Jump to topic:

Chris Christie Signs Bill to Ban GCT

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 6:23:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Which, if I must say... it's about damn time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

Christie signs bill that bans gay conversion therapy

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R). (Mel Evans/Associated Press)

Update 12:48 p.m.: Christie has now signed the legislation. Original post follows.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) on Monday will announce that he plans to sign a bill that will ban the practice of trying to convert gay children to become heterosexual, according to an aide.

Christie"s office had previously made clear that the governor doesn"t believe in gay conversion therapy, but it had not said whether he would sign the bill passed by the legislature.

Christie said months ago that, despite his personal opposition, he wasn"t sure whether the government should legislate the therapy.

"I still have those concerns," he plans to say Monday. "Government should tread carefully into this area, and I do so here reluctantly. I have scrutinized this piece of legislation with that concern in mind."

But, Christie will note, the American Psychological Association has said that gay conversion therapy " also known as reparative therapy " can lead to mental health issues and substance abuse.

"I believe that exposing children to these health risks without clear evidence of benefits that outweigh these serious risks is not appropriate," Christie will say. "Based upon this analysis, I sign this bill into law."

Gay conversion therapy is a controversial practice. It became an issue in the 2012 presidential race when gay rights groups accused Marcus Bachmann " the husband of Rep. Michele Bachmann"s (Minn.), a GOP candidate " of trying to convert gay people at a counseling center he owned. Marcus Bachmann denied that he was involved in such therapy.

California is the only state that has attempted a ban on gay conversion therapy but in December 2012 a three-judge panel of a U.S. appeals court blocked the ban, which was scheduled to take effect on January 1, 2013. Since then, no other states have enacted similar legislation.

Christie"s decision to sign the measure is the third major legislative decision he has made in recent days. On Friday, he vetoed a bill that would have banned a specific type of long-range assault rifle and issued a conditional veto of a medical marijuana bill, asking the legislature to require the approval of two doctors rather than one when prescribing marijuana to children.

Democrats criticized Christie for vetoing the gun bill. The governor had expressed support for banning the Barrett .50 caliber long-range rifle after the massacre in Newtown, Conn., but he said Friday that the measure would have gone too far by requiring owners of the weapon to forfeit it.

By contrast, his decision to sign the bill banning gay conversion therapy could alienate some Christian conservatives who believe that being gay is a choice and a sin.

Christie has charted a somewhat moderate course when it comes to gay rights issues. Although he vetoed a bill last year that would have legalized same-sex marriage, he favors civil unions and has said that he thinks people are born gay and that being gay is not a sin.

Originally posted at 6:30 a.m.

--
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:00:20 PM
At 8/19/2013 8:31:06 PM, Maikuru wrote:
There's a man who wants that sweet nomination.

I don't think this will help him with the GOP bloc, but it probably won't hurt him either. It also moderates his position on LGBT issues (given his stance on gay marriage), which may garner younger voters. Even still, I don't think this is about politics. I think it's about basic human decency. Gay conversion therapy is barbaric, and I'm glad it's being put to an end for minors. It ought to be banned outright, but progress is gradual. I'm just surprised that Massachusetts hasn't done it yet...
Tsar of DDO
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:17:26 PM
At 8/19/2013 9:00:20 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/19/2013 8:31:06 PM, Maikuru wrote:
There's a man who wants that sweet nomination.

I don't think this will help him with the GOP bloc, but it probably won't hurt him either. It also moderates his position on LGBT issues (given his stance on gay marriage), which may garner younger voters. Even still, I don't think this is about politics. I think it's about basic human decency. Gay conversion therapy is barbaric, and I'm glad it's being put to an end for minors. It ought to be banned outright, but progress is gradual. I'm just surprised that Massachusetts hasn't done it yet...

This is absolutely the right thing to do, but the timing doesn't escape me or the media. He also recently signed some anti-assault weapon and pro-marijuana legislation, He knows what audience he and the GOP need to play to and with Hilary making her presence known, the GOP is starting its search for a counter-note.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:39:58 PM
More authoritarianism. Fuhrer Christie thinks he can tell us what to do and decide which businesses should exist. Let the free market weed out bad business.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:43:40 PM
This definitely won't win him points with the libertarians.

Personally, I don't see the need or justification for banning gay conversion centers anymore than banning scientology centers.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:47:56 PM
Since Christie's response to hurricane Sandy, perhaps I'm just being really naive, but I get the impression that he really doesn't care for the political utility of his actions.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:51:47 PM
At 8/19/2013 9:43:40 PM, Wnope wrote:

Personally, I don't see the need or justification for banning gay conversion centers anymore than banning scientology centers.

I agree with Wnope. He should ban scientology centers.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:53:04 PM
At 8/19/2013 9:47:56 PM, 000ike wrote:
Since Christie's response to hurricane Sandy, perhaps I'm just being really naive, but I get the impression that he really doesn't care for the political utility of his actions.

Why do you say that? I was thinking just the opposite. His renegade, for-the-people, every man approach seems the exact angle the GOP need right now.
- lamerde

drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 10:18:06 PM

Except when you consider that parents are, in this case, forcing their children to undergo this therapy. It's not being banned for adults who actually consent to it.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 10:21:50 PM
At 8/19/2013 9:51:47 PM, Maikuru wrote:

You could always take it a step further. Ban churches, synagogues, and mosques. :)

Buddhists are cool, though- so don't ban them.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 10:28:13 PM
At 8/19/2013 10:21:50 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/19/2013 9:51:47 PM, Maikuru wrote:

You could always take it a step further. Ban churches, synagogues, and mosques. :)

Buddhists are cool, though- so don't ban them.

I'm Maikuru and I approve this message.
- lamerde

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 10:28:53 PM
At 8/19/2013 10:18:06 PM, drhead wrote:

Except when you consider that parents are, in this case, forcing their children to undergo this therapy. It's not being banned for adults who actually consent to it.

If parents are forcing their kids to do something, the punishment should be aimed at the parents.

A parent willing to force his child to "gay camp" probably won't just sit back and say "oh, well, the gay conversion center isn't there, maybe I'll just accept my son the way he is."

I'm not for gay conversion places by any measure. However, I don't see outlawing them as a justified response.

Perhaps you could put an age restriction. Only 18+ allowed.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 10:32:53 PM

Most libertarians don't support any and all private institutions, categorically. I'm sure that if somebody set up a slave trading shop or a nuclear reactor down the street from their house, even the most devout libertarian would lobby the government to shut it down.

Anarchists, on the other hand...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 11:10:28 PM
At 8/19/2013 9:47:56 PM, 000ike wrote:

He's a Republican in a blue state. He knows his constituency, and he knows his position is going to be much more aligned to a typical Democrat position than a deep South GOP position if he cares about his political future.

I don't know much about his politics specifically, but I'd imagine he's a fiscal conservative...he has a good background in corporate lobbying and so has good business sense (I would hope). This is consistent with my experiences with GOP politicians in blue states like mine, for example, California, and why I consider myself a moderate conservative. Most of these politicians are relatively progressive on social issues, and much, much more practical on fiscal issues than Democrats.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 11:22:37 PM
At 8/19/2013 10:28:53 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/19/2013 10:18:06 PM, drhead wrote:

If parents are forcing their kids to do something, the punishment should be aimed at the parents.

A parent willing to force his child to "gay camp" probably won't just sit back and say "oh, well, the gay conversion center isn't there, maybe I'll just accept my son the way he is."

I'm not for gay conversion places by any measure. However, I don't see outlawing them as a justified response.

Perhaps you could put an age restriction. Only 18+ allowed.

That's pretty much what is being done.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian