Jump to topic:

Age of Eligibility for Social Security

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 9:01:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Because I don't want to start out with my own opinion and I want this to be generally open to discussion, I'm just going to post some background information about social security.

At its inception in 1935, the life expectancy was about 62. As of 2010, the life expectancy is 78.7 (1). In 1940, there were about 159.4 workers supporting each Social Security beneficiary. This quickly went down as more people started to use it. By 1955, it was down to 8.6 workers for each beneficiary. As of 2010, it was down to 2.9 (2). By 2040, it is expected to be at 2.1 workers supporting each beneficiary. Fertility rates are on a downward trend, and people are living longer, and after reaching the age of eligibility, the average lifespan is even longer (3). Currently, the life expectancy of people who reach the age of 65 is 40%, or six years, longer than it was in 1940 (4).

Should the age of eligibility be raised? If so, how much? Are there better ways to reform social security, or does it not need reform at all?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 9:46:33 PM
At 8/21/2013 9:01:22 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Because I don't want to start out with my own opinion and I want this to be generally open to discussion, I'm just going to post some background information about social security.

At its inception in 1935, the life expectancy was about 62. As of 2010, the life expectancy is 78.7 (1). In 1940, there were about 159.4 workers supporting each Social Security beneficiary. This quickly went down as more people started to use it. By 1955, it was down to 8.6 workers for each beneficiary. As of 2010, it was down to 2.9 (2). By 2040, it is expected to be at 2.1 workers supporting each beneficiary. Fertility rates are on a downward trend, and people are living longer, and after reaching the age of eligibility, the average lifespan is even longer (3). Currently, the life expectancy of people who reach the age of 65 is 40%, or six years, longer than it was in 1940 (4).

Should the age of eligibility be raised?

I think everyone can agree that it should be

If so, how much?

Id put it at ten years........ Minimum

Are there better ways to reform social security,

Probably

or does it not need reform at all?

Probably not
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 10:38:25 PM
At 8/21/2013 9:46:33 PM, imabench wrote:
At 8/21/2013 9:01:22 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Should the age of eligibility be raised?

I think everyone can agree that it should be

Not if you're old :p

If so, how much?

Id put it at ten years........ Minimum

Are there better ways to reform social security,

Probably

or does it not need reform at all?

Probably not
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...