Total Posts:63|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What is your opinion on the death penalty?

immortalphoenix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 2:46:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I believe that the death penalty is cruel, useless, a waster of money, and hypocritical. That is my opinion, and anyone is welcome to refute it. I have just gotten started on this website so this is my first post, and I am liking it so far. Hope you like it, and please leave posts if you do.
immortalphoenix is a Beyblade lover, is homeschooled, and loves debating. Her biggest fear is tap-dancing ninjas, such as her brother. She also refers to herself in the third person.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 2:56:20 PM
I don't like the death penalty but if its like mass murder then yes that guy has to go
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
immortalphoenix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:08:01 PM
At 9/20/2013 2:56:20 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
I don't like the death penalty but if its like mass murder then yes that guy has to go

Not necessarily. They could just keep him in jail for the rest of his life, away from others.
immortalphoenix is a Beyblade lover, is homeschooled, and loves debating. Her biggest fear is tap-dancing ninjas, such as her brother. She also refers to herself in the third person.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:09:05 PM
At 9/20/2013 3:08:01 PM, immortalphoenix wrote:

Not necessarily. They could just keep him in jail for the rest of his life, away from others.

life in prison doesn't actually mean life in prison
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
immortalphoenix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:10:42 PM
At 9/20/2013 3:09:05 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

what do you mean?
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:12:18 PM
At 9/20/2013 3:10:42 PM, immortalphoenix wrote:
At 9/20/2013 3:09:05 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

what do you mean?

I mean a judge can't give a verdict "until he dies." life in prison only means 40-50 yrs. its called life in prison because most people don't live through the whole sentence
immortalphoenix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:22:53 PM
But judges can give out multiple sentences if that criminal has committed multiple crimes. That happens a lot, especially with child molesters and the like.

Gotta go now. I'll be back tomorrow or the next day though.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 3:36:59 PM
At 9/20/2013 2:46:38 PM, immortalphoenix wrote:
I believe that the death penalty is cruel, useless, a waster of money, and hypocritical. That is my opinion, and anyone is welcome to refute it. I have just gotten started on this website so this is my first post, and I am liking it so far. Hope you like it, and please leave posts if you do.

Most people justify state sanctioned killing of a human a very fair and prudent practice when the criminal has committed unspeakable, unthinkable, and heinous crimes. It is a form of eye for an eye justice.

The fundamental problem though:
1. If it is an available punishment it will be used at the discretion of the prosecution, judge, or what ever legal institution has the right to seek the death penalty.

2. That means it will be sought as a punishment against people who committed or did not commit the crime in question.

3. That means people who really are innocent will receive the death penalty.

4. Once the sentence is carried out, there is no possible way to rectify it with the individual.

The question I would ask of everyone, would you be willing to keep the death penalty as an optional punishment, if your loved one was one of the suspected 10 individuals who were put to death since 1989 who really have good evidence that makes it very probable that they did not commit the crime they were found guilty of.

Those 10 people could be alive today and out of jail.

http://listverse.com...

Is it still worth the death penalty if one of these guys were your brother or father? Does satisfying the feeling of revenge or eye for an eye justice much better than the non-feeling you may have of the state sanctioned killing of these guys?

We would be a much more peaceful society if everyone answered, "no it is not worth it"

People can be locked up until dead. There are punishments of life sentences for each person killed that can not be served consecutively. The people who commit horrible crimes can be taken away off the street where they can never hurt anyone again.

Again, is it worth it to kill an innocent guy just so you can feel a little bit better?
immortalphoenix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 5:50:38 PM
I do suppose you're right. Thanks for the info.
immortalphoenix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 5:50:38 PM
I do suppose you're right. Thanks for the info.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 1:25:28 PM
The fact is that the death penalty kills citizens who are innocent of the crimes they were convicted of. In most of the nations that use it, capital punishment is not limited to a penalty for murder.

