Total Posts:47|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Ethnocentrism at its finest. :'(

Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 4:47:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
She's not even that pretty. Maybe it's just me, but white girls are generally a lot prettier than east Asians.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:00:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 4:47:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
She's not even that pretty. Maybe it's just me, but white girls are generally a lot prettier than east Asians.

Your profile pic is quite relevant to the topic :)

http://www.debate.org...
0x5f3759df
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:05:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 5:00:57 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/16/2013 4:47:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
She's not even that pretty. Maybe it's just me, but white girls are generally a lot prettier than east Asians.

Your profile pic is quite relevant to the topic :)

http://www.debate.org...

I thought it was pretty amusing. I always wonder how different life would be if I lived a few hundred years ago. Perhaps if it was like Django Unchained (minus all the killing), it wouldn't have been too bad.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:08:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think most people think, like me, think that a Miss America winner should be white. Most people, however, are cowards and won't say it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:16:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Let us all reflect, for a moment, on how absurd pageant culture is, how absurd the Miss America event is, how absurd it is for people to be offended that a non-white girl won, etc. It's not that I think the pageant is morally or ethically base. I don't. I only think it's absurd in totality.
Tsar of DDO
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:29:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 5:16:42 PM, YYW wrote:
Let us all reflect, for a moment, on how absurd pageant culture is, how absurd the Miss America event is, how absurd it is for people to be offended that a non-white girl won, etc. It's not that I think the pageant is morally or ethically base. I don't. I only think it's absurd in totality.

The only absurd part that I can see is the fact that it's statistically near impossible to confirm that she is the "most beautiful" or something along those lines, considering the amount of people that weren't in the competition.

Other than that, I don't see any problems in the general premise.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:35:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 5:29:56 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:16:42 PM, YYW wrote:
Let us all reflect, for a moment, on how absurd pageant culture is, how absurd the Miss America event is, how absurd it is for people to be offended that a non-white girl won, etc. It's not that I think the pageant is morally or ethically base. I don't. I only think it's absurd in totality.

The only absurd part that I can see is the fact that it's statistically

Let me just stop you there. Math and the aesthetic beauty of human beings have nothing to do with one another.

near impossible to confirm that she is the "most beautiful" or something along those lines, considering the amount of people that weren't in the competition.

"Most beautiful" exists only as an ideal. And most of the women that I see on in pageants are not beautiful. They are plasticized dolls -or that's what they look like.

Other than that, I don't see any problems in the general premise.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
Tsar of DDO
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:53:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 5:35:18 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:29:56 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:16:42 PM, YYW wrote:
Let us all reflect, for a moment, on how absurd pageant culture is, how absurd the Miss America event is, how absurd it is for people to be offended that a non-white girl won, etc. It's not that I think the pageant is morally or ethically base. I don't. I only think it's absurd in totality.

The only absurd part that I can see is the fact that it's statistically

Let me just stop you there. Math and the aesthetic beauty of human beings have nothing to do with one another.

Aesthetic beauty is all about mathematical ratios. Have you ever heard of Phi?

near impossible to confirm that she is the "most beautiful" or something along those lines, considering the amount of people that weren't in the competition.

"Most beautiful" exists only as an ideal. And most of the women that I see on in pageants are not beautiful. They are plasticized dolls -or that's what they look like.

Your uh.... predicament might skew your viewpoint.

Other than that, I don't see any problems in the general premise.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am

Perhaps America's Next Top Interior Designer? :)
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:55:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 5:35:18 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:29:56 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:16:42 PM, YYW wrote:
Let us all reflect, for a moment, on how absurd pageant culture is, how absurd the Miss America event is, how absurd it is for people to be offended that a non-white girl won, etc. It's not that I think the pageant is morally or ethically base. I don't. I only think it's absurd in totality.

The only absurd part that I can see is the fact that it's statistically

Let me just stop you there. Math and the aesthetic beauty of human beings have nothing to do with one another.
Did you say aesthetic beauty aesthetics apply to objects not people.
near impossible to confirm that she is the "most beautiful" or something along those lines, considering the amount of people that weren't in the competition.

"Most beautiful" exists only as an ideal. And most of the women that I see on in pageants are not beautiful. They are plasticized dolls -or that's what they look like.

Other than that, I don't see any problems in the general premise.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 5:57:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 5:55:40 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:35:18 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:29:56 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:16:42 PM, YYW wrote:
Let us all reflect, for a moment, on how absurd pageant culture is, how absurd the Miss America event is, how absurd it is for people to be offended that a non-white girl won, etc. It's not that I think the pageant is morally or ethically base. I don't. I only think it's absurd in totality.

The only absurd part that I can see is the fact that it's statistically

Let me just stop you there. Math and the aesthetic beauty of human beings have nothing to do with one another.
Did you say aesthetic beauty aesthetics apply to objects not people.

