Jump to topic:

Why Boycotting the Sochi Olympics is Wrong

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 10:33:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm not one to ramble or make excessively long posts, so I'll be as absolutely brief as possible.

In essence, it's my contention that the Olympics, being a place for the countries of the world to unite even if for a couple weeks, should be treated as such. Yes, Russia has a screwed-up policy regarding homosexuality. But at the same time the Olympics is about PEOPLE uniting and coming together, not being another venue for countries to air their political dirty laundry by using boycotting as a political bargaining chip.

As much as I believe politics is highly important, there's a time and a place, and the Olympics is not the place nor the time.

What say you all?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 10:56:47 AM
At 8/31/2013 10:33:46 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I'm not one to ramble or make excessively long posts, so I'll be as absolutely brief as possible.

In essence, it's my contention that the Olympics, being a place for the countries of the world to unite even if for a couple weeks, should be treated as such. Yes, Russia has a screwed-up policy regarding homosexuality. But at the same time the Olympics is about PEOPLE uniting and coming together, not being another venue for countries to air their political dirty laundry by using boycotting as a political bargaining chip.

As much as I believe politics is highly important, there's a time and a place, and the Olympics is not the place nor the time.

What say you all?

Boycotting the olympics is about shaming the Russians, and I see nothing wrong with it. If I were an athlete, I don't know what I'd do...

At the same time, the strongest statement would be for a gay Olympian to win a gold medal.
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 12:40:49 PM
At 8/31/2013 10:56:47 AM, YYW wrote:

What say you all?

Boycotting the olympics is about shaming the Russians, and I see nothing wrong with it. If I were an athlete, I don't know what I'd do...

At the same time, the strongest statement would be for a gay Olympian to win a gold medal.

Interior Design isn't an Olympic sport yet.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 1:29:47 PM

What say you all?

Agreef, plus we have participated in more immoral places. We went to china in 2008, and they still have forced sterilization and forced abortions.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 1:40:38 PM

The bolded is where your advocacy hits a stark contradiction. If "the Olympics is about PEOPLE uniting and coming together", then why aren't homosexuals allowed to do the same in the Olympics? Are they not "PEOPLE"?

(note, I don't know what the LGBT laws are in Russia, and I am running off the assumption that they are exclusionary by nature)

What say you all?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 2:58:18 PM

What say you all?

For once we agree on something.