Jump to topic:

Thank you Ted Cruz, true hero!

Izayah003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 8:14:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
He has just made sure that dems take back the house and keep the senate come 2014, and has made sure that the Tea party is going down in a huge ball of flames, Ted cruz, you're my hero, and can you read "Cat in the hat" next, I love that one.
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 8:18:00 PM
Lol I doubt that. What makes you think Cruz has single handedly ruined Republican chances for 2014?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Izayah003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 8:56:52 PM
At 9/24/2013 8:18:00 PM, thett3 wrote:
Lol I doubt that. What makes you think Cruz has single handedly ruined Republican chances for 2014?

He is just the tip of the iceberg. When voters go to the polls they look at whats been going on, and here is the facts that they will see and remember.

1. Since taking over the house in 2010, Republicans have not put forth any legislation on jobs. Instead they have voted over 40 times to repeal a law that was not only found to be constitutional, but here to stay. They wasted millions of tax payer dollars to do so, yet says that Obamacare will waste tax payer dollars. .

2. Since 2009, Republicans in the senate have filibustered everything that came before them, even bills that they themselves co-sponsored. They have abused the filibuster more then any body in history combined. They filibustered votes to fund aid to those who got sick during 9/11, they have filibustered jobs bills, even aid to states hit by Sandy.

3. The tea Party has been re-branded as the American Taliban, and not just by liberals, they have even driven away many of the independent vote as well, and even some of the republican base. They have shown that they would rather see this country burn to make sure Obama fails. No matter what the topic is, because Obama supports it, it is no good.

4. Ted Cruz, is on the senate floor right now wasting tax payer dollars reading "green eggs and ham", all he is doing is showing just how out there the republican party has become.

Let's for a second look at what conservatives have tried to pass into law.

1. Repeal of Obamacare
2. Anti-Abortion Laws
3. Voter Laws to suppress the vote
4. passing budget bills that would privatize social security, end medicaid, and turn medicare into a voucher program.

yet for years these same people have said "where are the jobs?" and then "jobs,jobs, jobs" and yet don't do anything towards getting anyone to work.

Let's even look at the hypocrisy within the conservative party.

Since Obama took office, a good majority of conservatives have claimed that he was not an american, because his father was born in a different country, even though his mother was white born in Kansas. Ted Cruz was one of these who championed that, but now that he wants to be PotUS, so even though he was born in Canada, his mother was born in the US he should be able to run for PotUS..

They want to repeal Obamacare, saying that it will hurt the economy, saying that it will be the doom of this country, that it won't work, so they do all they can to defund and sabotage Obamacare, then turn around and attacks Obama and dems for Obamacare not working.... (that's like me walking by your house, and then telling you that your house is not safe, it could catch on fire, then setting it on fire, then telling the owners, "told ya so")

These are just a few of the things that will be pointed out, can't be refuted rationally, and won't be forgotten about when people go to the polls.....
"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest." - Abraham Lincoln
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 9:06:25 PM
At 9/24/2013 8:56:52 PM, Izayah003 wrote:

He is just the tip of the iceberg. When voters go to the polls they look at whats been going on, and here is the facts that they will see and remember.

1. Since taking over the house in 2010, Republicans have not put forth any legislation on jobs. Instead they have voted over 40 times to repeal a law that was not only found to be constitutional, but here to stay. They wasted millions of tax payer dollars to do so, yet says that Obamacare will waste tax payer dollars. .

2. Since 2009, Republicans in the senate have filibustered everything that came before them, even bills that they themselves co-sponsored. They have abused the filibuster more then any body in history combined. They filibustered votes to fund aid to those who got sick during 9/11, they have filibustered jobs bills, even aid to states hit by Sandy.

3. The tea Party has been re-branded as the American Taliban, and not just by liberals, they have even driven away many of the independent vote as well, and even some of the republican base. They have shown that they would rather see this country burn to make sure Obama fails. No matter what the topic is, because Obama supports it, it is no good.

4. Ted Cruz, is on the senate floor right now wasting tax payer dollars reading "green eggs and ham", all he is doing is showing just how out there the republican party has become.

1. Repeal of Obamacare
2. Anti-Abortion Laws
4. passing budget bills that would privatize social security, end medicaid, and turn medicare into a voucher program.

yet for years these same people have said "where are the jobs?" and then "jobs,jobs, jobs" and yet don't do anything towards getting anyone to work.

Since Obama took office, a good majority of conservatives have claimed that he was not an american, because his father was born in a different country, even though his mother was white born in Kansas. Ted Cruz was one of these who championed that, but now that he wants to be PotUS, so even though he was born in Canada, his mother was born in the US he should be able to run for PotUS..

They want to repeal Obamacare, saying that it will hurt the economy, saying that it will be the doom of this country, that it won't work, so they do all they can to defund and sabotage Obamacare, then turn around and attacks Obama and dems for Obamacare not working.... (that's like me walking by your house, and then telling you that your house is not safe, it could catch on fire, then setting it on fire, then telling the owners, "told ya so")

These are just a few of the things that will be pointed out, can't be refuted rationally, and won't be forgotten about when people go to the polls.....

Well I see no need to refute your arguments about Republicans being useless because I basically agree, but I'd like to point out that midterm electorates are always more white, older and more conservative than presidential ones. I see it as a status quo election I doubt seriously that either chamber will change hands. Remember also that Obama's major legislative achievement is wildly unpopular and his approval ratings are way down...very gloomy signs for the party of the president when historically they rarely perform well in these elections. If it weren't for the uselessness of congressional Republicans this climate would be solidly GOP leaning. We'll see how it goes in 2014.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 9:08:33 PM
Ted Cruz annoys the sh!t out of me.... the tea party is irritating, but Cruz is just about the most politically unsettling creature ever to disgrace my television screen.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 9:15:25 PM
At 9/24/2013 9:08:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
Ted Cruz annoys the sh!t out of me.... the tea party is irritating, but Cruz is just about the most politically unsettling creature ever to disgrace my television screen.

I think he's funny as sh!t, for exactly the reasons you're describing
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Izayah003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 9:15:36 PM
At 9/24/2013 9:06:25 PM, thett3 wrote:

1. Repeal of Obamacare
2. Anti-Abortion Laws

Well I see no need to refute your arguments about Republicans being useless because I basically agree, but I'd like to point out that midterm electorates are always more white, older and more conservative than presidential ones. I see it as a status quo election I doubt seriously that either chamber will change hands. Remember also that Obama's major legislative achievement is wildly unpopular and his approval ratings are way down...very gloomy signs for the party of the president when historically they rarely perform well in these elections. If it weren't for the uselessness of congressional Republicans this climate would be solidly GOP leaning. We'll see how it goes in 2014.

As always Thett, I enjoy reading your responses, and yes i do agree that in history midterms have been that way, however there has been some change in thinking of people, to say that Obamacare is widely unpopular is stretching it, widely unknown and misrepresented by the republican party would be a better statement.

I even agree that it isn't perfect, but to just repeal it is stupid, newest polls show that a majority of people don't want to see Obamacare repealed . It's the law of the land. what i am saying is what will be portrayed is the republican party having done nothing for this country in the past 4 years. this last election they even lost seats in the house, not enough to lose control, but they don't have the tea party drive they had 4 years ago, would you agree?

So while 4 years ago, they had rhetoric to run on, they have nothing this time, and have to answer for being the "party of No" and also the republican party is falling a part, they will be too busy fighting the tea party to fight their dem opponents. basically the tea party have become to the house and senate, as Ron Paul was to the presidential elections..lmao
Izayah003
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 9:17:14 PM
At 9/24/2013 9:08:33 PM, 000ike wrote:

yeah but today i heard the greatest thing i ever heard, just when i thought i had seen it all, someone on the news says these words "we take you now to Sen Ted Cruz on the senate floor, who is reading Green eggs and Ham"
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 9:19:53 AM
Fun fact, Ted Cruz is a Princeton Hall of Fame Debater. He has three separate mentions there.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 2:26:49 PM
At 9/25/2013 12:49:49 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
This brand of blind and idiotic partisanship by people like the OP wouldn't occur if we had runoff electons... tsk tsk tsk

by people like the OP,....not by people like Ted Cruz?

For someone who repudiates blind partisanship or ideological zealotry, your critiques seem to be both blindly partisan and strongly zealotic.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 2:27:42 PM
At 9/25/2013 9:19:53 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Fun fact, Ted Cruz is a Princeton Hall of Fame Debater. He has three separate mentions there.

and yet, for all it's worth, he's still a moron. Even Republicans don't like him
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 2:34:33 PM
At 9/25/2013 2:26:49 PM, 000ike wrote:
This brand of blind and idiotic partisanship by people like the OP wouldn't occur if we had runoff electons... tsk tsk tsk

He's a politician, one would assume he is enabled by people who are blindly partisan and also idiotic, like the OP. Of course since you are blindly partisan yourself it is instinctual to be on the defensive that my criticism is exclusive to the left and democrats.

For someone who repudiates blind partisanship or ideological zealotry, your critiques seem to be both blindly partisan and strongly zealotic.

I am an outspoken critic of both the republican and democrat party, it's also odd that you are critiquing my critique when you have revealed your own partisanship via the pointed statement you made about Ted Cruz. Of course you will defend your criticism of his debating style and technique on purely professional grounds, of course it has nothing to do with your own partisanship. Of course Ted Cruz annoys you, maybe he does annoy you because of his speech style, but he also annoys you because as the primary debater and spokesman for Libertarian-Republicans (besides maybe Rand Paul, who I am on the fence about atm) he commonly states things that contradict your own ideology.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 2:43:05 PM
At 9/25/2013 2:27:42 PM, 000ike wrote:

and yet, for all it's worth, he's still a moron. Even Republicans don't like him

The republican party in general is a mess at the moment, there are 2-3 different voting blocks/factions in the Republican party, which is the main reason why no bill can get through the Republican dominated house, not because they are the party of "no", but primarily because there is the Moderate Republican Faction (Chris Christie being an example), Conservative Republicans (The largest faction, not overwhelmingly though, examples being McCain, Paul Ryan, etc.), and Libertarian Republicans (Rand Paul being an example, supposedly). Democrats pose a more united front, and therefore are more efficient in their democratically controlled Senate. Once again, if we had runoff elections this crisis in the Republican party would end, as they would probably just split off in to factions, the Conservative Party, Libertarian, and the Democrats might split in to Moderates and a Socialist party.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 2:46:06 PM
At 9/25/2013 2:34:33 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

He's a politician, one would assume he is enabled by people who are blindly partisan and also idiotic, like the OP. Of course since you are blindly partisan yourself it is instinctual to be on the defensive that my criticism is exclusive to the left and democrats.

I am an outspoken critic of both the republican and democrat party, it's also odd that you are critiquing my critique when you have revealed your own partisanship via the pointed statement you made about Ted Cruz. Of course you will defend your criticism of his debating style and technique on purely professional grounds, of course it has nothing to do with your own partisanship. Of course Ted Cruz annoys you, maybe he does annoy you because of his speech style, but he also annoys you because as the primary debater and spokesman for Libertarian-Republicans (besides maybe Rand Paul, who I am on the fence about atm) he commonly states things that contradict your own ideology.

If Ted Cruz annoyed me so much simply because he has an (R) by his name, one would think I would at least mention a notable slew of people with that same description..... essentially what I'm saying is that your accusation makes no sense. Ted Cruz annoys me because his purpose in life seems to throw a monkey wrench in the legislative process, tampering with laws that have been legitimized by all 3 freakin branches of government, and grand standing in the senate chamber for no reason whatsoever than to promote himself and his politically ill-mannered constituency. Even his face pisses me off... it has nothing to do with partisanship and it has everything to do with his feckless obstruction.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 3:07:14 PM
At 9/25/2013 2:46:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/25/2013 2:34:33 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

If Ted Cruz annoyed me so much simply because he has an (R) by his name, one would think I would at least mention a notable slew of people with that same description..... essentially what I'm saying is that your accusation makes no sense. Ted Cruz annoys me because his purpose in life seems to throw a monkey wrench in the legislative process, tampering with laws that have been legitimized by all 3 freakin branches of government, and grand standing in the senate chamber for no reason whatsoever than to promote himself and his politically ill-mannered constituency. Even his face pisses me off... it has nothing to do with partisanship and it has everything to do with his feckless obstruction.

