Total Posts:39|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Gay Couples Don"t Deserve To Marry...

DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 9:26:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Pennsylvania: Gay Couples Don"t Deserve To Marry Because They"re Just Like 12-Year-Old Children

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania continues to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples " over 150 so far " but the state Department of Health is now arguing that it"s no different than giving marriage licenses to children. The Department is suing to stop the marriages, and its latest brief suggests that gay and lesbian couples are disqualified from marrying just like 12-year-olds, as reported by Philly.com:
The state filed a brief Wednesday opposing the couples" participation, arguing that their marriage licenses hold no "actual value or legitimacy" and thus have no right to be defended in court.

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his "license"?" the state wrote.

The state leaves out one key distinction between adult same-sex couples and 12-year-olds: the ability to consent. Indeed, though both groups are prohibited from marrying under state law, the comparison stops there. The only distinction between same-sex couples from opposite-sex couples is their gender, because they are otherwise raising children and engaging in communities just like other families. With this comparison, Pennsylvania is acknowledging that gays and lesbians should be discriminated against simply because of their sexual orientation.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org...
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 9:31:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:26:09 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Pennsylvania: Gay Couples Don"t Deserve To Marry Because They"re Just Like 12-Year-Old Children

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania continues to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples " over 150 so far " but the state Department of Health is now arguing that it"s no different than giving marriage licenses to children. The Department is suing to stop the marriages, and its latest brief suggests that gay and lesbian couples are disqualified from marrying just like 12-year-olds, as reported by Philly.com:
The state filed a brief Wednesday opposing the couples" participation, arguing that their marriage licenses hold no "actual value or legitimacy" and thus have no right to be defended in court.

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his "license"?" the state wrote.

The state leaves out one key distinction between adult same-sex couples and 12-year-olds: the ability to consent. Indeed, though both groups are prohibited from marrying under state law, the comparison stops there. The only distinction between same-sex couples from opposite-sex couples is their gender, because they are otherwise raising children and engaging in communities just like other families. With this comparison, Pennsylvania is acknowledging that gays and lesbians should be discriminated against simply because of their sexual orientation.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org...

Well all I'm going to say is I'm against gay marriage.
Yes I also agree with you on your point. XD
also never had anybody put it that way, very interesting.
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 9:33:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Gay marriage is just wrong over all. If God wanted gay marriage he would have made Adam and Adam, or Eve and Eve. Now that does not make any sense what so ever. It's also sickening.
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 9:34:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:31:38 AM, leojm wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:26:09 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Pennsylvania: Gay Couples Don"t Deserve To Marry Because They"re Just Like 12-Year-Old Children

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania continues to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples " over 150 so far " but the state Department of Health is now arguing that it"s no different than giving marriage licenses to children. The Department is suing to stop the marriages, and its latest brief suggests that gay and lesbian couples are disqualified from marrying just like 12-year-olds, as reported by Philly.com:
The state filed a brief Wednesday opposing the couples" participation, arguing that their marriage licenses hold no "actual value or legitimacy" and thus have no right to be defended in court.

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his "license"?" the state wrote.

The state leaves out one key distinction between adult same-sex couples and 12-year-olds: the ability to consent. Indeed, though both groups are prohibited from marrying under state law, the comparison stops there. The only distinction between same-sex couples from opposite-sex couples is their gender, because they are otherwise raising children and engaging in communities just like other families. With this comparison, Pennsylvania is acknowledging that gays and lesbians should be discriminated against simply because of their sexual orientation.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org...

Well all I'm going to say is I'm against gay marriage.
Yes I also agree with you on your point. XD
also never had anybody put it that way, very interesting.

