Jump to topic:

Silvio Berlusconi was whacked!

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 4:00:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
... with a statue of a cathedral in Milan, when he was signing 'autographs.' - http://www.cbc.ca...

Now that I have your attention, I'd like to talk about something in relation to this; politicians and their personal fame.

Few can dispute the adoration placed upon Barack Obama, the (at times) disgusting but headline-grabbing antics of Silvio Berlusconi, or the rather odd private life of Nicolas Sarkozy.

Yet, sometimes people look to these politicians only for what they see, and not what they think. This is a major thing in North America, where in the US and Canada, politicians are judged more upon how they look, their pedigree, and how they enunciate words (Obama, Ignatieff), or how friendly they are and whether or not you can "have a beer" with them (Bush, Palin, Layton), rather than what proposals they put forward and the ideas they have for governance.

So my questions are, how much do appearance politics do you think play into your own voting intentions/opinions, how much does it matter to others, and whether or not it is a good thing that we are so fixated on appearances over policy?
dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2009 4:01:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Regarding a new candidate, I first look at his or her educational attainment. Is he accomplished in a substantive area? Then I look at his experience. What work has he done? Then I look at his ideas and positions on the issues. Most important - does he responsively, as opposed to evasion, answer questions.

That said, I must CONFESS that I actually voted for JESSE VENTURA for governor of Minnesota. And to my amazement the following morning, he won!

PLEASE FORGIVE ME.