As you mentioned, he very will might just be appeasing his constituency. It is the responsibility of senators and reps to represent their constituency, and obviously when mid terms come up next year, we will see whether he has done this or not. If he has and is re elected again, he is simply doing his job. It doesn't matter if his constituency were a group of radical skinheads, if he wants to be re elected he better be preaching for white christian supremacy, or he will get ousted in elections. It is not the responsibility of a congressman/congresswoman to project their moral ideals and values on others, it is their responsibility to represent their constituents and vote according to what said constituents would want them to vote for.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 6:49:55 PM

Princeton must have really lowered their standards
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 7:52:13 PM

List of jobs bills passed by the Republican House:
Review of Federal Regulations
H.Res. 72 - Passed by the House (391-28) on February 11, 2011

Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act
H.R. 872 - Senate has taken no action to date

Energy Tax Prevention Act
H.R. 910 - Senate has taken no action to date

Disapproval of FCC's Net Neutrality Regulations
H.J.Res. 37 - Senate has blocked a companion measure by a vote of 46-52

Clean Water Cooperative Federalism Act
H.R. 2018 - Senate has taken no action to date

Consumer Financial Protection & Soundness Improvement Act
H.R. 1315 - Senate has taken no action to date

Protecting Jobs from Government Interference Act
H.R. 2587 - Senate has taken no action to date

Transparency in Regulatory Analysis of Impacts on The Nation
H.R. 2401 - Senate has taken no action to date

Cement Sector Regulatory Relief Act
H.R. 2681 - Senate has taken no action to date

EPA Regulatory Relief Act
H.R. 2250 - Senate has taken no action to date

Coal Residuals Reuse and Management Act
H.R. 2273 - Senate has taken no action to date

Workforce Democracy and Fairness Act
H.R. 3094 - Senate has taken no action to date

Regulatory Accountability Act
H.R. 3010 - Senate has taken no action to date

Regulatory Flexibility Improvements Act
H.R. 527 - Senate has taken no action to date

REINS Act
H.R. 10 - Senate has taken no action to date

Farm Dust Regulation Prevention Act
H.R. 1633 - Senate has taken no action to date

Small Business Paperwork Mandate Elimination Act
H.R. 4 - Signed into law by the President on April 14, 2011

3% Withholding Rule Repeal
H.R. 674 - Signed into law by the President on November 21, 2011

Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act
H.R. 3630 - Senate has taken no action to date

U.S.-Colombia Trade Promotion Agreement Implementation Act
H.R. 3078 - Signed by the Preisdent on October 21, 2011

U.S.-Panama Trade Promotion Agreement Implementation Act
H.R. 3079 - Signed by the Preisdent on October 21, 2011

U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act
H.R. 3080 - Signed by the Preisdent on October 21, 2011

Southeast Arizona Resource Utilization & Conservation Act
H.R. 1904 - Senate has taken no action to date

The America Invents Act
H.R. 1249 - Signed into law by the President on September 16, 2011

Veterans Opportunity to Work Act
H.R. 2433 - Signed into law by the President on November 21, 2011

Small Company Capital Formation Act
H.R. 1070 - Senate has taken no action to date

Small Banks' Access to Capital Act
H.R. 1965 - Senate has taken no action to date

Entrepreneur Access to Capital Act
H.R. 2930 - Senate has taken no action to date

Access to Capital for Job Creators Act
H.R. 2940 - Senate has taken no action to date

Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act
H.R. 3012 - Senate has taken no action to date

Restarting American Offshore Leasing Now Act
H.R. 1230 - Senate has taken no action to date

Putting the Gulf of Mexico Back to Work Act
H.R. 1229 - Senate has taken no action to date

Reversing President Obama"s Offshore Moratorium Act
H.R. 1231 - Senate has taken no action to date

Jobs and Energy Permitting Act of 2011
H.R. 2021 - Senate has taken no action to date

North American-Made Energy Security Act
H.R. 1938 - Senate has taken no action to date

Budget for Fiscal Year 2012
H.Con.Res. 34 - Senate has not yet considered a budget of its own

http://runyan.house.gov...

