Jump to topic:

Best ways to combat Chinese regional hegemony

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 4:43:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What are good ideas on how to combat Chinese regional hegemony without direct conflict? I always thought re militarizing japan would help a lot.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 4:56:34 PM
At 8/31/2013 4:43:42 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
What are good ideas on how to combat Chinese regional hegemony without direct conflict? I always thought re militarizing japan would help a lot.

Why do you think China is actually a threat to the United States in any geopolitical sense?

Their damnably irritating proclivity to obstinately defy the west in terms of Security Council resolutions notwithstanding, the US and China are good allies. The Russians, less so.
Tsar of DDO
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 5:05:18 PM
Our relationship with china is more complex then you make it out to be, sure they our one of our strongest economic allies, hell, I would even venture to say our economies are reliant on one another. While all of this us happening; we are playing naval war games with them alongside the aussies and Philippinos.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 5:09:14 PM
At 8/31/2013 5:05:18 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
Our relationship with china is more complex then you make it out to be, sure they our one of our strongest economic allies, hell, I would even venture to say our economies are reliant on one another. While all of this us happening; we are playing naval war games with them alongside the aussies and Philippinos.

lol, I didn't imply that the complexity of Sino-American relations could be summed up in one sentence -and I don't think I did. But, that aside, China will not attack the US directly or indirectly as long as we don't attack them either directly or indirectly. There's just no reason to...
Tsar of DDO
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 5:13:32 PM
Nuclear weapons would be most effective.

But combating it isn't what we should be concerned with.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 5:58:15 PM
At 8/31/2013 5:13:32 PM, FREEDO wrote:

nuclear weapons are probably a last resort
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 6:02:24 PM
The Chinese have no interest in America being extremely damaged and unable to throw money its way.

But if you could find a way to force their currency off it's undervalue, it'd be a good start.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 6:09:36 PM
A lot of people make the false assumption that economic ties prevent war, this is the flawed rationale for why WWI would never occur. As I said, total war economies can sustain a nation for years, as long as they haven't ran out of people to use the weapons. Assuming the nation uses the resources of their imperial gains, they can sustain themselves for even longer.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 6:12:33 PM
At 8/31/2013 6:09:36 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
A lot of people make the false assumption that economic ties prevent war, this is the flawed rationale for why WWI would never occur. As I said, total war economies can sustain a nation for years, as long as they haven't ran out of people to use the weapons. Assuming the nation uses the resources of their imperial gains, they can sustain themselves for even longer.

a war between us and china would probably have something to do with north korea. we keep pushing and pushing to weaken north korea and I think china is getting tired of it. we're going to do something so drastic against north korea that it will be the straw that broke the camels back. why can't we be like other countries and not have to make every country like us. its so fvcking annoying now
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 6:14:56 PM
At 8/31/2013 5:13:32 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Nuclear weapons are like old radios, everyone has them, but would be socially outcasted for using it (unless you're a hipster, that is). In all seriousness, if the USA finishes its laser project (Reagan's wet dream), then america would be the first nation to defy the MAD theory, then we could use our nukes indiscriminately, which even scares me.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2013 6:16:28 PM
Although for all we know, by the time the gov't says they have started a military project, they already have it finished and ready for use.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 11:33:21 AM
Why does the US need to combat Chinese regional hegemony?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 3:19:15 PM
Although for all we know, by the time the gov't says they have started a military project, they already have it finished and ready for use.