Jump to topic:

Is this true about Obamacare?

donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2013 3:25:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been hearing that Congress has exempted themselves from Obamacare.. So while we have it, they don't have to... A bit scary, wouldn't you say?

I've heard this from several Conservative News Sites, so I'm curious... Is this story true or cherrypicked?
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2013 3:36:57 PM
At 8/12/2013 3:25:53 PM, donald.keller wrote:
I've been hearing that Congress has exempted themselves from Obamacare.. So while we have it, they don't have to... A bit scary, wouldn't you say?

I've heard this from several Conservative News Sites, so I'm curious... Is this story true or cherrypicked?

This is actually false, they have universal care that they each pay into.

Before his sex scandals, you can google the transcript, but Anthony Weiner in congress actually pointed this out when debating Obamacare at the time to support it (that congressional members already have it and the same conservatives trying to stop it use it frequently and actually enjoy it)

As Bill Clinton once said "every politician wants you to think he was born in a log cabin he built himself....but that just isn't true..."
Thank you for voting!
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2013 4:12:58 PM
good good.

Double checking is the road to the truth.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 5:59:42 PM
Members of Congress will be required to purchase insurance beginning in January.

There are other factors involved, but they are not exempt.

Here is proof, in case you are challenged on this.
http://www.factcheck.org...
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 11:21:05 AM
This is kinda off topic but

Will Obamacare create less jobs since employers are have to provide health insurance for every employee.

Take my job for example, I work at a place called Mainevent, it's basically like Dave and Busters. We have entirely too many people working in the games department (about 30) and there are only like 4 positions (laser tag, prize awards, rope swing, games attendant) that need to be fulfilled. Once Obamacare comes around, wouldn't it be more profitable for employers to cut half of them instead of providing coverage for all of them.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 11:29:21 AM
At 8/14/2013 11:21:05 AM, Disquisition wrote:

Will Obamacare create less jobs since employers are have to provide health insurance for every employee.

Take my job for example, I work at a place called Mainevent, it's basically like Dave and Busters. We have entirely too many people working in the games department (about 30) and there are only like 4 positions (laser tag, prize awards, rope swing, games attendant) that need to be fulfilled. Once Obamacare comes around, wouldn't it be more profitable for employers to cut half of them instead of providing coverage for all of them.

You're claiming it's Obamacare's fault that your employer is presently wasting money?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 11:51:44 AM
At 8/14/2013 11:29:21 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

You're claiming it's Obamacare's fault that your employer is presently wasting money?

As I understand the question, I share fears that the ACA will create an incentive for part-time workers, which could compel hiring/retainment decisions such as the ones that have been described here. These impacts are minor, however, since tax credits have been designed to neutralize the additional costs.

"The health care law requires employers with 50 or more full-time workers (defined as 30 hours per week or more) to provide insurance or pay a fine." I worry that many employers will attempt to oppress their workers by denying them full-time status. Remember, they will not suffer much of an additional burden, thanks to the tax credits.

The ACA is modeled after Mitt Romney's Massachusetts health care laws. These state reforms, therefore, offer the best study materials available for the effects of ObamaCare in practice. Employment has not plummeted, part time workers have not proliferated, and the sky did not fall.

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 11:56:40 AM
At 8/14/2013 11:51:44 AM, DeFool wrote:

As I understand the question, I share fears that the ACA will create an incentive for part-time workers, which could compel hiring/retainment decisions such as the ones that have been described here. These impacts are minor, however, since tax credits have been designed to neutralize the additional costs.

"The health care law requires employers with 50 or more full-time workers (defined as 30 hours per week or more) to provide insurance or pay a fine." I worry that many employers will attempt to oppress their workers by denying them full-time status. Remember, they will not suffer much of an additional burden, thanks to the tax credits.

The ACA is modeled after Mitt Romney's Massachusetts health care laws. These state reforms, therefore, offer the best study materials available for the effects of ObamaCare in practice. Employment has not plummeted, part time workers have not proliferated, and the sky did not fall.

Right, no, I agree with you. But the formulation of the question baffles me. It argues that the employer is presently keeping on people for no good reason...but will cease doing so if costs rise (this despite the tax incentives you noted which would seem to diminish that cost rather handily). I doubt the business is keeping these people on out of the goodness of their heart, so it seems to draw the question of why they have these employees now if they're such a waste? As you note, there are fears that employers may try to game the system...but those fears did not materialize.

And, while I can understand where the fears come from, but the corporate structure is such that they should already be running without wasting money, as a general rule, so these supposed added costs shouldn't necessarily drastically change the equation.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 12:04:34 PM
At 8/14/2013 11:56:40 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 8/14/2013 11:51:44 AM, DeFool wrote:

Right, no, I agree with you. But the formulation of the question baffles me. It argues that the employer is presently keeping on people for no good reason...but will cease doing so if costs rise (this despite the tax incentives you noted which would seem to diminish that cost rather handily). I doubt the business is keeping these people on out of the goodness of their heart, so it seems to draw the question of why they have these employees now if they're such a waste? As you note, there are fears that employers may try to game the system...but those fears did not materialize.

And, while I can understand where the fears come from, but the corporate structure is such that they should already be running without wasting money, as a general rule, so these supposed added costs shouldn't necessarily drastically change the equation.

I agree... if the margin between business success or failure is ObamaCare, then ObamaCare is not the problem; poor business skills are the problem.