Jump to topic:

The Federal Reserve leaves the

johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 12:46:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The Federal Reserve today decided to keep its key rates unchanged at record-low levels.

The central bank did hint that it expects rates to move up -- but not anytime soon. The Fed doesn't want to do anything now to jeopardize the economic recovery that began in summer.

Stocks were higher and interest rates off slightly ahead of the decision, but the rally faded after the announcement.

The Fed's rate-making body, the Federal Open Market Committee, left the target for its key federal funds rate at zero to 0.25%.

Your thoughts?
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 12:49:01 PM
At 12/16/2009 12:46:24 PM, johngriswald wrote:
The Fed's rate-making body, the Federal Open Market Committee, left the target for its key federal funds rate at zero to 0.25%.

Your thoughts?

That is ridiculously low.

Do they want banks to lend or not to lend? They are sending mixed signals, they are making cheap credit and then paying banks not to lend. I don't get it.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 12:51:13 PM
The thing about this interest rate is that savings can not earn any more than it and loans cannot be less than it for simple market forces. The only thing keeping this interest rate will do is maintain the bubble. The moment it is risen, the economy will crash again.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 12:51:55 PM
It's also pretty dumb to have an interest rate lower than the inflation rate.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 12:53:05 PM
At 12/16/2009 12:49:01 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Your thoughts?

Do they want banks to lend or not to lend? They are sending mixed signals, they are making cheap credit and then paying banks not to lend. I don't get it.

Apparently you fail to understand what the "interest rate is"

It's the rate that the Fed charges to Banks, not the rate Banks charge to consumers.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 12:54:07 PM
At 12/16/2009 12:51:55 PM, wjmelements wrote:

OLR =/= Interest rate.

Interest Rate = Inflation rate + OLR + Profit % from banks

ddofans.com
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 12:55:43 PM
At 12/16/2009 12:54:07 PM, johngriswald wrote:

OLR =/= Interest rate.

So that number factors in interest rate? You're saying that What the Fed really charges is (assuming 4.00% inflation) is 4.25%?
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 12:58:39 PM
At 12/16/2009 12:55:43 PM, wjmelements wrote:

OLR =/= Interest rate.

So that number factors in interest rate? You're saying that What the Fed really charges is (assuming 4.00% inflation) is 4.25%?

No.

This is how the banking system works.

Banks don't have trillions in their vaults.

Thus when a person needs a loan they borrow from the Federal Reserve.

That federal reserve charges a fee for their loan called the Overnight Lending Rate.

That is what the fed changes. That gets passed onto the consumer.

The bank determines the interest rate they loan by a simple equation

Interest Rate = Overnight Lending Rate + Inflation Rate + Profit on the loan.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 12:59:23 PM
At 12/16/2009 12:58:39 PM, johngriswald wrote:
Thus when a bank needs a loan they borrow from the Federal Reserve.

Made an error. my bad

ddofans.com
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:00:15 PM
At 12/16/2009 12:58:39 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/16/2009 12:55:43 PM, wjmelements wrote:

OLR =/= Interest rate.

No.

Contradicting yourself. You just said that what the fed is charging for interest also includes inflation.

This is how the banking system works.

Banks don't have trillions in their vaults.

Thus when a person needs a loan they borrow from the Federal Reserve.

That federal reserve charges a fee for their loan called the Overnight Lending Rate.

That is what the fed changes. That gets passed onto the consumer.

The bank determines the interest rate they loan by a simple equation

Interest Rate = Overnight Lending Rate + Inflation Rate + Profit on the loan.

I know how the banking system works. You don't have to explain it to me. Stop assuming you're the only one that understands the federal reserve system.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:01:48 PM
At 12/16/2009 1:00:15 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Contradicting yourself. You just said that what the fed is charging for interest also includes inflation.

No, I said that's what the banks do.

I know how the banking system works. You don't have to explain it to me. Stop assuming you're the only one that understands the federal reserve system.

Well if you know how it works, then simply ignore my explanation and allow others who do not know to profit from it.

ddofans.com
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:04:41 PM
At 12/16/2009 1:01:48 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/16/2009 1:00:15 PM, wjmelements wrote:

No, I said that's what the banks do.

: At 12/16/2009 12:54:07 PM, johngriswald wrote:

OLR =/= Interest rate.

Say what? You specificially replaied to my post saying that the federal reserve shouldn't charge an interest rate lower than the inflation rate by stating that the reserve rate included interest rate.

Well if you know how it works, then simply ignore my explanation and allow others who do not know to profit from it.

Then don't imply that I don't know it by posting it in a reply to me.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:16:10 PM
At 12/16/2009 1:04:41 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Say what? You specificially replied to my post saying that the federal reserve shouldn't charge an interest rate lower than the inflation rate by stating that the reserve rate included interest rate.

Yes I did reply to your post. Mainly explaining that the banks themselves factor in the interest rate. Why? Because its the banks that have the long term loans, not the federal reserve. The federal reserve itself doesn't really care about the inflation rate mainly because the federal reserve is simply using the OLR as a tool to increase liquidity in the market. By lowering the OLR past inflation, it's giving banks an incentive to lower their rates thus increasing borrowing and increasing spending.

