Jump to topic:

The Top 10 Presidents In U.S. History

TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 10:36:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
These are some of the sh!ttest presidents of all time.

Andrew Jackson? Honestly? All he said was "free-market, state rights, liberty" is that all his requirements for a good president is? What a right-wing biased piece of sh!t.

The dude took down the national bank .. which the guy conveniently fails to mention outright causes a nasty recession in the US economy. In fact this happened twice in the US's history, any time you try to get rid of the national bank .. the economy will tank.

Calvin Coolidge is another joke of a president. In fact his policies are too tied to causing the Great Depression

Zackery Taylor? Really? The guy was never even near the d@mn House of Representatives. Useless.

How about some real presidents? how about Abraham Lincoln? How about Franklin D Roosevelt? Or Woodrow Wilson? Or Theoodor Roosevelt?

This list is a complete joke.
Thank you for voting!
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 11:32:40 AM
Andrew Jackson cannot be considered a "good" President, or even a good human being. It would have been better for the world had he, and Stalin, and Mao, and Pol-Pot, never lived.

My own list of "best" American Presidents can never include practitioners of genocide or ethnic cleansing. I also cannot endorse the child molester Jefferson with an open mouth. I am grateful for the Louisiana purchase, shame about the slavery.

Washington was a slave owner who did not rape or murder his slaves. This makes him a worthless human being, but his actions as president were exemplary - except for the wanton killings of his era's "Tea Party;" we remember that he led a military attack against the tax-revolters. He did refuse the crown; I am grateful for that. Shame about the slavery.

In my view, any list of the most important criminals to hold the White House must always include the homicidal James K Polk. This man, in his single term as President, changed our nation for the better more than any other before or since, exempting the pedophiles, rapists, and slave owners. (Polk was a slave owner.)

Here is why Polk must be added to the list:

-Polk triggered the requisite political changes that eventually ended slavery (unintentionally)

-Polk annexed Texas into the US

-Polk intentionally provoked a war with Mexico during which the US Army conquered all territory as far south as Vera Cruz and Mexico City, although these areas were returned to Mexico. The war saw the conquest of California, New Mexico, South Texas, and Arizona.

Thanks to Polk's illegal and unprovoked war with Mexico, the United States became a true continental power, with no potential military threats anywhere. Thanks to his shiftless and cowardly policies on slavery, this disgusting crime was eventually stamped out in the Civil War.

Before Lincoln, we cannot hope that a decent human being will have ever held the White House. But, thanks to criminals such as Polk, we can at least be thankful for our status as a superpower.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 2:24:57 PM
I can see how Jefferson, Jackson, Washington, and maybe Adams and Madison could be in the top 10 but there are people on this list shouldnt be on there.

Grover, Van Buren, Coolidge, and Zachary Taylor are most certainly not ten of the best presidents in US history. Presidents like Lincoln, Eisenhower Reagan, JFK, Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt, and even Wilson have much better claims to being in the top ten then some of the the nobodies featured in this clip....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 2:47:25 PM
You've gotta take into account the context of the situation, to at least some extent. 19th and 18th century idealism did not wholly take into account the situations of minorities and the under privileged. Exercising and supporting liberal ideals was simply a matter of time. What I'm saying is you can't label someone from these eras as "worthless human beings" just because they may have held a common grudge against blacks or if they committed what today would be considered heinous crimes.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 2:54:11 PM
At 8/20/2013 2:47:25 PM, ben2974 wrote:
You've gotta take into account the context of the situation, to at least some extent. 19th and 18th century idealism did not wholly take into account the situations of minorities and the under privileged. Exercising and supporting liberal ideals was simply a matter of time. What I'm saying is you can't label someone from these eras as "worthless human beings" just because they may have held a common grudge against blacks or if they committed what today would be considered heinous crimes.

Oh we certainly can and have the right to denounce past presidents for heinous crimes they committed in the past just because nobody at the time cared that they did 100 years from now people will be giving Obama and Bush hell for droning civilians to death. Hell people are already doing that right now!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 2:57:17 PM
At 8/20/2013 2:54:11 PM, imabench wrote:

Oh we certainly can and have the right to denounce past presidents for heinous crimes they committed in the past just because nobody at the time cared that they did 100 years from now people will be giving Obama and Bush hell for droning civilians to death. Hell people are already doing that right now!

