Jump to topic:

Hegemony vs. Free Trade

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 7:30:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The way to world peace is not through interventionism, war, or hegemony. Rather, it is through global free trade and a global currency.

Discuss.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 9:51:17 AM
At 9/4/2013 7:30:27 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
The way to world peace is not through interventionism, war, or hegemony. Rather, it is through global free trade and a global currency.

How do we weigh the value of a currency if it can't be compared to others? Also, a wasteful government that prints too much of this currency could crash the global economy. Why do you think a global currency will work out better than the euro that failed?

What you are arguing for is essentially utopian, for this to work all governments would have to be fiscally sensible, and whenever another government's economy was about to collapse, all other nations would have to bail them out to avoid devaluing the global currency, that's not free trade of capitalism at all.

Discuss.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 10:21:44 AM
At 9/4/2013 9:51:17 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

How do we weigh the value of a currency if it can't be compared to others?

The fact that currency is compared to others creates an inefficiency in its purpose, which is as a medium of exchange.

Also, a wasteful government that prints too much of this currency could crash the global economy. Why do you think a global currency will work out better than the euro that failed?

By avoiding some of its problems. One such aversion would be to make it decentralized.

What you are arguing for is essentially utopian, for this to work all governments would have to be fiscally sensible,

Not if it were decentralized.

and whenever another government's economy was about to collapse, all other nations would have to bail them out to avoid devaluing the global currency, that's not free trade of capitalism at all.

When you make all countries economically dependent on one another through free trade (removal of international trade barriers) and a global currency, than it becomes more detrimental than not for a government to wage war against another country.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 11:06:36 AM

Discuss.

Define free trade.

My guess is that when you do, you will find that it does not exist in the way you seek to define it.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 12:01:32 PM
At 9/4/2013 11:06:36 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Discuss.

Define free trade.

My guess is that when you do, you will find that it does not exist in the way you seek to define it.

Removal of international trade barriers, like tariffs, duties, sanctions, etc.

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 12:02:21 PM
At 9/4/2013 12:01:32 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Discuss.

Define free trade.

Then the freest of trade happens within a hegemony.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 12:08:31 PM

Discuss.

Define free trade.

The government of each country still decides the expenditures within the country? Or does it get approved by the international overlord?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 12:44:44 PM

Discuss.

I believe you're mixing up "free trade" with "fair trade."

"Global free trade" can and usually does benefit the hegemon. The easy trade tariffs are mostly gone, the remaining "barriers" to free trade have to do with in-state regulation. For instance, America can consider a third world country to have a "tariff" on their goods if that country grants subsidies to their farmers. A great example of "invisible tariffs" that hegemons may target is anti-dumping laws.
http://dash.harvard.edu...

America benefits by making sure it's trade partners lose their ability to control their own marketplace through such measures. "Free trade" agreements are a great way to do this.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 12:59:52 PM
At 9/4/2013 10:21:44 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 9/4/2013 9:51:17 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

How do we weigh the value of a currency if it can't be compared to others?

The fact that currency is compared to others creates an inefficiency in its purpose, which is as a medium of exchange.

I don't get your point, everything is valued by it's rarity, the more rare a medium of exchange is, the more it's worth, what ingenious method would you use to measure the rarity of a currency? Would some international board control the printing of currency for 7 billion people? Would these people be elected or appointed?

Also, a wasteful government that prints too much of this currency could crash the global economy. Why do you think a global currency will work out better than the euro that failed?

By avoiding some of its problems. One such aversion would be to make it decentralized.

What you are arguing for is essentially utopian, for this to work all governments would have to be fiscally sensible,

Not if it were decentralized.

If we would all be using one currency, how would you de centralize a currency? I don't get it, if we are all using one currency we would be reliant on the fiscal responsibility of each individual government.

and whenever another government's economy was about to collapse, all other nations would have to bail them out to avoid devaluing the global currency, that's not free trade of capitalism at all.

When you make all countries economically dependent on one another through free trade (removal of international trade barriers) and a global currency, than it becomes more detrimental than not for a government to wage war against another country.

OK? That's a different subject. Reply to what I posted, then we will talk about war. At any rate, war has some positive consequences, such as temporarily giving a jolt to a suffering economy. War also creates competition and sparks technological advances. Hegemony creates a better, more prosperous capitalism than an international economy where all countries are reliant on one another. Bailouts do not occur in a real capitalism, but to keep this international currency valued, we would have to bail out nations who have economic issues.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 3:51:47 PM

Discuss.

Define free trade.

GATT and WTO took care of most of the easy ones awhile back. The remaining ones are third rail issues that involve interfering with national policy.
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 4:26:27 PM

Discuss.

No way no how. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I would rather die than see globalism gain support.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 5:08:31 PM
I disagree about the global currency part, but free trade absolutely. I think Penn and Teller put it best.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus