Jump to topic:

Centrists only.

SitaraPorDios
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:53:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What annoys you the most about the liberal versus conservative debate? The mutual corruption is what gets me.
Jesus is the only way to be saved.
http://www.biblegateway.com...
Liberalism is the superior philosophy.
If you are going to talk dirty to me, say it in Spanish.
I will respect you if you respect me. Otherwise, no.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 11:06:11 PM
At 8/27/2013 7:53:21 PM, SitaraPorDios wrote:
What annoys you the most about the liberal versus conservative debate? The mutual corruption is what gets me.

The belief that being a moderate equates to not having passion or having of a wishy washy stance.

The reality is that moderates have the independent intelligence to understand how to take the best from both parties and throw out the rhetoric and other trash.

IE: A centrist understands the private health care system of employee provided heath care is not a competitive market at the consumer level and thus filled with inefficiency. Both the parties will not touch that portion of the health care system while fully knowing it is broken.
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 7:21:35 AM
At 8/27/2013 11:06:11 PM, slo1 wrote:

The belief that being a moderate equates to not having passion or having of a wishy washy stance.

The reality is that moderates have the independent intelligence to understand how to take the best from both parties and throw out the rhetoric and other trash.

IE: A centrist understands the private health care system of employee provided heath care is not a competitive market at the consumer level and thus filled with inefficiency. Both the parties will not touch that portion of the health care system while fully knowing it is broken.

Wow. Good comment.

I thought this would be a joke topic, but this is a very serious point.

[Can I be included in the centrist club as a "progressive libertarian (prog-lib)?" :)]

For me extreme ideas are sometimes useful for moving the discussion forward, but then--especially in a democracy--we have to work to bring them to something that the majority can agree with or they won't go forward. And sometimes the extreme is part of the constitution--thus we're a constitutional democracy, not a mob rule democracy.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 9:05:27 AM
At 8/28/2013 7:21:35 AM, proglib wrote:

Wow. Good comment.

[Can I be included in the centrist club as a "progressive libertarian (prog-lib)?" :)]

For me extreme ideas are sometimes useful for moving the discussion forward, but then--especially in a democracy--we have to work to bring them to something that the majority can agree with or they won't go forward. And sometimes the extreme is part of the constitution--thus we're a constitutional democracy, not a mob rule democracy.

I see progressive libertarian-ism as a very centrist stance. A belief in open markets as a tool to distribute goods and services the the most people, yet government has a role in enforcing and maintaining open markets.

Just because an idea is centrist does not mean it is not an extreme idea. The idea of eliminating employer provided group insurance and moving exclusively to individual insurance policies is a very extreme stance. It is centrist though because it allows for a proper balance of open markets and government oversight to produce the best possible most efficient market.

I agree on your comment about about extreme ideas and moving discussions forward. I would not classify the Repubs and Democrats of having many extreme ideas though. Their foreign policies are practically the same. Fiscal policy has very few major differences when you measure net affect. The largest differences are social areas such as abortion, gay marriage, etc.

Leave it to a centrist to recommend eliminating the mortgage interest deduction as an unfair deduction that is biased towards well off home owners at the detriment of those who rent. Neither party would touch that.

In this day and age centrism is extreme and unfortunately lacking of support, in part because of the incorrect biases and beliefs towards centrists and moderates.
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:47:11 AM
At 8/28/2013 9:05:27 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/28/2013 7:21:35 AM, proglib wrote:

Wow. Good comment.

I see progressive libertarian-ism as a very centrist stance. A belief in open markets as a tool to distribute goods and services the the most people, yet government has a role in enforcing and maintaining open markets.

Just because an idea is centrist does not mean it is not an extreme idea. The idea of eliminating employer provided group insurance and moving exclusively to individual insurance policies is a very extreme stance. It is centrist though because it allows for a proper balance of open markets and government oversight to produce the best possible most efficient market.

I agree on your comment about about extreme ideas and moving discussions forward. I would not classify the Repubs and Democrats of having many extreme ideas though. Their foreign policies are practically the same. Fiscal policy has very few major differences when you measure net affect. The largest differences are social areas such as abortion, gay marriage, etc.

Leave it to a centrist to recommend eliminating the mortgage interest deduction as an unfair deduction that is biased towards well off home owners at the detriment of those who rent. Neither party would touch that.

In this day and age centrism is extreme and unfortunately lacking of support, in part because of the incorrect biases and beliefs towards centrists and moderates.

Wow! Again.

Centrists seem to be pretty smart :D...

I guess I don't have to worry about "conservatives" seeing this and being offended, right?

I don't have time (or extra brain cells today) to try to make this funnier. [Or to spell it out, in case a rare "TEA Party conservative" checks out this topic. XD They mostly like to agree with each other a lot and enjoy their "echo chambers." ]
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 12:02:20 PM
At 8/29/2013 11:47:50 AM, TheHitchslap wrote:
HURAY!

Lets celebrate the idea of NOT taking stances!!!!

WHOOO! LETS DO NOTHING GUYS!

You..... a centrist?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 12:06:31 PM
At 8/29/2013 12:02:20 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
HURAY!

You..... a centrist?

I use to be a centrist
Not anymore though.
Thank you for voting!
LevelWithMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 2:46:13 PM
HURAY!

You're looking for the Apolitical Only thread.