1. Repeal of Obamacare
2. Anti-Abortion Laws

Obamacare hasn't been defunded yet, and it clearly isn't working. Premiums went up, not down. The majority of Americans oppose Obamacare, not just the GOP.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 9:24:01 PM
At 9/25/2013 7:52:13 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

Because you love censorship when it isn't done by the government, don't you?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 9:41:35 PM
At 9/25/2013 9:24:01 PM, drhead wrote:

That's not with this resolution does...
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 9:46:16 PM

....the fact that he's Canadian ...
Thank you for voting!
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 9:49:14 PM
At 9/25/2013 9:46:16 PM, TheHitchslap wrote:

....the fact that he's Canadian ...

No seriously, he cannot run because he is not a natural citizen of the US, he might turn into one, but he still wouldn't be able to run, US law requires you to be born in the US to run for President.

If in theory he was even successful at becoming president, he would be doing so illegally. Now sorry I'm re-reading what you said LOL I agree it wouldn't harm the GOP, but it harms him that's for sure.
Thank you for voting!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 9:49:28 PM
At 9/25/2013 6:49:55 PM, imabench wrote:

No, Ted Cruz is smart as hell, he just acts like an obnoxious moron to appeal to the base and build himself a network of support. And it's working like a charm
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 9:53:02 PM
At 9/25/2013 9:41:35 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

This is what you are blocking:

"On December 21, 2010, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) issued a net-neutrality rule which would prohibit Internet providers from deliberately slowing or blocking legal websites or Internet services because of concerns over bandwidth. The agency imposed fewer rules on mobile broadband networks, but required all broadband providers to provide more information about their services to subscribers, including information on actual download speeds."
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 10:03:59 PM
At 9/25/2013 9:53:02 PM, drhead wrote:

"On December 21, 2010, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) issued a net-neutrality rule which would prohibit Internet providers from deliberately slowing or blocking legal websites or Internet services because of concerns over bandwidth. The agency imposed fewer rules on mobile broadband networks, but required all broadband providers to provide more information about their services to subscribers, including information on actual download speeds."

The FCC shouldn't be regulating the internet. The internet is an engine of economic growth. The author of the resolution, Sen. Hutchison (R-TX) states: "There is no need for us to mess around with that kind of success... It is a success, and it doesn't need fixing."

I agree.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 10:28:23 PM
At 9/25/2013 10:03:59 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

The FCC shouldn't be regulating the internet. The internet is an engine of economic growth. The author of the resolution, Sen. Hutchison (R-TX) states: "There is no need for us to mess around with that kind of success... It is a success, and it doesn't need fixing."

I agree.

They are not regulating the Internet, they are preventing providers of Internet access from blocking legal websites. Blocking legal websites inhibits economic growth by putting ISPs in the position of gatekeeper. If allowed to do this, it's quite likely that these ISPs would give preferential treatment to their own services, which undermines the free-market principle of competition. Again, do you WANT this to happen? Furthermore, do you want to see parts of the Internet sold as packages (buy one package, get access to facebook, twitter, and google, buy this package and get access to youtube, etc)? Some people (like me) don't HAVE a second choice for Internet service, and it is in our best interests to make sure that our ISPs are not able to screw us over, since the ISP in our area essentially has a monopoly, and there is absolutely no chance in hell that we will be getting any sort of fiber-to-the-home service any time soon.
Wall of Fail

donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 10:48:07 PM

I feel you are cherry picking this statement...