We should be careful with how we citizens allow ourselves to be killed. The death penalty kills too many innocent persons to be safe for a society to operate.
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 5:31:22 PM
If we keep them alive, we, taxpayers, will be feeding them until the day they die. We will be giving them free housing. We will be giving them a TV(in most prisons). We will be giving them spending money to buy books and chips(in most prisons). If we kill them, we pay for the drugs, the needle, and the doctor. While this is too much, it is still better than paying for the other things I listed.
Personally, I support hanging or a firing squad(they are cheaper). I support keeping people on death row for as long as they do, six months to a year to make sure everything is correct, then put the bag over their head.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 11:26:58 PM
At 9/22/2013 5:31:22 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
If we keep them alive, we, taxpayers, will be feeding them until the day they die. We will be giving them free housing. We will be giving them a TV(in most prisons). We will be giving them spending money to buy books and chips(in most prisons). If we kill them, we pay for the drugs, the needle, and the doctor. While this is too much, it is still better than paying for the other things I listed.
Personally, I support hanging or a firing squad(they are cheaper). I support keeping people on death row for as long as they do, six months to a year to make sure everything is correct, then put the bag over their head.

You do realize that it costs more to put someone on death row than it does to put them in a maximum security prison for life, right?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 12:21:49 AM
Only when the punishment is scaled to match the crime, and only in cases of very strong evidence.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 7:57:01 AM

I feel the death penalty is against my moral ethics. I don't feel a person should feel righteous sentencing someone to death or enforcing the punishment.

I personally feel that they should be used for humane experiments that we would consider "safe" for testing on humans after prior testing. I think whatever the FDA considers appropriate for civilians should be used on life sentenced convicts first.

Do away with the death penalty, life in prison should have a purpose that enhances the possibility of contributing to the community where the crimes were committed.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 11:02:16 AM

According to the social contract;
"[Natural Rights.] All men have certain natural, essential, and inherent rights - among which are, the enjoying and defending life and liberty; acquiring, possessing, and protecting, property; and, in a word, of seeking and obtaining happiness...

[Society, its Organization and Purposes.] When men enter into a state of society, they surrender up some of their natural rights to that society, in order to ensure the protection of others; and, without such an equivalent, the surrender is void." ~ Article 2 & 3 of the NH Bill of Rights, June 2, 1784

Therefore I believe the purpose of incarceration is to rehabilitate criminals. When criminals cannot be rehabilitated they must be exiled or executed. In the modern era life in prison can serve as an alternative to exile. The sentence should never exceed the societal protection is provides. For example; a life should only be taken to save a life. If the killer is not likely to kill again, they should not be executed, but if it is inevitable that they will kill again than they should be executed.

I believe life in prison is more cruel and unusual than execution. As General John Stark said "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 11:04:04 AM
At 9/20/2013 3:36:59 PM, slo1 wrote:

Most people justify state sanctioned killing of a human a very fair and prudent practice when the criminal has committed unspeakable, unthinkable, and heinous crimes. It is a form of eye for an eye justice.

1. If it is an available punishment it will be used at the discretion of the prosecution, judge, or what ever legal institution has the right to seek the death penalty.

2. That means it will be sought as a punishment against people who committed or did not commit the crime in question.

4. Once the sentence is carried out, there is no possible way to rectify it with the individual.

The question I would ask of everyone, would you be willing to keep the death penalty as an optional punishment, if your loved one was one of the suspected 10 individuals who were put to death since 1989 who really have good evidence that makes it very probable that they did not commit the crime they were found guilty of.

Is it still worth the death penalty if one of these guys were your brother or father? Does satisfying the feeling of revenge or eye for an eye justice much better than the non-feeling you may have of the state sanctioned killing of these guys?

We would be a much more peaceful society if everyone answered, "no it is not worth it"

People can be locked up until dead. There are punishments of life sentences for each person killed that can not be served consecutively. The people who commit horrible crimes can be taken away off the street where they can never hurt anyone again.

Again, is it worth it to kill an innocent guy just so you can feel a little bit better?