Then don't imply that I don't know it by posting it in a reply to me.
Then don't imply that the Federal Reserve cares about losing money to inflation.

ddofans.com
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:20:34 PM
At 12/16/2009 1:16:10 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/16/2009 1:04:41 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Say what? You specificially replied to my post saying that the federal reserve shouldn't charge an interest rate lower than the inflation rate by stating that the reserve rate included interest rate.
Blah off-topic about banks. Not talking about banks.

The federal reserve itself doesn't really care about the inflation rate mainly because the federal reserve is simply using the OLR as a tool to increase liquidity in the market. By lowering the OLR past inflation, it's giving banks an incentive to lower their rates thus increasing borrowing and increasing spending.

The federal reserve then is basically charging a negative interest rate (after inflation).
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:22:29 PM
At 12/16/2009 1:20:34 PM, wjmelements wrote:

The federal reserve then is basically charging a negative interest rate (after inflation).

And what's wrong with that?

ddofans.com
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:24:30 PM
At 12/16/2009 1:22:29 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/16/2009 1:20:34 PM, wjmelements wrote:

And what's wrong with that?

It's just asking for hyperinflation.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:25:40 PM
At 12/16/2009 1:24:30 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Sorry, talk to me about hyperinflation when the consumers start spending and we're not scared about deflation.

ddofans.com
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:29:11 PM
At 12/16/2009 12:53:05 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/16/2009 12:49:01 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Your thoughts?

Apparently you fail to understand what the "interest rate is"

It's the rate that the Fed charges to Banks, not the rate Banks charge to consumers.

A low federal funds rate encourages more lending. A higher rate encourages less lending. This is because the bank can borrow money more cheaply.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:29:41 PM
At 12/16/2009 1:25:40 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/16/2009 1:24:30 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Sorry, talk to me about hyperinflation when the consumers start spending and we're not scared about deflation.

Then you're just interested in creating another bubble.

Worse, if hyperinflation does occur in the middle of this recession, interest rates will have to shoot up and the market will fail.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:32:51 PM
At 12/16/2009 1:29:41 PM, wjmelements wrote:
If I was advocating keeping that rate at rock bottom for 10 years such as our brilliant past Fed-Reserve chairman did, then yes.

However I'm only for keeping it low until consumer spending begins to pick up, then upping it so that our GDP makes very modest gains for the next 10 years.

Worse, if hyperinflation does occur in the middle of this recession, interest rates will have to shoot up and the market will fail.
Stagflation is what you are referring to, however it's extremely doubtful that will happen as a turnaround is already being seen and inflation is still extremely low. When our dollar is cheap, then there is an incentive for countries abroad to buy goods made in the US.

ddofans.com
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 1:42:10 PM
At 12/16/2009 1:32:51 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/16/2009 1:29:41 PM, wjmelements wrote:
If I was advocating keeping that rate at rock bottom for 10 years such as our brilliant past Fed-Reserve chairman did, then yes.

However I'm only for keeping it low until consumer spending begins to pick up, then upping it so that our GDP makes very modest gains for the next 10 years.

All loans made under this low interest rate will become unprofitable.

Stagflation is what you are referring to, however it's extremely doubtful that will happen as a turnaround is already being seen and inflation is still extremely low. When our dollar is cheap, then there is an incentive for countries abroad to buy goods made in the US.

Inflation itself necessarily only causes capital loss on all individuals holding the dollar. This gives them incentive to trade it, and the value goes down. When the dollars are finally traded into america, the capital loss occurs there instead.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 9:52:25 PM
At 12/16/2009 1:42:10 PM, wjmelements wrote:
All loans made under this low interest rate will become unprofitable.

For banks? or for the federal reserve? I'd love some expansion on this.

Inflation itself necessarily only causes capital loss on all individuals holding the dollar. This gives them incentive to trade it

Trade it meaning trade it for goods? Yes it does this, which essentially allows the savings rate to be 0. Which is great for the economy.

When the dollars are finally traded into america, the capital loss occurs there instead.

???

ddofans.com
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 9:55:59 PM
At 12/16/2009 9:52:25 PM, johngriswald wrote:
Inflation itself necessarily only causes capital loss on all individuals holding the dollar. This gives them incentive to trade it

Trade it meaning trade it for goods? Yes it does this, which essentially allows the savings rate to be 0. Which is great for the economy.

No savings is great for the economy?
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 10:23:25 PM
At 12/16/2009 9:55:59 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 12/16/2009 9:52:25 PM, johngriswald wrote:

Long term its absolutely great and that's why I don't advise keeping the interest rate low, long term, but not when you're in a recession and have a fragile economy, no savings is not good.

ddofans.com
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 10:26:26 PM
At 12/16/2009 10:23:25 PM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/16/2009 9:55:59 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Long term its absolutely great

I read short term and I thought, "Oh, just another Keynesian...."
And then I saw what really was there.
And I loll'ed.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?