Jump to topic:

Question to those against the death penalty

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:47:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have a question to those against the death penalty. Do you believe that people who have committed terrorism like Tsarnaev, Nidal Hassan, etc. should receive the death penalty? If not, what would you recommend?

NOTE: I am generally against the death penalty, but do reserve it for severe cases such as these.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:54:07 PM
At 8/28/2013 4:47:55 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
I have a question to those against the death penalty. Do you believe that people who have committed terrorism like Tsarnaev, Nidal Hassan, etc. should receive the death penalty?

No.

If not, what would you recommend?

Life imprisonment w/out the possibility of parole.

NOTE: I am generally against the death penalty, but do reserve it for severe cases such as these.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:55:21 PM
At 8/28/2013 4:54:07 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
I have a question to those against the death penalty. Do you believe that people who have committed terrorism like Tsarnaev, Nidal Hassan, etc. should receive the death penalty?

No.

So Osama bin Laden and Hitler should have gotten life w/o parole?
The Great Wall of Fail

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:56:06 PM
Doesn't Nidal Hasan want the death penalty?
You'd give a terrorist what they wanted? You're on their side aren't you? You love the terrorists, get out of this country you murica hater.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:56:47 PM
At 8/28/2013 4:55:21 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:

No.

They were never interrogated nor did they have any opportunity to be put on trial. That is a moot question.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:57:24 PM
At 8/28/2013 4:56:47 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:

No.

They were never interrogated nor did they have any opportunity to be put on trial. That is a moot question.

True but if they were and found guilty...
The Great Wall of Fail

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:58:11 PM

No.

Be honest a life in solitary confinement in prison would be worse than dying.

emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:59:12 PM
At 8/28/2013 4:57:24 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 8/28/2013 4:56:47 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:

No.

True but if they were and found guilty...

Still no.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 4:59:25 PM
Also any time the death penalty is brought up I'm obligated to share the Onions take on the subject, which is less strictly Constitutional and more strictly badass.

emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:01:18 PM
Lol, this feels like a Libertarian orgy.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:05:24 PM
I have a question to those against the death penalty. Do you believe that people who have committed terrorism like Tsarnaev, Nidal Hassan, etc. should receive the death penalty? If not, what would you recommend?

I mean, life imprisonment is far worse punishment han just ending it
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:09:33 PM
Can we please get a Non-Libertarian to post here?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:11:01 PM
At 8/28/2013 5:09:33 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:

Like one of those many Christian Conservatives against the death penalty?

emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:14:54 PM
At 8/28/2013 5:11:01 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 8/28/2013 5:09:33 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:

Like one of those many Christian Conservatives against the death penalty?

No, just a Non-Libertarian. In other words, a heathen, a person who is conceded, closed-minded and has absolutely no respect for the well-being of the people, the Non-Aggression principle, the U.S. Constitution, or even a shred of respect for themselves. All Non-Libertarians need to GTFO, but I want one to post here, nevertheless.
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:19:13 PM
Too much? No, of course not..... Disagree? GTFO....
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:25:50 PM

I support the death penalty only for incidences of treason, and none others. I'm not saying this is the absolutely right way to think about this, but it's how I think about it:

If we accept that the United States is a country founded on the rights of individuals, and that only from individuals consent can a state be legitimate, then we imply that the individual is prior to the state -such to say that the state cannot justifiably violate individual rights without a compelling reason. And yet, the state is necessary for order among individuals -and being necessary entails the state with certain responsibilities to maintain societal functioning. Treason in a democracy is bot only the betraying of the government of a country, but beyond that, it is an act of betrayal of the people of a country as a whole -such that not only is treason antagonistic to a state's functioning and maintaining social order, but it is also at the expense of the people governed by that state. No other crime has that impact -that is, no other crime is at once at the expense of both a state and its people, so I would argue for the death penalty in no other case because crimes against people or governments -however bad- are only against governments or people, and not against the rights those governments are instituted to protect.

Treson against the United Sense means that he who commits treason sees it fit to wage war against the values, ideals and principles set forward in our founding documents, the government which is purposed to protect those rights which stem from those principles, and the people who hold those rights in a single act. I can think of no act worse, more unforgivable among men in this world. So, while executing a traitor is very much a punitive act insomuch it is retribution for betraying a country, all of its parts and all of what it stands for -it is also an imminent and symbolic defense of all of those things that a traitor wars against. That is not to say, even, that all traitors should be executed every time -because the highest affirmation of strength is the capacity to show mercy (meaning, the ability to from a position of strength allow an enemy to live) -but execution must be possible for that to be the case in dealing with traitors.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:35:04 PM
At 8/28/2013 5:25:50 PM, YYW wrote:

I support the death penalty only for incidences of treason, and none others. I'm not saying this is the absolutely right way to think about this, but it's how I think about it:

If we accept that the United States is a country founded on the rights of individuals, and that only from individuals consent can a state be legitimate, then we imply that the individual is prior to the state -such to say that the state cannot justifiably violate individual rights without a compelling reason. And yet, the state is necessary for order among individuals -and being necessary entails the state with certain responsibilities to maintain societal functioning. Treason in a democracy is bot only the betraying of the government of a country, but beyond that, it is an act of betrayal of the people of a country as a whole -such that not only is treason antagonistic to a state's functioning and maintaining social order, but it is also at the expense of the people governed by that state. No other crime has that impact -that is, no other crime is at once at the expense of both a state and its people, so I would argue for the death penalty in no other case because crimes against people or governments -however bad- are only against governments or people, and not against the rights those governments are instituted to protect.

