Jump to topic:

Life as a young conservative

Jsimbana
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 8:40:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
More recently I've been hearing the following quote by Winston Churchill "Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains."

Does this mean its wrong to be young and a conservative? Or can it simply be we have come to our senses before many others? Besides I like to think I have a heart..
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 9:02:18 AM
It doesn't mean anything, it's a generalizing observation and not a sort of rule or anything.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 9:06:13 AM
It's just a meaningless generalization, I wouldn't worry about it.

Besides, I'm not sure where I learned this, but I think Churchill's most famous quotes were uttered while he was drunk.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 9:07:16 AM
At 8/25/2013 9:02:18 AM, lewis20 wrote:
It doesn't mean anything, it's a generalizing observation and not a sort of rule or anything.

Yeah I'd have to agree with this.

And a compassionate case can be made for a more libertarian, fiscally responsible government.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 9:11:25 AM
At 8/25/2013 9:06:13 AM, 000ike wrote:

Besides, I'm not sure where I learned this, but I think Churchill's most famous quotes were uttered while he was drunk.

To be fair drunken conversation makes for some of the most profound realizations.

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 4:36:29 PM

Curchill was just always drunk. He would drink a glass of sherry before breakfast, drink scotch at lunch, and just keep on keeping on. People commented that the sobriety with which he acted was almost as impressive as the quantity he consumed.

To OP: All young conservatives are dysfunctional and should promptly check-in to a reprogramming centre under the new Obamacare provisions.
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 5:27:46 PM
I'm a young conservative. I have a heart. For the people who can't help themselves. For my people. But most people can help themselves and choose not too. And many people aren't my people, so I could really care less.
Look at it this way, what I lack in heart, is made up for by my brains. I have a big brain. Besides, my brain will help people, my heart will not.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:10:45 PM
At 8/25/2013 5:27:46 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
I'm a young conservative. I have a heart. For the people who can't help themselves. For my people. But most people can help themselves and choose not too. And many people aren't my people, so I could really care less.
Look at it this way, what I lack in heart, is made up for by my brains. I have a big brain. Besides, my brain will help people, my heart will not.

Haha tell us more about your big brain you big boy.
Also I'd be curious to know who your people were, the Aryan race?

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 6:51:05 PM
At 8/25/2013 6:10:45 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Americans
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 7:15:57 PM
At 8/25/2013 4:36:29 PM, Raisor wrote:

Curchill was just always drunk. He would drink a glass of sherry before breakfast, drink scotch at lunch, and just keep on keeping on. People commented that the sobriety with which he acted was almost as impressive as the quantity he consumed.

To OP: All young conservatives are dysfunctional and should promptly check-in to a reprogramming centre under the new Obamacare provisions.

Please change your political stance, you are not a moderate. I can't respect people who put on their profile that they are moderate or apathetic when they clearly show a bias. Claiming to be a moderate to gain credibility is pretty low bud.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 7:43:52 PM
At 8/25/2013 7:15:57 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 8/25/2013 4:36:29 PM, Raisor wrote:

Please change your political stance, you are not a moderate. I can't respect people who put on their profile that they are moderate or apathetic when they clearly show a bias. Claiming to be a moderate to gain credibility is pretty low bud.

I thought that was a pretty moderate joke- poking fun at exaggerations about Obamacare while showing I think claims that young conservatives are dysfuntional is equally silly.

Anyways you know nothing about me. I have voted for both Republicans and Democrats, I have a great deal of respect for certain politicians on both side of the aisle. I don't know how you can be more of a moderate than that.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 7:48:01 PM
At 8/25/2013 9:11:25 AM, lewis20 wrote:

To be fair drunken conversation makes for some of the most profound realizations.

^ agreed
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 7:50:40 PM
At 8/25/2013 8:40:38 AM, Jsimbana wrote:
More recently I've been hearing the following quote by Winston Churchill "Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains."

Does this mean its wrong to be young and a conservative? Or can it simply be we have come to our senses before many others? Besides I like to think I have a heart..

I'm going to take "young" here to include all people under age 30.

I've known many young conservatives who were good people, who cared about others, and who did good things. I've known many fiercely intelligent old liberals. But, those words have a bit of a different meaning in the US and the UK...
leojm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 11:14:58 AM
I'm 21 year old strong Conservative. It's very difficult because Liberals are always talking at me, especially since my whole family are Liberal. I am on here to find people with the same beliefs as me and to get away from Liberals but it seems they are everywhere. I'm not saying anything bad about Liberals in fact I respect their beliefs. I'm just saying that I'm overwhelmed by all these attacks.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 11:17:57 AM
At 8/25/2013 7:48:01 PM, imabench wrote:

^ agreed
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 11:54:05 AM
At 8/26/2013 11:17:57 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 8/25/2013 7:48:01 PM, imabench wrote:

^ agreed
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2013 12:46:29 PM
At 8/25/2013 6:51:05 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
At 8/25/2013 6:10:45 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Americans

L.
O.
L.

nac
0x5f3759df