I understand. But to label them and judge them solely on the bad deeds they've committed is an unfair assessment.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 2:59:02 PM
At 8/20/2013 2:57:17 PM, ben2974 wrote:

I understand. But to label them and judge them solely on the bad deeds they've committed is an unfair assessment.

Oh I know that, but im not judging them exclusively off of their bad deeds. Most other people on here do though, say one good thing about FDR or Lincoln and theyll come out of the woods and act as if they were the worst presidents ever

1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 3:13:22 PM
I stopped watching at Zachary Taylor.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 3:35:26 PM

I'm quite in my rights to claim that the man who gave money to charity after mass murder is an immoral person and focus on the mass murder aspects.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
criticalmass
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 6:31:20 PM
Everyone believes that Abraham Lincoln should be on this list and while he did a great number of incredible things I.E. he freed the slaves and united our great country, we always fail to remember had John wilkes booth not assassinated him all slaves would have been sent back to Africa and any sane person would say that the living conditions of modern day America are worth the years of slavery and segregation compared to the years of genocide and starvation in Africa which is still occurring to this day. As well as his planned slave eviction he entrusted his war efforts to psychopaths that destroyed major cities unnecessarily in the south that he was trying to unite with the union so the question becomes this if your trying to conquer something why destroy more than you have to and then spend money to rebuild it, it just doesn't make sense, however I will agree with JFK and Reagan. I will also agree that this list is completely s***.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 6:54:15 PM
At 8/20/2013 3:35:26 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

I'm quite in my rights to claim that the man who gave money to charity after mass murder is an immoral person and focus on the mass murder aspects.

Whoever this president is, my point still stands.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2013 8:52:21 PM
These are junk, but I would gladly debate some of the hacks on here that think these presidents are good:

-Abraham Lincoln (anyone who doesn't drink the academia cool aid and does a little research realizes he was a scumbag, I'll justify why if challenged)

- Franklin Roosevelt, He was just at the right place at the right time, he defended the US from being invaded, isn't that a presidents job? Doesn't seem too exemplary to me, not impressed. Plus he was the first person to introduce deficit spending as a stimulus to the economy, and even his stimulus is controversial and there is no proof it worked. He was good with rhetoric on his nice fireside chats, but that's about it.

- Woodrow Wilson, Scumbag, nearly instated martial law, suspended the people's rights and started the phobia of innocent german immigrants with his propaganda. Also fought heavily against women's suffrage. The only thing I can credit him with is the League of nations, but he even failed with that and by not being able to convince congress to allow us entry in to our own coalition, it became irrelevant quickly. He also tried to make the treaty of Versailles less draconian, but failed. Intentions are nice, but results are more important, Wilson has some nice intentions but the results were poor.

- JFK, an opportunist and coward, started our disastrous foray in to Vietnam and chickened out where we really did need a hardened cold warrior, in Cuba. If we would have invaded those b*stards and told the soviets to shove it we would have probably scared the hell out of the soviets and stopped a lot of future conflicts. He also caused thousands of cubans to die during the Bay of Pigs when he backed out of his own invasion and refused the Cuban rebels air support that they were promised. Once again, if they would have had the air support, chances are the Bay of Pigs would have succeeded, but academia will never actually tell you that we lost the bay of pigs because JFK was sniveling coward who didn't follow through with the invasion he plotted, they will make up excuses.

Presidents that are OK that leftits denounce on here:

-Coolidge

- Jefferson

- Jackson

I didn't feel posting any arguments on their behalf, but if someone wishes to challenge any of those I will gladly bite.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 8:11:43 AM
At 8/20/2013 8:52:21 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
These are junk, but I would gladly debate some of the hacks on here that think these presidents are good:

-Abraham Lincoln (anyone who doesn't drink the academia cool aid and does a little research realizes he was a scumbag, I'll justify why if challenged)

- Franklin Roosevelt, He was just at the right place at the right time, he defended the US from being invaded, isn't that a presidents job? Doesn't seem too exemplary to me, not impressed. Plus he was the first person to introduce deficit spending as a stimulus to the economy, and even his stimulus is controversial and there is no proof it worked. He was good with rhetoric on his nice fireside chats, but that's about it.