Treson against the United Sense means that he who commits treason sees it fit to wage war against the values, ideals and principles set forward in our founding documents, the government which is purposed to protect those rights which stem from those principles, and the people who hold those rights in a single act. I can think of no act worse, more unforgivable among men in this world. So, while executing a traitor is very much a punitive act insomuch it is retribution for betraying a country, all of its parts and all of what it stands for -it is also an imminent and symbolic defense of all of those things that a traitor wars against. That is not to say, even, that all traitors should be executed every time -because the highest affirmation of strength is the capacity to show mercy (meaning, the ability to from a position of strength allow an enemy to live) -but execution must be possible for that to be the case in dealing with traitors.

Oh my jesus,....please don't go into government. I'm begging you. Stay away.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:39:09 PM
At 8/28/2013 5:35:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/28/2013 5:25:50 PM, YYW wrote:

: Oh my jesus,....please don't go into government. I'm begging you. Stay away.
The Great Wall of Fail

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:39:47 PM

Why is terrorism so bad to warrant the death penalty, but a serial rapist/torturer/killer is not?
My work here is, finally, done.
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:40:18 PM
At 8/28/2013 5:39:47 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Why is terrorism so bad to warrant the death penalty, but a serial rapist/torturer/killer is not?

I agree, they should get the death penalty.
The Great Wall of Fail

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:40:47 PM
lol... Why do either of you not want me in the government? Was there anything about my argument that surprised you?
Tsar of DDO
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:44:38 PM

No, as it is pointlessly costly if we are to maintain rule of law objectively and equally. Moreover, the possibility for redemption and making these people productive members of society is still possible, no matter what they do, as it is the intention that we are trying to change (and it is undeniable that even those with the most radical opinions can become moral exemplars).
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:49:28 PM
Funny enough, as far as my moral intuition is concerned, I find retribution immoral in every sense of the word - reciprocation of suffering for suffering's sake - the release of man's most ignoble emotion: wrath. If we do keep the death penalty let it serve the purposes of deterrence and the protection of the welfare of others.

To kill for treason - no matter what logical meanderings may allow you to equate the crime with mass murder - is barbaric.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:54:21 PM
At 8/28/2013 5:49:28 PM, 000ike wrote:
To kill for treason - no matter what logical meanderings may allow you to equate the crime with mass murder - is barbaric.

I never equated treason to mass murder; nor would I support the death penalty for a mass murderer.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:54:41 PM
At 8/28/2013 5:40:47 PM, YYW wrote:
lol... Why do either of you not want me in the government? Was there anything about my argument that surprised you?

The psychology behind your reasoning evinces a certain ruthlessness I find dangerous in offices of power. Moreover, you see no problem with retributive justice, which by now should be shunned for the barbaric method of retaliation that it is.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:56:21 PM
Funny enough, as far as my moral intuition is concerned, I find retribution immoral in every sense of the word - reciprocation of suffering for suffering's sake - the release of man's most ignoble emotion: wrath. If we do keep the death penalty let it serve the purposes of deterrence and the protection of the welfare of others.

ike, should a clearly one-shot criminal be set free, then?
Like, let's say an otherwise upstanding and law abiding citizen (not even a parking ticket) comes home and kills his wife and her lover, that he found in their bed.

Clearly, this person isn't going to commit a future crime, and definitely not the same kind (as opposed to a serial rapist), so, why punish him?
What is the point of locking him up?
My work here is, finally, done.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:56:30 PM
At 8/28/2013 5:54:21 PM, YYW wrote:

I never equated treason to mass murder; nor would I support the death penalty for a mass murderer.

So you're suggesting that treason is a higher crime than mass murder. Why?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:56:49 PM
At 8/28/2013 5:54:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/28/2013 5:40:47 PM, YYW wrote:

The psychology behind your reasoning evinces a certain ruthlessness I find dangerous in offices of power. Moreover, you see no problem with retributive justice, which by now should be shunned for the barbaric method of retaliation that it is.

The psychology behind my reasoning? Oh, this I must hear more about.

And on retributive justice, I spoke of retributive justice only for traitors -not retributive justice generally, as you seem to have indicated.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:57:52 PM
At 8/28/2013 5:56:30 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/28/2013 5:54:21 PM, YYW wrote:

So you're suggesting that treason is a higher crime than mass murder. Why?

I'm not saying it's a higher, lower or equal crime. I'm not comparing the two in any way. I'm saying, in fact, that treason and mass murder cannot be compared -or at least that would be an implication of my earlier post.
Tsar of DDO
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 6:07:13 PM

They'd make better slaves and science experiments. That would also give them a reasonable potential to be beneficial to the societies they mistreated for a longer period of time.
I've seen movies where they suggest that prisoners on death row fight to the death in some fashion and the last one standing goes free.
I'd much rather all of them be used as a "high risk deterrent" when it comes to humanities medical advancement and dangerous labor efforts. That would be much more beneficial than allowing them a quick death.