Jump to topic:

Whites and Racial Interactions *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 1:45:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is not a surprise to anyone here in the US alone. But as my other thread indicated in the society category, how much do we learn from one another. And how much of what we learn is natural or the norm. Do you really believe that racism is something that is taught and accepted automatically. Or is this just to excuse the actual underlying issue here which is integration. What does this video say to you.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 5:24:40 PM
At 9/9/2013 1:45:46 PM, inferno wrote:
This is not a surprise to anyone here in the US alone. But as my other thread indicated in the society category, how much do we learn from one another. And how much of what we learn is natural or the norm. Do you really believe that racism is something that is taught and accepted automatically. Or is this just to excuse the actual underlying issue here which is integration. What does this video say to you.

Of course it is all learned. What we see in the video is that people to this day put way too much importance on race and judgement for or against people due to race.

There is nothing innate in people which would cause them to not have the ability to trust and even like people of a different race.

People miss the boat when trying to explain these types of phenomena. How many folks have you heard in your life who proclaim the ability to ascertain the character of another individual the first time they meet with in minutes? It is considered a valuable skill in today's society and it is one that I am calling BS on.

All that type of mentality demonstrates is that people are comfortable taking superficial attributes and assigning judgement on who and what they are without truly understanding the nature of that person.

I have zero hope that in the short term society can stop using superficial attributes when making judgement against people such as race.

This video shows a long term trend is possible. Even though most kids of all races grow up in households that make judgments using superficial attributes of people, those kids can consciously choose to stop unconsciously learning discriminatory thoughts and decisions.

They just have to be taught by someone that using race to make a decision or judgement for or against another is wrong, just like it is no longer acceptable to make a judgement against someone because he is left handed versus right handed.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 5:32:38 PM
At 9/9/2013 5:24:40 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 9/9/2013 1:45:46 PM, inferno wrote:

Of course it is all learned. What we see in the video is that people to this day put way too much importance on race and judgement for or against people due to race.

There is nothing innate in people which would cause them to not have the ability to trust and even like people of a different race.

People miss the boat when trying to explain these types of phenomena. How many folks have you heard in your life who proclaim the ability to ascertain the character of another individual the first time they meet with in minutes? It is considered a valuable skill in today's society and it is one that I am calling BS on.

All that type of mentality demonstrates is that people are comfortable taking superficial attributes and assigning judgement on who and what they are without truly understanding the nature of that person.

I have zero hope that in the short term society can stop using superficial attributes when making judgement against people such as race.

This video shows a long term trend is possible. Even though most kids of all races grow up in households that make judgments using superficial attributes of people, those kids can consciously choose to stop unconsciously learning discriminatory thoughts and decisions.

They just have to be taught by someone that using race to make a decision or judgement for or against another is wrong, just like it is no longer acceptable to make a judgement against someone because he is left handed versus right handed.

Thank you for the response......Any more comments. =)