Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Obama is sending 30k troops to Afg

Sniperjake1994
Posts: 73
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 9:19:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So the president promised on to continue the war...and is planning to send 30000 to Afghanistan. He is unreliable and a phony just like the promised Universal Healthcare.

Opinions?
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 9:34:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/19/2009 9:19:13 PM, Sniperjake1994 wrote:
So the president promised on to continue the war...and is planning to send 30000 to Afghanistan. He is unreliable and a phony just like the promised Universal Healthcare.

Opinions?

Didn't the Senate just pass a Health Care bill today? Or something? I think it's more responsible of a person to change their mind according to the presented circumstances rather than jeopardize anyone's safety for the sake of one's pride. That said, I don't know enough about this issue to have a highly educated opinion.
President of DDO
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 9:37:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
No one really has the information that Obama has. We just have to trust him. I had that belief with Bush too. We are in (really) no position to criticize them.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 9:40:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/19/2009 9:37:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:
No one really has the information that Obama has. We just have to trust him. I had that belief with Bush too. We are in (really) no position to criticize them.

Nothing can justify murder.

"Obama seemed like a decent guy, but as president, he has no hesitation in killing a group of people in Pakistan, including three little children. But what is murder in the private sector is just public policy for the state, and Obama is head of state, so he wields his terrible, swift Predator on people he doesn't know, and of whom he knows nothing. During the campaign, he famously said that if missiles were endangering his daughters, he would "do anything" to stop them. Think anyone else feels the same way?" - Lew Rockwell

Drone attacks: http://www.timesonline.co.uk...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 10:39:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
He also said he'd get troops out of Iraq, but all he really did was redefine what "troops" meant.

But it's not like we couldn't see that coming. WW2 ended over half a century ago, and we're still in Japan...
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 10:45:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/19/2009 9:40:34 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 12/19/2009 9:37:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:Think anyone else feels the same way?" - Lew Rockwell
Hope so. Maybe then they'll surrender. That stops the predator attacks right up :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 11:08:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm afraid to say, but I have to go with wjm on this. Those in power have access to information we don't, and that puts them in a better position than us.

However, it also gives them loads of responsibility, so if things do f*ck up, we know where to go.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 11:09:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/19/2009 11:08:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
However, it also gives them loads of responsibility, so if things do f*ck up, we know where to go.

Agree here.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2009 11:15:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/19/2009 9:19:13 PM, Sniperjake1994 wrote:
So the president promised on to continue the war...and is planning to send 30000 to Afghanistan. He is unreliable and a phony just like the promised Universal Healthcare.

How is fulfilling his stated agenda during the election campaign to pay more attention to Afghanistan and continue the fight there making him unreliable and a phony?

If you want that, look north: http://www.cbc.ca...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 12:41:02 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/19/2009 11:08:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
I'm afraid to say, but I have to go with wjm on this. Those in power have access to information we don't, and that puts them in a better position than us.


We can't just assume that our leaders have access to superior information and give them the benefit of the doubt for it. It may be the case, but the corruptive nature of power is a far greater risk. Leaders must be held to account on everything.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 12:42:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/20/2009 12:41:02 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
We can't just assume that our leaders have access to superior information and give them the benefit of the doubt for it. It may be the case, but the corruptive nature of power is a far greater risk. Leaders must be held to account on everything.

'Tis why I said the latter part you cut out.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 12:43:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/20/2009 12:42:06 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/20/2009 12:41:02 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
We can't just assume that our leaders have access to superior information and give them the benefit of the doubt for it. It may be the case, but the corruptive nature of power is a far greater risk. Leaders must be held to account on everything.

'Tis why I said the latter part you cut out.

I beg your pardon sirrah!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 12:44:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/20/2009 12:43:00 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I beg your pardon sirrah!

Volkov said:
However, it also gives them loads of responsibility, so if things do f*ck up, we know where to go.

^^
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 8:09:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/19/2009 9:40:34 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Nothing can justify murder.
http://www.debate.org...
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 10:03:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/19/2009 11:08:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
I'm afraid to say, but I have to go with wjm on this. Those in power have access to information we don't, and that puts them in a better position than us.

He is just another warmonger that has no respect for human life.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 12:09:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/20/2009 10:03:43 AM, Reasoning wrote:
At 12/19/2009 11:08:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
I'm afraid to say, but I have to go with wjm on this. Those in power have access to information we don't, and that puts them in a better position than us.

He is just another warmonger that has no respect for human life.

And the Taliban weren't?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 12:12:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/20/2009 12:09:50 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
And the Taliban weren't?

Straw man. Anyway, do you think the US would have to worry about the Taliban if the US never invaded the Middle East?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 1:50:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/20/2009 10:03:43 AM, Reasoning wrote:
He is just another warmonger that has no respect for human life.

Of course, and people like this will never exist in a world where there no rules.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 2:03:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/20/2009 1:50:36 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/20/2009 10:03:43 AM, Reasoning wrote:
He is just another warmonger that has no respect for human life.

Of course, and people like this will never exist in a world where there no rules.

No rules is this world.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 2:44:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/20/2009 2:03:24 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
No rules is this world.

Really? Go attempt to rob someone in full sight of police. Tell me if there are no rules after you're done.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 3:05:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/20/2009 2:44:03 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/20/2009 2:03:24 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
No rules is this world.

Really? Go attempt to rob someone in full sight of police. Tell me if there are no rules after you're done.

If you attempt to rob me and I respond, does that make my response a rule?
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 3:23:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/20/2009 3:05:32 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
If you attempt to rob me and I respond, does that make my response a rule?

No, but having a law in place which forbids robbery and empowers other individuals to stop you is a 'rule'. Because otherwise, there isn't anything compelling them to do as such.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2009 7:05:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/20/2009 3:23:24 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/20/2009 3:05:32 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
If you attempt to rob me and I respond, does that make my response a rule?

No, but having a law in place which forbids robbery and empowers other individuals to stop you is a 'rule'. Because otherwise, there isn't anything compelling them to do as such.

What is "a law", what is "in place", and what makes this combination different from common law and custom that has always been present in human societies throughout history?
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?