No, I said that human beautify can't be statistically, numerically, or quantified with numbers.

near impossible to confirm that she is the "most beautiful" or something along those lines, considering the amount of people that weren't in the competition.

"Most beautiful" exists only as an ideal. And most of the women that I see on in pageants are not beautiful. They are plasticized dolls -or that's what they look like.

Other than that, I don't see any problems in the general premise.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:01:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 5:57:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:55:40 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:35:18 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:29:56 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:16:42 PM, YYW wrote:
Let us all reflect, for a moment, on how absurd pageant culture is, how absurd the Miss America event is, how absurd it is for people to be offended that a non-white girl won, etc. It's not that I think the pageant is morally or ethically base. I don't. I only think it's absurd in totality.

The only absurd part that I can see is the fact that it's statistically

Let me just stop you there. Math and the aesthetic beauty of human beings have nothing to do with one another.
Did you say aesthetic beauty aesthetics apply to objects not people.

No, I said that human beautify can't be statistically, numerically, or quantified with numbers.
Again "aesthetic" applies to objects. Also it applies to how something 'accents' the surrounding area
near impossible to confirm that she is the "most beautiful" or something along those lines, considering the amount of people that weren't in the competition.

"Most beautiful" exists only as an ideal. And most of the women that I see on in pageants are not beautiful. They are plasticized dolls -or that's what they look like.

Other than that, I don't see any problems in the general premise.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:05:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 6:01:42 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:57:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:55:40 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:35:18 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:29:56 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:16:42 PM, YYW wrote:
Let us all reflect, for a moment, on how absurd pageant culture is, how absurd the Miss America event is, how absurd it is for people to be offended that a non-white girl won, etc. It's not that I think the pageant is morally or ethically base. I don't. I only think it's absurd in totality.

The only absurd part that I can see is the fact that it's statistically

Let me just stop you there. Math and the aesthetic beauty of human beings have nothing to do with one another.
Did you say aesthetic beauty aesthetics apply to objects not people.

No, I said that human beautify can't be statistically, numerically, or quantified with numbers.
Again "aesthetic" applies to objects. Also it applies to how something 'accents' the surrounding area

lol

near impossible to confirm that she is the "most beautiful" or something along those lines, considering the amount of people that weren't in the competition.

"Most beautiful" exists only as an ideal. And most of the women that I see on in pageants are not beautiful. They are plasticized dolls -or that's what they look like.

Other than that, I don't see any problems in the general premise.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:05:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 6:01:42 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:57:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:55:40 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:35:18 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:29:56 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:16:42 PM, YYW wrote:
Let us all reflect, for a moment, on how absurd pageant culture is, how absurd the Miss America event is, how absurd it is for people to be offended that a non-white girl won, etc. It's not that I think the pageant is morally or ethically base. I don't. I only think it's absurd in totality.

The only absurd part that I can see is the fact that it's statistically

Let me just stop you there. Math and the aesthetic beauty of human beings have nothing to do with one another.
Did you say aesthetic beauty aesthetics apply to objects not people.

No, I said that human beauty can't be statistically, numerically, or quantified with numbers.
Again "aesthetic" applies to objects.

The word "aesthetic" literally means "concerned with beauty or appearances." But, in a way, pageants treat people like objects.

(Also, I realized that fvcking autocorrect put "beautify" instead of "beauty." That might have been one source of confusion.)

Also it applies to how something 'accents' the surrounding area

Yeah.

near impossible to confirm that she is the "most beautiful" or something along those lines, considering the amount of people that weren't in the competition.

"Most beautiful" exists only as an ideal. And most of the women that I see on in pageants are not beautiful. They are plasticized dolls -or that's what they look like.

Other than that, I don't see any problems in the general premise.

I might be* biased.

*invariably am
Tsar of DDO
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:06:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 5:08:37 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I think most people think, like me, think that a Miss America winner should be white. Most people, however, are cowards and won't say it.
No evidence for your claim. Other than that - why should she be white? America is not a country for whites only, "American" is NOT a white ethnicity or ANY ethnicity at all. So, why should she be white, huh?
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:08:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 6:06:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:08:37 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I think most people think, like me, think that a Miss America winner should be white. Most people, however, are cowards and won't say it.
No evidence for your claim. Other than that - why should she be white? America is not a country for whites only, "American" is NOT a white ethnicity or ANY ethnicity at all. So, why should she be white, huh?

Whites, in my experiences, are prettier than foreigns.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:10:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 6:08:48 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 6:06:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:08:37 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I think most people think, like me, think that a Miss America winner should be white. Most people, however, are cowards and won't say it.
No evidence for your claim. Other than that - why should she be white? America is not a country for whites only, "American" is NOT a white ethnicity or ANY ethnicity at all. So, why should she be white, huh?