- Woodrow Wilson, Scumbag, nearly instated martial law, suspended the people's rights and started the phobia of innocent german immigrants with his propaganda. Also fought heavily against women's suffrage. The only thing I can credit him with is the League of nations, but he even failed with that and by not being able to convince congress to allow us entry in to our own coalition, it became irrelevant quickly. He also tried to make the treaty of Versailles less draconian, but failed. Intentions are nice, but results are more important, Wilson has some nice intentions but the results were poor.

- JFK, an opportunist and coward, started our disastrous foray in to Vietnam and chickened out where we really did need a hardened cold warrior, in Cuba. If we would have invaded those b*stards and told the soviets to shove it we would have probably scared the hell out of the soviets and stopped a lot of future conflicts. He also caused thousands of cubans to die during the Bay of Pigs when he backed out of his own invasion and refused the Cuban rebels air support that they were promised. Once again, if they would have had the air support, chances are the Bay of Pigs would have succeeded, but academia will never actually tell you that we lost the bay of pigs because JFK was sniveling coward who didn't follow through with the invasion he plotted, they will make up excuses.

^ Told you a conservative hack would come out and denounce great past presidents just because of their insane bias to the right.....

-Coolidge

- Jefferson

And when in ever have those presidents been denounced by leftists? Hell I went in record liking Jefferson in this very thread and have nothing but good things to say about Coolidge

- Jackson

I didn't feel posting any arguments on their behalf, but if someone wishes to challenge any of those I will gladly bite.

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 1:18:07 PM
I'm a conservative and I even see this as crap. Yes, Coolidge was a good president in my opinion, but he does not rise higher than 10. No. Jackson was awful in my opinion, but the libertarians hail him as some kind of hero. By the way, he was not free trade guy. He sent troops down to SC because they didn't want to pay the tariff and then signed another compromise tariff into law. Some free trade. This also denies him the possibility of advocating a state's rights.

In order:

1. Abraham Lincoln
2. George Washington
3. Ronald Reagan
4. Franklin Roosevelt
5. Theodore Roosevelt
6. Thomas Jefferson
7. Harry Truman
8. Dwight Eisenhower
9. Lyndon Johnson
10. Calvin Coolidge
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 3:07:34 PM
At 8/21/2013 1:18:07 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
I'm a conservative and I even see this as crap. Yes, Coolidge was a good president in my opinion, but he does not rise higher than 10. No. Jackson was awful in my opinion, but the libertarians hail him as some kind of hero. By the way, he was not free trade guy. He sent troops down to SC because they didn't want to pay the tariff and then signed another compromise tariff into law. Some free trade. This also denies him the possibility of advocating a state's rights.

In order:

1. Abraham Lincoln
2. George Washington
3. Ronald Reagan
4. Franklin Roosevelt
5. Theodore Roosevelt
6. Thomas Jefferson
7. Harry Truman
8. Dwight Eisenhower
9. Lyndon Johnson
10. Calvin Coolidge

Now THAT ^ is a proper top ten list

DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 5:35:11 PM
At 8/21/2013 3:07:34 PM, imabench wrote:

In order:

1. Abraham Lincoln
2. George Washington
3. Ronald Reagan
4. Franklin Roosevelt
5. Theodore Roosevelt
6. Thomas Jefferson
7. Harry Truman
8. Dwight Eisenhower
9. Lyndon Johnson
10. Calvin Coolidge

Ronald Reagan... this man was a criminal, who launched a criminal war. He wanted to conduct political killings in Nicaragua, but Congress wrote a law that prevented him from doing so. In response, he sold US weapons systems to Iran (illegally), and used the profits to conduct his war in Nicaragua. These were unforgivable death squads. He also spent the United States into oblivion.

Calvin Coolidge must be removed due to boredom; he did very little of note. I would replace him with Polk, who won a war and added 50% of our land mass.

Jackson was a genocidal lunatic... his was not an eventful presidency, at any rate. He was a very well-promoted president, but not more decisive than most. (This excludes the things that his supporters might want removed from his legacy, such as genocide.)

Lyndon Johnson should be remembered as the most noteworthy president since the modern political parties formed. For many reasons... Vietnam and Civil Rights, and Entitlements... oh my.

Nixon should also be remembered; I am the fiercest of liberals, and I say so. He did very well with China, he ended Vietnam, and he created the EPA.

