What is the electoral college?

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 11:58:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Inb4 google it

In America, each state has two senators in congress, and at least one house representitive. These numbers combined equal the electoral votes for their respective states. For example, Alaska has 1 congressman and 2 senators, so they have 3 votes, while Minnesota has 8 congressmen and 2 senators, so they have 10 votes.

There are 538 votes (DC gets 3, I believe).
So, whoever wins the state's popular vote (majority or plurality of votes) will win the state's electoral votes. Whoever gets the majority (or plurality?) of electoral votes wins the presidency.

I believe it stems from the idea that the elected representatives of the states elect the president, with each casting one vote.
My work here is, finally, done.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:22:34 PM
Basically, the founders assumed the general folk were too stupid, busy, or uninformed to actually decide who should be the President in a general election.

So each state gets a certain number of "votes" for who will be president. Civilians can also vote, but the results don't matter past whether they influence their particular electoral college members. The individuals who get to cast these votes are called "delegates"

It was also a way for states with very few people to have more say in the election (since it makes population matter less).

The number of votes for a state depends on how many people are in the state.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:49:22 PM
An incredibly poor system for modern day America
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 7:41:42 PM
At 9/17/2013 11:31:38 PM, Sitara wrote:
I do not understand this term.

The electoral college is a building where homosexuals go to socialize. It is a modern term for "bath house."
Tsar of DDO
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 11:33:48 PM
At 9/17/2013 11:58:35 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Inb4 google it

In America, each state has two senators in congress, and at least one house representitive. These numbers combined equal the electoral votes for their respective states. For example, Alaska has 1 congressman and 2 senators, so they have 3 votes, while Minnesota has 8 congressmen and 2 senators, so they have 10 votes.

So, whoever wins the state's popular vote (majority or plurality of votes) will win the state's electoral votes. Whoever gets the majority (or plurality?) of electoral votes wins the presidency.

I believe it stems from the idea that the elected representatives of the states elect the president, with each casting one vote.

i don't know if I approve of that. The people should decide.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 7:06:01 AM
At 9/18/2013 7:41:42 PM, YYW wrote:

The electoral college is a building where homosexuals go to socialize. It is a modern term for "bath house."

It's surprising the amount of politicians you see frequenting the place.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 10:34:51 AM
At 9/18/2013 11:33:48 PM, Sitara wrote:
At 9/17/2013 11:58:35 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Inb4 google it

i don't know if I approve of that. The people should decide.

Others have probably explained better than I, but the people do decide.
Originally, you voted for your congresspeople, who then vote for you for senators and president (senators was changed with an amendment to the Constitution).

That is the point of electing our representatives to government, to vote so we don't have to. Which is why we are not a democracy, but a representative democracy (aka a democratic republic).

Personally, I am null on the issue.
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 9:27:12 PM
At 9/19/2013 7:06:01 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 9/18/2013 7:41:42 PM, YYW wrote:

It's surprising the amount of politicians you see frequenting the place.

They like the personal touch.
Tsar of DDO