Jump to topic:

Ethnocentrism at its finest. :'(

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 4:47:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
She's not even that pretty. Maybe it's just me, but white girls are generally a lot prettier than east Asians.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:00:57 PM
At 9/16/2013 4:47:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
She's not even that pretty. Maybe it's just me, but white girls are generally a lot prettier than east Asians.

Your profile pic is quite relevant to the topic :)

http://www.debate.org...
0x5f3759df
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:05:30 PM
At 9/16/2013 5:00:57 PM, Bullish wrote:

Your profile pic is quite relevant to the topic :)

http://www.debate.org...

I thought it was pretty amusing. I always wonder how different life would be if I lived a few hundred years ago. Perhaps if it was like Django Unchained (minus all the killing), it wouldn't have been too bad.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:08:37 PM
I think most people think, like me, think that a Miss America winner should be white. Most people, however, are cowards and won't say it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:16:42 PM
Let us all reflect, for a moment, on how absurd pageant culture is, how absurd the Miss America event is, how absurd it is for people to be offended that a non-white girl won, etc. It's not that I think the pageant is morally or ethically base. I don't. I only think it's absurd in totality.
Tsar of DDO
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:29:56 PM
At 9/16/2013 5:16:42 PM, YYW wrote:
Let us all reflect, for a moment, on how absurd pageant culture is, how absurd the Miss America event is, how absurd it is for people to be offended that a non-white girl won, etc. It's not that I think the pageant is morally or ethically base. I don't. I only think it's absurd in totality.

The only absurd part that I can see is the fact that it's statistically near impossible to confirm that she is the "most beautiful" or something along those lines, considering the amount of people that weren't in the competition.

Other than that, I don't see any problems in the general premise.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:35:18 PM
At 9/16/2013 5:29:56 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

The only absurd part that I can see is the fact that it's statistically

Let me just stop you there. Math and the aesthetic beauty of human beings have nothing to do with one another.

near impossible to confirm that she is the "most beautiful" or something along those lines, considering the amount of people that weren't in the competition.

"Most beautiful" exists only as an ideal. And most of the women that I see on in pageants are not beautiful. They are plasticized dolls -or that's what they look like.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
Tsar of DDO
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:53:24 PM
At 9/16/2013 5:35:18 PM, YYW wrote:

Let me just stop you there. Math and the aesthetic beauty of human beings have nothing to do with one another.

Aesthetic beauty is all about mathematical ratios. Have you ever heard of Phi?

near impossible to confirm that she is the "most beautiful" or something along those lines, considering the amount of people that weren't in the competition.

"Most beautiful" exists only as an ideal. And most of the women that I see on in pageants are not beautiful. They are plasticized dolls -or that's what they look like.

Your uh.... predicament might skew your viewpoint.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am

Perhaps America's Next Top Interior Designer? :)
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:55:40 PM

Did you say aesthetic beauty aesthetics apply to objects not people.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:57:02 PM
At 9/16/2013 5:55:40 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

No, I said that human beautify can't be statistically, numerically, or quantified with numbers.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:01:42 PM
At 9/16/2013 5:57:02 PM, YYW wrote:

No, I said that human beautify can't be statistically, numerically, or quantified with numbers.
Again "aesthetic" applies to objects. Also it applies to how something 'accents' the surrounding area

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:05:51 PM
At 9/16/2013 6:01:42 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Again "aesthetic" applies to objects. Also it applies to how something 'accents' the surrounding area

lol

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:05:57 PM
At 9/16/2013 6:01:42 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

No, I said that human beauty can't be statistically, numerically, or quantified with numbers.
Again "aesthetic" applies to objects.

The word "aesthetic" literally means "concerned with beauty or appearances." But, in a way, pageants treat people like objects.

(Also, I realized that fvcking autocorrect put "beautify" instead of "beauty." That might have been one source of confusion.)

Also it applies to how something 'accents' the surrounding area

Yeah.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
Tsar of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:06:35 PM
At 9/16/2013 5:08:37 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I think most people think, like me, think that a Miss America winner should be white. Most people, however, are cowards and won't say it.
No evidence for your claim. Other than that - why should she be white? America is not a country for whites only, "American" is NOT a white ethnicity or ANY ethnicity at all. So, why should she be white, huh?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:08:48 PM
At 9/16/2013 6:06:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
No evidence for your claim. Other than that - why should she be white? America is not a country for whites only, "American" is NOT a white ethnicity or ANY ethnicity at all. So, why should she be white, huh?

Whites, in my experiences, are prettier than foreigns.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:10:53 PM
At 9/16/2013 6:08:48 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

What does that have to do with the various non-whites who are in the competition? Because their ethnic group doesn't live up to your standards, it thus means none of the individuals belonging to that group do? Oh Ma'am.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:31:02 PM
At 9/16/2013 6:10:53 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/16/2013 6:08:48 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

What does that have to do with the various non-whites who are in the competition? Because their ethnic group doesn't live up to your standards, it thus means none of the individuals belonging to that group do? Oh Ma'am.

Not necessarily. The winner, the Indian chick, is hardly "beautiful." I mean...

http://en.wikipedia.org...
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:37:05 PM
I usually think racism is exaggerated in america greatly, but idiots like the people that made the tweets mentioned in this blog need to be ostracized and/or heavily criticized by society. Some of the things they said were extremely ignorant, why would they be offended that an Indian won the pageant a few days after the 12th anniversary of 9/11, the fvcking Indians didn't do 9/11...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:39:37 PM
At 9/16/2013 6:37:05 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
the fvcking Indians didn't do 9/11...
Even if they had done it, only the actual criminals and their supporters should be hated. Judging an individual based on the ethnic/religious group he belongs to is idiotic.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:43:01 PM
At 9/16/2013 6:39:37 PM, Mirza wrote:
the fvcking Indians didn't do 9/11...
Even if they had done it, only the actual criminals and their supporters should be hated. Judging an individual based on the ethnic/religious group he belongs to is idiotic.

I agree, I was just pointing that out. I would have no problem if a Saudi Arabian won either (15/19 of the hijackers were Saudi Arabians, contraire to the popular belief by the same people who are mad that an Indian won miss america that it was Iraqis), in fact it would be a good way of showing forgiveness. When you hold a grudge on a person or group of people, whether you like it or not, you share a connection with that person, a bond that is only breakable if you are mature and forgiving enough to break it.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:43:18 PM
I usually think racism is exaggerated in america greatly, but idiots like the people that made the tweets mentioned in this blog need to be ostracized and/or heavily criticized by society. Some of the things they said were extremely ignorant, why would they be offended that an Indian won the pageant a few days after the 12th anniversary of 9/11, the fvcking Indians didn't do 9/11...

To be fair, 13.4 % of Indians are muslims.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:44:35 PM
At 9/16/2013 6:43:18 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

I have a very Christopher-Hitchens esque view on religion, so that isn't relevant to me.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:45:24 PM
At 9/16/2013 6:44:35 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

I have a very Christopher-Hitchens esque view on religion, so that isn't relevant to me.

Which is?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 7:27:50 PM

It's difficult to equate the word "fair" to anything you've said in this thread, LK.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 7:29:01 PM

She's South Asian.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 8:27:50 PM
At 9/16/2013 7:29:01 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

She's South Asian.

She was born in the eastern part of Asia; whether it's southern or northern is secondary.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 8:33:45 PM
At 9/16/2013 8:27:50 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 7:29:01 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

She's South Asian.

She was born in the eastern part of Asia; whether it's southern or northern is secondary.

India is part of south Asia, not east Asia. Thailand is southeast Asia. China, Japan, Korea make up east Asia.