LOL. I'm gay and am a staunch supporter of gay marriage. My point was that the PADoH is wrong. #Facepalm
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 9:38:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:34:15 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:31:38 AM, leojm wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:26:09 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Pennsylvania: Gay Couples Don"t Deserve To Marry Because They"re Just Like 12-Year-Old Children

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania continues to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples " over 150 so far " but the state Department of Health is now arguing that it"s no different than giving marriage licenses to children. The Department is suing to stop the marriages, and its latest brief suggests that gay and lesbian couples are disqualified from marrying just like 12-year-olds, as reported by Philly.com:
The state filed a brief Wednesday opposing the couples" participation, arguing that their marriage licenses hold no "actual value or legitimacy" and thus have no right to be defended in court.

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his "license"?" the state wrote.

The state leaves out one key distinction between adult same-sex couples and 12-year-olds: the ability to consent. Indeed, though both groups are prohibited from marrying under state law, the comparison stops there. The only distinction between same-sex couples from opposite-sex couples is their gender, because they are otherwise raising children and engaging in communities just like other families. With this comparison, Pennsylvania is acknowledging that gays and lesbians should be discriminated against simply because of their sexual orientation.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org...

Well all I'm going to say is I'm against gay marriage.
Yes I also agree with you on your point. XD
also never had anybody put it that way, very interesting.

LOL. I'm gay and am a staunch supporter of gay marriage. My point was that the PADoH is wrong. #Facepalm

Scratch What I said. Wow I'm soo tired, I can't see strait. Wow, I stayed up way too long last night. Sorry, Scratch everything. *tries to clear eyes* Wow. I'm so sorry. wooo. Ok I think I can see now, fully awake now. Wow, this is just bad, I need to sleep more.
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 9:39:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:38:21 AM, leojm wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:34:15 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:31:38 AM, leojm wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:26:09 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Pennsylvania: Gay Couples Don"t Deserve To Marry Because They"re Just Like 12-Year-Old Children

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania continues to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples " over 150 so far " but the state Department of Health is now arguing that it"s no different than giving marriage licenses to children. The Department is suing to stop the marriages, and its latest brief suggests that gay and lesbian couples are disqualified from marrying just like 12-year-olds, as reported by Philly.com:
The state filed a brief Wednesday opposing the couples" participation, arguing that their marriage licenses hold no "actual value or legitimacy" and thus have no right to be defended in court.

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his "license"?" the state wrote.

The state leaves out one key distinction between adult same-sex couples and 12-year-olds: the ability to consent. Indeed, though both groups are prohibited from marrying under state law, the comparison stops there. The only distinction between same-sex couples from opposite-sex couples is their gender, because they are otherwise raising children and engaging in communities just like other families. With this comparison, Pennsylvania is acknowledging that gays and lesbians should be discriminated against simply because of their sexual orientation.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org...

Well all I'm going to say is I'm against gay marriage.
Yes I also agree with you on your point. XD
also never had anybody put it that way, very interesting.

LOL. I'm gay and am a staunch supporter of gay marriage. My point was that the PADoH is wrong. #Facepalm

Scratch What I said. Wow I'm soo tired, I can't see strait. Wow, I stayed up way too long last night. Sorry, Scratch everything. *tries to clear eyes* Wow. I'm so sorry. wooo. Ok I think I can see now, fully awake now. Wow, this is just bad, I need to sleep more.

LOL I'd say. Go to sleep, don't want you to hallucinate.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 9:40:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The government should not be involved in marriage period.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 9:40:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:39:00 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:38:21 AM, leojm wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:34:15 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:31:38 AM, leojm wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:26:09 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Pennsylvania: Gay Couples Don"t Deserve To Marry Because They"re Just Like 12-Year-Old Children

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania continues to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples " over 150 so far " but the state Department of Health is now arguing that it"s no different than giving marriage licenses to children. The Department is suing to stop the marriages, and its latest brief suggests that gay and lesbian couples are disqualified from marrying just like 12-year-olds, as reported by Philly.com:
The state filed a brief Wednesday opposing the couples" participation, arguing that their marriage licenses hold no "actual value or legitimacy" and thus have no right to be defended in court.

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his "license"?" the state wrote.

The state leaves out one key distinction between adult same-sex couples and 12-year-olds: the ability to consent. Indeed, though both groups are prohibited from marrying under state law, the comparison stops there. The only distinction between same-sex couples from opposite-sex couples is their gender, because they are otherwise raising children and engaging in communities just like other families. With this comparison, Pennsylvania is acknowledging that gays and lesbians should be discriminated against simply because of their sexual orientation.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org...

Well all I'm going to say is I'm against gay marriage.
Yes I also agree with you on your point. XD
also never had anybody put it that way, very interesting.

LOL. I'm gay and am a staunch supporter of gay marriage. My point was that the PADoH is wrong. #Facepalm

Scratch What I said. Wow I'm soo tired, I can't see strait. Wow, I stayed up way too long last night. Sorry, Scratch everything. *tries to clear eyes* Wow. I'm so sorry. wooo. Ok I think I can see now, fully awake now. Wow, this is just bad, I need to sleep more.

LOL I'd say. Go to sleep, don't want you to hallucinate.

No that's not going to be so good. I've done that before. It was really bad. Wooo, this is crazy. I only got 3 hours of sleep last night. I'm really sorry, sorry for being so apalegetic. <--- Spelled wrong. lol
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 9:41:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:40:13 AM, DanT wrote:
The government should not be involved in marriage period.

this I agree with
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:01:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:33:54 AM, leojm wrote:
Gay marriage is just wrong over all. If God wanted gay marriage he would have made Adam and Adam, or Eve and Eve. Now that does not make any sense what so ever. It's also sickening.

That's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:03:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 10:01:25 AM, imabench wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:33:54 AM, leojm wrote:
Gay marriage is just wrong over all. If God wanted gay marriage he would have made Adam and Adam, or Eve and Eve. Now that does not make any sense what so ever. It's also sickening.

That's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard....

Advice: use another word than retarded. (It's what 12 year old say, and it's overrated)
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:36:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:26:09 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Pennsylvania: Gay Couples Don"t Deserve To Marry Because They"re Just Like 12-Year-Old Children

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania continues to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples " over 150 so far " but the state Department of Health is now arguing that it"s no different than giving marriage licenses to children. The Department is suing to stop the marriages, and its latest brief suggests that gay and lesbian couples are disqualified from marrying just like 12-year-olds, as reported by Philly.com:
The state filed a brief Wednesday opposing the couples" participation, arguing that their marriage licenses hold no "actual value or legitimacy" and thus have no right to be defended in court.

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his "license"?" the state wrote.

The state leaves out one key distinction between adult same-sex couples and 12-year-olds: the ability to consent. Indeed, though both groups are prohibited from marrying under state law, the comparison stops there. The only distinction between same-sex couples from opposite-sex couples is their gender, because they are otherwise raising children and engaging in communities just like other families. With this comparison, Pennsylvania is acknowledging that gays and lesbians should be discriminated against simply because of their sexual orientation.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org...

First, what are homosexuals consenting to?? They're consenting to love and have sex with their friend. Ok, so what?? That isn't what marriage is, nor is it why the state recognizes marriage in the first place. Natural marriage isn't recognized because a man and woman love each other, the state couldn't care less about love. Natural marriage is recognized by the state because it produces children, and legally attaches those parents to the children. When biological parents stay married and care for their own kids, the government is not stuck with the burden of expending taxpayer money on caring for them. Being raised by their biological parents is also best for the kids. That is why the state favors natural marriage.

As for homosexuals who have children, not a single one of them had that child as the result of a monogamous homosexual relationship, which is kinda, ya know, what marriage is supposed to be. They brought kids into the world knowing that the marriage issue isn't settled, and they did so as an excuse to try and force the issue, and validate their relationship. That is their own fault, and proves that their sexual desires are more important than what's in the best interest of their own children.