Whites, in my experiences, are prettier than foreigns.
What does that have to do with the various non-whites who are in the competition? Because their ethnic group doesn't live up to your standards, it thus means none of the individuals belonging to that group do? Oh Ma'am.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:31:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 6:10:53 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/16/2013 6:08:48 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 6:06:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/16/2013 5:08:37 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I think most people think, like me, think that a Miss America winner should be white. Most people, however, are cowards and won't say it.
No evidence for your claim. Other than that - why should she be white? America is not a country for whites only, "American" is NOT a white ethnicity or ANY ethnicity at all. So, why should she be white, huh?

Whites, in my experiences, are prettier than foreigns.
What does that have to do with the various non-whites who are in the competition? Because their ethnic group doesn't live up to your standards, it thus means none of the individuals belonging to that group do? Oh Ma'am.

Not necessarily. The winner, the Indian chick, is hardly "beautiful." I mean...

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:37:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I usually think racism is exaggerated in america greatly, but idiots like the people that made the tweets mentioned in this blog need to be ostracized and/or heavily criticized by society. Some of the things they said were extremely ignorant, why would they be offended that an Indian won the pageant a few days after the 12th anniversary of 9/11, the fvcking Indians didn't do 9/11...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:39:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 6:37:05 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
the fvcking Indians didn't do 9/11...
Even if they had done it, only the actual criminals and their supporters should be hated. Judging an individual based on the ethnic/religious group he belongs to is idiotic.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:43:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 6:39:37 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/16/2013 6:37:05 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
the fvcking Indians didn't do 9/11...
Even if they had done it, only the actual criminals and their supporters should be hated. Judging an individual based on the ethnic/religious group he belongs to is idiotic.

I agree, I was just pointing that out. I would have no problem if a Saudi Arabian won either (15/19 of the hijackers were Saudi Arabians, contraire to the popular belief by the same people who are mad that an Indian won miss america that it was Iraqis), in fact it would be a good way of showing forgiveness. When you hold a grudge on a person or group of people, whether you like it or not, you share a connection with that person, a bond that is only breakable if you are mature and forgiving enough to break it.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:43:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 6:37:05 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
I usually think racism is exaggerated in america greatly, but idiots like the people that made the tweets mentioned in this blog need to be ostracized and/or heavily criticized by society. Some of the things they said were extremely ignorant, why would they be offended that an Indian won the pageant a few days after the 12th anniversary of 9/11, the fvcking Indians didn't do 9/11...

To be fair, 13.4 % of Indians are muslims.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:44:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 6:43:18 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 6:37:05 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
I usually think racism is exaggerated in america greatly, but idiots like the people that made the tweets mentioned in this blog need to be ostracized and/or heavily criticized by society. Some of the things they said were extremely ignorant, why would they be offended that an Indian won the pageant a few days after the 12th anniversary of 9/11, the fvcking Indians didn't do 9/11...

To be fair, 13.4 % of Indians are muslims.

I have a very Christopher-Hitchens esque view on religion, so that isn't relevant to me.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 6:45:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 6:44:35 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 9/16/2013 6:43:18 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 6:37:05 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
I usually think racism is exaggerated in america greatly, but idiots like the people that made the tweets mentioned in this blog need to be ostracized and/or heavily criticized by society. Some of the things they said were extremely ignorant, why would they be offended that an Indian won the pageant a few days after the 12th anniversary of 9/11, the fvcking Indians didn't do 9/11...

To be fair, 13.4 % of Indians are muslims.

I have a very Christopher-Hitchens esque view on religion, so that isn't relevant to me.

Which is?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 7:27:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 6:43:18 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 6:37:05 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
I usually think racism is exaggerated in america greatly, but idiots like the people that made the tweets mentioned in this blog need to be ostracized and/or heavily criticized by society. Some of the things they said were extremely ignorant, why would they be offended that an Indian won the pageant a few days after the 12th anniversary of 9/11, the fvcking Indians didn't do 9/11...

To be fair, 13.4 % of Indians are muslims.

It's difficult to equate the word "fair" to anything you've said in this thread, LK.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 7:29:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 4:47:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
She's not even that pretty. Maybe it's just me, but white girls are generally a lot prettier than east Asians.

She's South Asian.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 8:27:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 7:29:01 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 9/16/2013 4:47:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
She's not even that pretty. Maybe it's just me, but white girls are generally a lot prettier than east Asians.

She's South Asian.

She was born in the eastern part of Asia; whether it's southern or northern is secondary.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2013 8:33:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/16/2013 8:27:50 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/16/2013 7:29:01 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 9/16/2013 4:47:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
She's not even that pretty. Maybe it's just me, but white girls are generally a lot prettier than east Asians.

She's South Asian.

She was born in the eastern part of Asia; whether it's southern or northern is secondary.

India is part of south Asia, not east Asia. Thailand is southeast Asia. China, Japan, Korea make up east Asia.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?