It's not: which would prohibit Internet providers from deliberately slowing or blocking legal websites or Internet services

It's: which would prohibit Internet providers from deliberately slowing or blocking legal websites or Internet services because of concerns over bandwidth.

Whether or not that changes much is in the eye of the viewer. I however don't want my Internet Provider choosing where I can go by blocking and slower down completely legal websites. This isn't censorship, it's preventing Internet Providers from censoring what sites their users go to.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 11:17:43 PM
At 9/25/2013 9:49:28 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/25/2013 6:49:55 PM, imabench wrote:

No, Ted Cruz is smart as hell, he just acts like an obnoxious moron to appeal to the base and build himself a network of support. And it's working like a charm

acting stupid appeals to republicans? I never would have guessed

(sarcasm)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 11:54:36 PM
At 9/25/2013 10:48:07 PM, donald.keller wrote:

I feel you are cherry picking this statement...

It's not: which would prohibit Internet providers from deliberately slowing or blocking legal websites or Internet services

It's: which would prohibit Internet providers from deliberately slowing or blocking legal websites or Internet services because of concerns over bandwidth.

Whether or not that changes much is in the eye of the viewer. I however don't want my Internet Provider choosing where I can go by blocking and slower down completely legal websites. This isn't censorship, it's preventing Internet Providers from censoring what sites their users go to.

In my experiences, ISPs tend to do things because they think they can make an extra buck off of it. If you look at ISPs that implement data caps, their 'bandwidth concerns' that they are implementing them over, and the actual capacity of their network, you'll find that bandwidth concerns are often a trivial issue. If they actually have an issue, perhaps it could be resolved by reallocating some funding from administration costs to actually upgrading their infrastructure. The free market hardly works in the case of ISPs, considering the prohibitive capital costs of the infrastructure alone.

I can list off some of the crap that ISPs do when put in the gatekeeper position, such as:

Injecting ads into websites, and replacing existing ones with their own (as if the ludicrous amount you already pay isn't enough):
http://zmhenkel.blogspot.com...

Capping your broadband data use because they love your money, not you:
http://www.newamerica.net...

Fighting against city-owned ISPs, because they can't compete, and the last thing they want is for their customers to get decent service:
http://www.engadget.com...

I could add more. If these ISPs can't provide a decent service, they might as well allow city-owned ISPs to exist. The free market does apply to the public sector as well to an extent, and if one provides a better service, it will survive. If it happens to be the city-owned one, then too bad for the privately-owned ISP. I certainly won't miss them.
Wall of Fail

1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 2:19:27 PM
At 9/25/2013 10:28:23 PM, drhead wrote:
At 9/25/2013 10:03:59 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

"On December 21, 2010, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) issued a net-neutrality rule <strong><ins>which would prohibit Internet providers from deliberately slowing or blocking legal websites or Internet services</ins></strong> because of concerns over bandwidth. The agency imposed fewer rules on mobile broadband networks, but required all broadband providers to provide more information about their services to subscribers, including information on actual download speeds."

I agree.

They are not regulating the Internet, they are preventing providers of Internet access from blocking legal websites. Blocking legal websites inhibits economic growth by putting ISPs in the position of gatekeeper. If allowed to do this, it's quite likely that these ISPs would give preferential treatment to their own services, which undermines the free-market principle of competition. Again, do you WANT this to happen? Furthermore, do you want to see parts of the Internet sold as packages (buy one package, get access to facebook, twitter, and google, buy this package and get access to youtube, etc)? Some people (like me) don't HAVE a second choice for Internet service, and it is in our best interests to make sure that our ISPs are not able to screw us over, since the ISP in our area essentially has a monopoly, and there is absolutely no chance in hell that we will be getting any sort of fiber-to-the-home service any time soon.

So... You're afraid of your service provider blocking access to other service providers even though there are no other service providers? Further, you would rather a board of unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats being the internets gatekeeper? Internet regulation would stifle competition because it would force all ISPs to act alike rather than distinguish their services. Yes, they are preventing service providers from doing something as you said, and it is through regulations. And regulation is bad.