For all intent and purpose, a homosexual relationship is more like a marriage of 8 year olds. It's sterile in 100% of cases, and has nothing to do with the state's reason and interest in marriage, in the first place, so PA is justified in its challenge.
proglib
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:56:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 10:03:12 AM, leojm wrote:
At 8/29/2013 10:01:25 AM, imabench wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:33:54 AM, leojm wrote:
Gay marriage is just wrong over all. If God wanted gay marriage he would have made Adam and Adam, or Eve and Eve. Now that does not make any sense what so ever. It's also sickening.

That's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard....

Advice: use another word than retarded. (It's what 12 year old say, and it's overrated)

Exactly!

The word retarded reminds me of the abbreviation "PHP"--it has a self referring quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

And since you've already agreed that it was not the smartest thing you've said recently, it is doubly stupid to refer to you comment as "retarded."

I will say, however, that the obvious retort--one that clearly has occurred to you already--is that if God created Adam and Eve, god also created Adam and Steve, Madam and Eve, ... :)

Cheers
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
leojm
Posts: 1,825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:57:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 10:56:13 AM, proglib wrote:
At 8/29/2013 10:03:12 AM, leojm wrote:
At 8/29/2013 10:01:25 AM, imabench wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:33:54 AM, leojm wrote:
Gay marriage is just wrong over all. If God wanted gay marriage he would have made Adam and Adam, or Eve and Eve. Now that does not make any sense what so ever. It's also sickening.

That's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard....

Advice: use another word than retarded. (It's what 12 year old say, and it's overrated)

Exactly!

The word retarded reminds me of the abbreviation "PHP"--it has a self referring quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

And since you've already agreed that it was not the smartest thing you've said recently, it is doubly stupid to refer to you comment as "retarded."

I will say, however, that the obvious retort--one that clearly has occurred to you already--is that if God created Adam and Eve, god also created Adam and Steve, Madam and Eve, ... :)

Cheers

How fantastic. :)
proglib
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:58:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:40:13 AM, DanT wrote:
The government should not be involved in marriage period.

Perhaps in a better world.

However, if government is involved in contracts, marriage might be as appropriate as many other contracts for the govt to regulate.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 11:21:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 10:58:10 AM, proglib wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:40:13 AM, DanT wrote:
The government should not be involved in marriage period.

Perhaps in a better world.

However, if government is involved in contracts, marriage might be as appropriate as many other contracts for the govt to regulate.

But marriage is a spiritual contract not a legal contract.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Mysterious_Stranger
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 11:27:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 11:21:45 AM, DanT wrote:
At 8/29/2013 10:58:10 AM, proglib wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:40:13 AM, DanT wrote:
The government should not be involved in marriage period.

Perhaps in a better world.

However, if government is involved in contracts, marriage might be as appropriate as many other contracts for the govt to regulate.

But marriage is a spiritual contract not a legal contract.

Not in today's society it isn't.
Turn around, go back.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 11:37:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 11:27:12 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
At 8/29/2013 11:21:45 AM, DanT wrote:
At 8/29/2013 10:58:10 AM, proglib wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:40:13 AM, DanT wrote:
The government should not be involved in marriage period.

Perhaps in a better world.

However, if government is involved in contracts, marriage might be as appropriate as many other contracts for the govt to regulate.

But marriage is a spiritual contract not a legal contract.

Not in today's society it isn't.

Says who?

Marriage is the same today as it was 200 years ago. The only difference is that there are now legal privileges that go along with marriage. The contract did not become a legal contract, legal rights were just awarded to the people forming the spiritual contract. Common law marriages is a legal recognition of a social or religious marriage in order to obtain legal benefits. Even if you are not spiritually married you may be socially married, and a judge can legally recognize your marriage.