That is why the prosecution must prove the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 11:39:03 AM
But 'an eye for an eye' is perhaps exactly what, in the mass murderer's mind, they are doing with society.. When the distinction is not whether they can harm people again, but whether it's fair-- ie, revenge, basically, this is where it becomes dangerous, and where society begins committing exactly the offense it's claiming to be against.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 1:14:28 PM

I can just as easily ask you if you're okay with imprisonment over death if it's your family members that these animals kill when they are paroled/escape/even still in prison, and to be sure, the number of innocents killed in those kinds of scenarios are far greater than 10 (which is assuming all those people are innocent...which they arent) you cite.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 1:18:11 PM
I believe that the death penalty is cruel,

What does "cruel" mean? Why should we value your arbitrary standard in matters of public safety?

useless,

Permanently taking a murderer out of commission is useless in your opinion?

a waster of money,

Well, the studies saying so are often problematic, but I can't argue the current system in the US is not inefficient.

and hypocritical.

This is an argument I've never understood. Is it hypocritical to imprison a kidnapper as well? Or to fine a thief? How does physical similarity between crime and punishment equate to moral similarity?

That is my opinion, and anyone is welcome to refute it. I have just gotten started on this website so this is my first post, and I am liking it so far. Hope you like it, and please leave posts if you do.

I'll debate you or anyone else on this topic if anyone wants to
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 1:38:24 PM
At 9/23/2013 1:18:11 PM, thett3 wrote:

What does "cruel" mean? Why should we value your arbitrary standard in matters of public safety?

useless,

a waster of money,

Well, the studies saying so are often problematic, but I can't argue the current system in the US is not inefficient.

and hypocritical.

This is an argument I've never understood. Is it hypocritical to imprison a kidnapper as well? Or to fine a thief? How does physical similarity between crime and punishment equate to moral similarity?

That is my opinion, and anyone is welcome to refute it. I have just gotten started on this website so this is my first post, and I am liking it so far. Hope you like it, and please leave posts if you do.

I'd love to. I haven't debated formally since forever, was looking for a decent debate. :-)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 1:42:51 PM
At 9/23/2013 1:38:24 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 9/23/2013 1:18:11 PM, thett3 wrote:

useless,

a waster of money,

and hypocritical.

I'd love to. I haven't debated formally since forever, was looking for a decent debate. :-)

Sweet. PM me and we'll work out the deats
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 4:20:12 PM
At 9/23/2013 11:04:04 AM, DanT wrote:

That is why the prosecution must prove the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Yes, but it is not fail proof and you can not give someone their life back after taking it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 4:23:37 PM
Tsar of DDO
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 4:25:34 PM
At 9/23/2013 1:14:28 PM, thett3 wrote:

I can just as easily ask you if you're okay with imprisonment over death if it's your family members that these animals kill when they are paroled/escape/even still in prison, and to be sure, the number of innocents killed in those kinds of scenarios are far greater than 10 (which is assuming all those people are innocent...which they arent) you cite.

Whether the victims are my loved ones or people I don't know, the argument is the same. By gaining the feeling of eye for an eye vengeance in that particular case, it means an innocent person will be put to death somewhere some time. I'm not willing to live with that, regardless of who the victim is. (those 10 are not all innocent, but there are high probability with the evidence that some of them are innocent and are now dead, killed by you and I who allow this to happen)
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 4:28:03 PM
At 9/23/2013 12:21:49 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
Only when the punishment is scaled to match the crime, and only in cases of very strong evidence.

You put all these constraints on it that are not realistic. Only in case of very strong evidence is not a pre-requisition of seeking the death penalty. How would you codify that into law?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 4:30:36 PM
At 9/22/2013 5:31:22 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

If you are not willing to pay to keep harmful people out of society then what exactly are you willing to pay for?

Your statement is so wrong on so many levels, it shows you don't have a good understanding of the legal system. 6 months? really?
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 4:42:36 PM
At 9/23/2013 4:20:12 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 9/23/2013 11:04:04 AM, DanT wrote:

Yes, but it is not fail proof and you can not give someone their life back after taking it.

You can't give the time served back either.