 190 electoral votes to your 186.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 12:54:03 AM
At 8/7/2013 12:52:18 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Also, lets say you win California, Oregon, and Washington to the northeast. Now you have 186 electoral votes, but I can add Missouri and Oklahoma to the south. Oklahoma maybe more western, and Missouri further toward the Midwest, but they vote very conservative too. Now I'm winning against you with my 190 electoral votes to your 186.

Yep, that is why republicans won so handily in 2012.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 12:58:59 AM
At 8/7/2013 12:54:03 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I'm talking about the whole region, so the battleground states are included in the south. The battlegrounds in the northeast in this case will vote with the rest of the northeast. This is a scenario in which both regions area completely locked in to one candidate.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 1:00:05 AM
At 8/7/2013 12:58:59 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:

I'm talking about the whole region, so the battleground states are included in the south. The battlegrounds in the northeast in this case will vote with the rest of the northeast. This is a scenario in which both regions area completely locked in to one candidate.

So in other words, not tied to reality in any way. So what is the point of this thought experiment?
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 1:05:25 AM
At 8/7/2013 1:00:05 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

So in other words, not tied to reality in any way. So what is the point of this thought experiment?

I'm just saying the south is the best region to have a voting block because that region holds more votes than any other even without the battleground states included. Republicans are doing the right thing by sticking to this region.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 1:07:13 AM
At 8/7/2013 1:05:25 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:

I'm just saying the south is the best region to have a voting block because that region holds more votes than any other even without the battleground states included. Republicans are doing the right thing by sticking to this region.

By grouping them as a single entity that cannot individually make up their minds, you are stepping away from reality. Once you do that, you cannot make any conclusions that try to come back to reality.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 1:10:42 AM
At 8/7/2013 1:07:13 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

By grouping them as a single entity that cannot individually make up their minds, you are stepping away from reality. Once you do that, you cannot make any conclusions that try to come back to reality.

They can make up their minds and the south usually votes GOP. Do you disagree?

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 2:06:17 AM
At 8/7/2013 1:10:42 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:

Generally, most the south does.

However, when you throw in "This is a scenario in which both regions area completely locked in to one candidate." you have stepped away from reality.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 8:21:50 AM
At 8/7/2013 2:06:17 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/7/2013 1:10:42 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:

Generally, most the south does.

However, when you throw in "This is a scenario in which both regions area completely locked in to one candidate." you have stepped away from reality.

G.W. locked in ever state in the south for his re election. It's not stepping away from reality.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2013 1:10:41 PM
At 8/7/2013 2:06:17 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Historygenius wasn't living that close to reality to begin with
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015