Marriage certificates are like photo IDs. IDs don't make you a resident, they serve as proof of residency. Same with all certificates; a diploma does not make you a graduate, it just proves you graduated, which is why a diploma is awarded after conferral.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
breaxxbaxx
Posts: 40
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 12:09:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 10:36:06 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:26:09 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Pennsylvania: Gay Couples Don"t Deserve To Marry Because They"re Just Like 12-Year-Old Children

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania continues to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples " over 150 so far " but the state Department of Health is now arguing that it"s no different than giving marriage licenses to children. The Department is suing to stop the marriages, and its latest brief suggests that gay and lesbian couples are disqualified from marrying just like 12-year-olds, as reported by Philly.com:
The state filed a brief Wednesday opposing the couples" participation, arguing that their marriage licenses hold no "actual value or legitimacy" and thus have no right to be defended in court.

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his "license"?" the state wrote.

The state leaves out one key distinction between adult same-sex couples and 12-year-olds: the ability to consent. Indeed, though both groups are prohibited from marrying under state law, the comparison stops there. The only distinction between same-sex couples from opposite-sex couples is their gender, because they are otherwise raising children and engaging in communities just like other families. With this comparison, Pennsylvania is acknowledging that gays and lesbians should be discriminated against simply because of their sexual orientation.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org...

First, what are homosexuals consenting to?? They're consenting to love and have sex with their friend. Ok, so what?? That isn't what marriage is, nor is it why the state recognizes marriage in the first place. Natural marriage isn't recognized because a man and woman love each other, the state couldn't care less about love. Natural marriage is recognized by the state because it produces children, and legally attaches those parents to the children. When biological parents stay married and care for their own kids, the government is not stuck with the burden of expending taxpayer money on caring for them. Being raised by their biological parents is also best for the kids. That is why the state favors natural marriage.

As for homosexuals who have children, not a single one of them had that child as the result of a monogamous homosexual relationship, which is kinda, ya know, what marriage is supposed to be. They brought kids into the world knowing that the marriage issue isn't settled, and they did so as an excuse to try and force the issue, and validate their relationship. That is their own fault, and proves that their sexual desires are more important than what's in the best interest of their own children.

For all intent and purpose, a homosexual relationship is more like a marriage of 8 year olds. It's sterile in 100% of cases, and has nothing to do with the state's reason and interest in marriage, in the first place, so PA is justified in its challenge.

There are lots of kids in the world waiting to be adopted. Some kids don't have parents to take care of them, that's been a reality since us humans came into existence. So, if there are people out there that want to adopt those kids and bring them into good homes, how is that a problem? It doesn't matter if they're a gay couple or a straight couple. There have already been enough studies and enough personal testimonies from kids raised by gay parents to show that it doesn't hurt the child.

By your line of logic, if gay couples shouldn't be allowed to marry than neither should infertile straight couples.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:43:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:40:13 AM, DanT wrote:
The government should not be involved in marriage period.

That'd be too easy and obvious a solution hah
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 1:46:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
How have no pro-homosexuality people not blasted this to pieces yet?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 2:20:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:26:09 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Pennsylvania: Gay Couples Don"t Deserve To Marry Because They"re Just Like 12-Year-Old Children

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania continues to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples " over 150 so far " but the state Department of Health is now arguing that it"s no different than giving marriage licenses to children. The Department is suing to stop the marriages, and its latest brief suggests that gay and lesbian couples are disqualified from marrying just like 12-year-olds, as reported by Philly.com:
The state filed a brief Wednesday opposing the couples" participation, arguing that their marriage licenses hold no "actual value or legitimacy" and thus have no right to be defended in court.

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his "license"?" the state wrote.

The state leaves out one key distinction between adult same-sex couples and 12-year-olds: the ability to consent. Indeed, though both groups are prohibited from marrying under state law, the comparison stops there. The only distinction between same-sex couples from opposite-sex couples is their gender, because they are otherwise raising children and engaging in communities just like other families. With this comparison, Pennsylvania is acknowledging that gays and lesbians should be discriminated against simply because of their sexual orientation.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org...