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 5:41:57 PM
At 8/21/2013 5:35:11 PM, DeFool wrote:

In order:

1. Abraham Lincoln
2. George Washington
3. Ronald Reagan
4. Franklin Roosevelt
5. Theodore Roosevelt
6. Thomas Jefferson
7. Harry Truman
8. Dwight Eisenhower
9. Lyndon Johnson
10. Calvin Coolidge

Ronald Reagan... this man was a criminal, who launched a criminal war. He wanted to conduct political killings in Nicaragua, but Congress wrote a law that prevented him from doing so. In response, he sold US weapons systems to Iran (illegally), and used the profits to conduct his war in Nicaragua. These were unforgivable death squads. He also spent the United States into oblivion.

Calvin Coolidge must be removed due to boredom; he did very little of note. I would replace him with Polk, who won a war and added 50% of our land mass.

Jackson was a genocidal lunatic... his was not an eventful presidency, at any rate. He was a very well-promoted president, but not more decisive than most. (This excludes the things that his supporters might want removed from his legacy, such as genocide.)

Lyndon Johnson should be remembered as the most noteworthy president since the modern political parties formed. For many reasons... Vietnam and Civil Rights, and Entitlements... oh my.

Nixon should also be remembered; I am the fiercest of liberals, and I say so. He did very well with China, he ended Vietnam, and he created the EPA.

That is a debate I would like to see. History vs Defool on whether or not Reagan should be considered a good president.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 5:48:34 PM
Pre-Modern:

1. George Washington - the establishment of the office
2. Theodore Roosevelt - Adding states, labor rights, Panama Canal, etc.
3. James K Polk - acquisition of 50% of our land mass
4. Abraham Lincoln - conduct of the Civil War
5. Thomas Jefferson - Louisiana Purchase

Modern:

1. Franklin Roosevelt - Conduct of WW2, minimum wage, social security, rural electrification, etc..
2. Lyndon Johnson - Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, Entitlements
3. William Howard Taft - banking Reform, anti-trust legislation
4. Harry Truman - conduct of WW2, the Truman Doctrine
5. Jimmy Carter - the most legislative successes of any modern president
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 6:13:51 PM
At 8/21/2013 8:11:43 AM, imabench wrote:

^ Told you a conservative hack would come out and denounce great past presidents just because of their insane bias to the right.....

Do you want to troll or debate buddy? Cheap ad hominem insults aren't doing anything for you.

-Coolidge

- Jefferson

And when in ever have those presidents been denounced by leftists?

Leftists claim coolidge's policy of laissez-faire capitalism (instead of leftist crony capitalism) caused the great depression

Leftists use slavery arguments to vilify Jefferson.

Hell I went in record liking Jefferson in this very thread and have nothing but good things to say about Coolidge

You do realize you are sounding very defensive right now, seeing as how I never even singled you out, and your tone is making it seem like I did.

- Jackson

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 6:23:05 PM

In order:

1. Abraham Lincoln-Nope
2. George Washington-Exxagerated, but possibly. Was a terrible military strategist (fort wilderness being one example)
3. Ronald Reagan-Controversial but accepted
4. Franklin Roosevelt-Nope
5. Theodore Roosevelt-I don't think he belongs on top 10, but should be noted for his conservation efforts.
6. Thomas Jefferson-Agreed
7. Harry Truman-Arguable, had some notable accomplishments but I think others are more deserving, like Jackson.
8. Dwight Eisenhower-Controversial but agreed
9. Lyndon Johnson-Nope
10. Calvin Coolidge-Agreed.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 6:24:45 PM
At 8/21/2013 5:48:34 PM, DeFool wrote:
Pre-Modern:

1. George Washington - the establishment of the office
2. Theodore Roosevelt - Adding states, labor rights, Panama Canal, etc.
3. James K Polk - acquisition of 50% of our land mass
4. Abraham Lincoln - conduct of the Civil War
5. Thomas Jefferson - Louisiana Purchase

Modern:

1. Franklin Roosevelt - Conduct of WW2, minimum wage, social security, rural electrification, etc..
2. Lyndon Johnson - Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, Entitlements
3. William Howard Taft - banking Reform, anti-trust legislation
4. Harry Truman - conduct of WW2, the Truman Doctrine
5. Jimmy Carter - the most legislative successes of any modern president

Pretty much all of these, a major no.

