Jump to topic:

A society without violence

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:16:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In a nonviolent society, is government necessary, and even if it is not necessary, would it still be beneficial to have? Why?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:25:24 PM
Yes, taxes must still be paid for things like infrastructure, education, and other government projects. A nonviolent society simply eliminates the need for a military. However, there will still be scams, cons, and liability issues. Thus, the police, department of justice, and a complete judicial system will still be in order.
The government is still necessary.
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:32:51 PM
Government is necessary whether society is violent or non-violent, because you need someone to protect your rights and govern welfare, infrastructure, and national defense. I believe that government should never get too big for its britches, even if society is violent and suicidal. Here's why.
The media, which is mainly controlled by the left (i.e. CNN, MSNBC, etc.), makes every crime a showcase for the world to see. The government politicizes it and uses it as part of their agenda. So instead of actually solving the problem, the government takes advantage of it and tries to push their values. Plus, the criminal is on TV and everyone knows his name and face. He's practically a celebrity.
The government (for the most part the left) will base new laws off these crimes. The catch is, a criminal by definition is a law-breaker. A criminal will not follow these new laws. It's plain logic.
The government feels that creating new laws is the only way to stop crime, but it is actually causing more crime. So yes, it is necessary, but not so much that it should have its hand in every aspect of our lives.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:45:18 PM
Not that such a society can't exist with violence, but nobody violating the NAP would be a perfect recipe for an anarcho-capitalist sort of society.

So to answer your question, no.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 11:23:47 PM
At 9/11/2013 9:32:51 PM, ironmaiden wrote:
Government is necessary whether society is violent or non-violent, because you need someone to protect your rights and govern welfare, infrastructure, and national defense. I believe that government should never get too big for its britches, even if society is violent and suicidal. Here's why.
The media, which is mainly controlled by the left (i.e. CNN, MSNBC, etc.), makes every crime a showcase for the world to see. The government politicizes it and uses it as part of their agenda. So instead of actually solving the problem, the government takes advantage of it and tries to push their values. Plus, the criminal is on TV and everyone knows his name and face. He's practically a celebrity.
The government (for the most part the left) will base new laws off these crimes. The catch is, a criminal by definition is a law-breaker. A criminal will not follow these new laws. It's plain logic.

This seems to be based on the faulty assumption that violent tendencies are an inherent part of human nature.

The government feels that creating new laws is the only way to stop crime, but it is actually causing more crime. So yes, it is necessary, but not so much that it should have its hand in every aspect of our lives.

So wouldn't it be better to wean the government down to nothing for the sake of creating a healthier and less violent human race?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 11:27:33 PM
At 9/11/2013 9:25:24 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Yes, taxes must still be paid for things like infrastructure, education, and other government projects. A nonviolent society simply eliminates the need for a military. However, there will still be scams, cons, and liability issues. Thus, the police, department of justice, and a complete judicial system will still be in order.
The government is still necessary.

History has shown that civil dispute court systems can work outside of the presence of a state. Also, out of all of the things that you listed as things that taxes should still pay for, none of them are things that the people could not handle.

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 1:33:09 AM
At 9/11/2013 9:16:36 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
In a nonviolent society, is government necessary, and even if it is not necessary, would it still be beneficial to have? Why?

A nonviolent society must include pot.