Apart from the "Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his "license"?" Did the state make any other link between gay marriage and child marriage?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 2:58:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 10:36:06 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:26:09 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Pennsylvania: Gay Couples Don"t Deserve To Marry Because They"re Just Like 12-Year-Old Children

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania continues to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples " over 150 so far " but the state Department of Health is now arguing that it"s no different than giving marriage licenses to children. The Department is suing to stop the marriages, and its latest brief suggests that gay and lesbian couples are disqualified from marrying just like 12-year-olds, as reported by Philly.com:
The state filed a brief Wednesday opposing the couples" participation, arguing that their marriage licenses hold no "actual value or legitimacy" and thus have no right to be defended in court.

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old . . . is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his "license"?" the state wrote.

The state leaves out one key distinction between adult same-sex couples and 12-year-olds: the ability to consent. Indeed, though both groups are prohibited from marrying under state law, the comparison stops there. The only distinction between same-sex couples from opposite-sex couples is their gender, because they are otherwise raising children and engaging in communities just like other families. With this comparison, Pennsylvania is acknowledging that gays and lesbians should be discriminated against simply because of their sexual orientation.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org...

First, what are homosexuals consenting to?? They're consenting to love and have sex with their friend. Ok, so what??

They're consenting to a contract between the two of them and the government, with terms set by the government. Nothing else needs to be said.

That isn't what marriage is, nor is it why the state recognizes marriage in the first place. Natural marriage isn't recognized because a man and woman love each other, the state couldn't care less about love.

So the state can't allow people to engage in contracts if they want to?

Natural marriage is recognized by the state because it produces children, and legally attaches those parents to the children.

Biological parents are ALREADY legally attatched to their children (with the notable exception of when one or both parents are unknown, usually with anonymous sperm donations). As for producing children, same-sex couples can use the same methods that many heterosexual infertile couples use to have children that are biologically half theirs - sperm donation and birth surrogates. They can also adopt. Of course, these probably don't count to you.

When biological parents stay married and care for their own kids, the government is not stuck with the burden of expending taxpayer money on caring for them.

Nice non-sequitur.

Being raised by their biological parents is also best for the kids. That is why the state favors natural marriage.

Too bad we don't live in a perfect world. I would hope that the state also favors rational thought and realizes that it is completely unrealistic to assume that everything will be perfect - we still have adoption, whether it is due to unfit parents, or the many other reasons that a child may be up for adoption.

As for homosexuals who have children, not a single one of them had that child as the result of a monogamous homosexual relationship, which is kinda, ya know, what marriage is supposed to be.

As for infertile heterosexuals who have children, not a single one of them had that child as the result of a monogamous heterosexual relationship, which is kinda, ya know, what marriage is supposed to be.

See, I can assert things too.

They brought kids into the world knowing that the marriage issue isn't settled, and they did so as an excuse to try and force the issue, and validate their relationship. That is their own fault, and proves that their sexual desires are more important than what's in the best interest of their own children.

Married couples have more stable families than unmarried ones and add a sense of security for the children. I think that that would fall under the best interest of their own children.

For all intent and purpose, a homosexual relationship is more like a marriage of 8 year olds. It's sterile in 100% of cases, and has nothing to do with the state's reason and interest in marriage, in the first place, so PA is justified in its challenge.

The only validity of the challenge is that its laws officially state that they do not recognize same-sex unions. In addition, (I know you will ignore this, like you do everything said by someone with views differing from your own), adults can consent, 8 year olds can't.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 3:37:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 10:36:06 AM, medic0506 wrote:

First, what are homosexuals consenting to?? They're consenting to love and have sex with their friend. Ok, so what?? That isn't what marriage is, nor is it why the state recognizes marriage in the first place. Natural marriage isn't recognized because a man and woman love each other, the state couldn't care less about love. Natural marriage is recognized by the state because it produces children, and legally attaches those parents to the children. When biological parents stay married and care for their own kids, the government is not stuck with the burden of expending taxpayer money on caring for them. Being raised by their biological parents is also best for the kids. That is why the state favors natural marriage.