Especially jimmy carter, I've never seen anyone put him in a top 10 list because he was a large scale foreign policy failure and there were major gas price hikes and inflation during his presidency. Plus he was just a freakin' antisemitic potato farmer, nothing special there.
criticalmass
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 6:48:17 PM

-Coolidge

- Jefferson

- Jackson

I agree with you on almost all points except jfk and the Cuban missile crisis and the reason being is that we cant say for sure that it wouldn't have escalated into a nuclear war. sometimes a hard stance isn't the answer and we must turn to diplomacy while maintaining strength and I think jfk did a good job of that and he was no coward he was a ww2 vet and hero. he wasn't the best president but he was certainly better than most .
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 6:50:08 PM
As a leftist, I condemn Andrew Jackson for the ethnic cleansing that he committed. I am joined in this hatred of Jackson by his political rival, David Crockett, who vowed to unseat him as president. (Crockett died before he could fulfill this oath.)

Coolidge subscribed to the myth that lower taxes mean more tax collections. This has been decisively negated by all reputable economists. He also began the practice of corporate welfare and began industrialized farming - which starves millions worldwide by creating unnaturally low prices for American produce. (Agricultural goods should be subsidized based on demand; consumer credits rather than corporate subsidies.)

Woodrow Wilson was a far-right wing bigot who was closely allied to the Ku Klux Klan, which enjoyed a renaissance during his term. Wilson inflicted the crime of segregation on America, a travesty that undid half a century of progress before him - and took another half century to heal from. His anti-woman bigotry was every bit what one might expect of an militant gay man.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 8:24:19 PM
At 8/21/2013 6:13:51 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

Do you want to troll or debate buddy? Cheap ad hominem insults aren't doing anything for you.

It actually is since you single handedly proved my claim that conservative hacks such as yourself constantly come out of the woodwork to denounce presidents like FDR or JFK whenever someone says something positive of them on this site....

-Coolidge

- Jefferson

And when in ever have those presidents been denounced by leftists?

Leftists claim coolidge's policy of laissez-faire capitalism (instead of leftist crony capitalism) caused the great depression

Just about every leftist here blames the Great Depression on under-regulation of banks, rampant stock market speculation, etc. go ahead and try to find a single person who thinks it was president Coolidge's fault, I bet you can't do it.

Leftists use slavery arguments to vilify Jefferson.

I fail to see how any leftists on here think Jefferson was a bad president.

Hell I went in record liking Jefferson in this very thread and have nothing but good things to say about Coolidge

You do realize you are sounding very defensive right now

You do realize that I don't give much of a sh*t what you think

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 8:41:27 PM

In order:

1. Abraham Lincoln

Not bad, but not the best.

2. George Washington

Given the circumstances, his wisdom is why he deserves to be here.

3. Ronald Reagan

Nope.

4. Franklin Roosevelt

Good intent, bad outcome. That, good fellow, is the narrative theme of FDR's presidency.

5. Theodore Roosevelt

His proclivity for shooting lions was disconcerting.

6. Thomas Jefferson

Flagrant hypocrite.

7. Harry Truman

He dropped the bomb, which makes him a'ight.

8. Dwight Eisenhower

Meh.

9. Lyndon Johnson

Good intent, worse outcome.

10. Calvin Coolidge

Gotta love silent Cal, but love in the way that one loves an aging grandfather -not in the way one loves a president.

Not so much...
Tsar of DDO
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 10:51:51 PM

-Coolidge

- Jefferson

And when in ever have those presidents been denounced by leftists? Hell I went in record liking Jefferson in this very thread and have nothing but good things to say about Coolidge

I am a leftist, and I consider Jefferson only a moderately skillful president.

Even if we dismiss the slavery question, I cannot see how his actions as president were anything above what we would have expected had Aaron Burr been elected instead. I cannot imagine Burr turning down the Louisiana Purchase, or forgoing the auditing mission of Louis and Clark.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 10:52:56 PM
At 8/21/2013 8:41:27 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/21/2013 1:18:07 PM, 1Historygenius

Not so much...

Well how about you give a top 10 and we see how your picks stand up to scrutiny then instead of just being a critic?