That's all well and good, but it is moot.
The state not taking care of children is irrelevant, because to get aid for your child, you need not be married. Therefore, the current reason why government condones marriage has little, if anything, due to children, since no rights of children are denied through their parent's never being married.

Child tax credit, don't need to be married.
Visitation rights, don't need a divorce.
Welfare for children, irrelevant if the child was born out of wedlock, and is also irrelevant if both parents are together.

As for homosexuals who have children, not a single one of them had that child as the result of a monogamous homosexual relationship, which is kinda, ya know, what marriage is supposed to be. They brought kids into the world knowing that the marriage issue isn't settled, and they did so as an excuse to try and force the issue, and validate their relationship. That is their own fault, and proves that their sexual desires are more important than what's in the best interest of their own children.

If the government view of marriage was monogamous relationships, then they would not condone divorce.

For all intent and purpose, a homosexual relationship is more like a marriage of 8 year olds. It's sterile in 100% of cases, and has nothing to do with the state's reason and interest in marriage, in the first place, so PA is justified in its challenge.

As far as procreation, yes, a homosexual relationship is like 8-year-olds. But, beyond that, there is little to that comparison.
My work here is, finally, done.
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 3:40:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 10:01:25 AM, imabench wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:33:54 AM, leojm wrote:
Gay marriage is just wrong over all. If God wanted gay marriage he would have made Adam and Adam, or Eve and Eve. Now that does not make any sense what so ever. It's also sickening.

That's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard....

*cough* weekly stupid *cough*
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
proglib
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 4:59:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 10:57:34 AM, leojm wrote:
At 8/29/2013 10:56:13 AM, proglib wrote:
At 8/29/2013 10:03:12 AM, leojm wrote:
At 8/29/2013 10:01:25 AM, imabench wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:33:54 AM, leojm wrote:
Gay marriage is just wrong over all. If God wanted gay marriage he would have made Adam and Adam, or Eve and Eve. Now that does not make any sense what so ever. It's also sickening.

That's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard....

Advice: use another word than retarded. (It's what 12 year old say, and it's overrated)

Exactly!

The word retarded reminds me of the abbreviation "PHP"--it has a self referring quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

And since you've already agreed that it was not the smartest thing you've said recently, it is doubly stupid to refer to you comment as "retarded."

I will say, however, that the obvious retort--one that clearly has occurred to you already--is that if God created Adam and Eve, god also created Adam and Steve, Madam and Eve, ... :)

Cheers

How fantastic. :)

Thanks! :)

I've enjoyed reading your comments on some other topics, and wasn't surprised by your smart turnaround.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
proglib
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 5:06:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 3:40:31 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 8/29/2013 10:01:25 AM, imabench wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:33:54 AM, leojm wrote:
Gay marriage is just wrong over all. If God wanted gay marriage he would have made Adam and Adam, or Eve and Eve. Now that does not make any sense what so ever. It's also sickening.

That's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard....

*cough* weekly stupid *cough*

Reading the thread more, one might say that the stupider post is the second, not the first.

You have read the thread farther than this one semi-correct, but incomplete criticism of @leojm, right? [He asked somewhat pedantically, and perhaps sounding a bit sarcastic and self-righteous? :) ]
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 5:29:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/29/2013 9:41:48 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:
At 8/29/2013 9:40:13 AM, DanT wrote:
The government should not be involved in marriage period.

this I agree with

As do I.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Lordgrae
Posts: 666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 5:40:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am from PA (fortunately from the more sane east part near Philly, not the Pennsyl-tucky region)

I am ashamed of my state. I know that gay marriage will happen in the future, regardless of whether or not I or any of you support it (I do support it). The amount of people who accept gays is increasing, and most importantly is that it is not across the board. It is an age shift. The younger someone is the more likely they are to accept gays, and when those people become a major voting faction, gay marriage will be legal. (YAY)

All the people who don't support gay marriage are doing is wasting the time of our politicians and court system by going to war for something they cannot win against. Especially when they are wrong.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved