Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

If your gay, or interested...

comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 2:04:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
If your gay, or interested in how other people view gay relationships.

Check this out at 1:10

It is a show, meet the natives usa, where they take 5 people from diff culture and bring them to america.

They only know their little island and their simple life.
But asked about gay marriage...

About the Show

They are traditional hunters and farmers, wearing grass skirts and penis sheaths. They have no electricity or TV, and a very limited idea of the world beyond their tiny island until now.

It's time to MEET THE NATIVES: USA. Insightful, entertaining and unforgettable, the extraordinary journey of 5 men from the remote Pacific island of Tanna across the USA will force us to look at ourselves through brand-new eyes.

Why are we so obsessed with money and possessions? Why do we treat our pets better than some of our fellow citizens? What does "family" mean to us? What do we do with our elderly? How come we make all our important decisions in bars? And what's the point of ironing a shirt?
The Tanna tribe dances their way into America's hearts as they crisscross the country from high society Manhattan to the big sky of Montana. Whether it's mud baths and roller coasters in Orange County, CA, sharing a Thanksgiving feast in America's heartland, or touching snow for the first time, these tribesman spread their wisdom and kindness on their mission to meet the natives of the USA.

Tune in for the premiere of Meet the Natives: USA Sunday, November 29, at 9 E/P.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 2:11:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I only watched the first few minutes...

While this was certainly interesting , the reality is that we don't really need or care about the opinions of people from tribes far, far away. Some people might even consider them "savages." Their culture is entirely different from ours -- and that's the point. As you can see, they had no problem with gay relationships, but simply mentioned that the point of marriage was to bear children. However, we know this is not the case: Not all married couples can or choose to have children. Furthermore, since gay relationships already can and do exist (in the same fashion as heterosexual relationships), then the issue of marriage in this country is really about 2 things -- equality, and tax benefits and other legal protections... Neither of which is relevant to these people.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 2:12:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I do agree, though, that those are excellent discussion points.

The Western culture is really hilarious sometimes. Especially high society lol.
President of DDO
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 2:13:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 2:11:14 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I only watched the first few minutes...

While this was certainly interesting , the reality is that we don't really need or care about the opinions of people from tribes far, far away. Some people might even consider them "savages." Their culture is entirely different from ours -- and that's the point. As you can see, they had no problem with gay relationships, but simply mentioned that the point of marriage was to bear children. However, we know this is not the case: Not all married couples can or choose to have children. Furthermore, since gay relationships already can and do exist (in the same fashion as heterosexual relationships), then the issue of marriage in this country is really about 2 things -- equality, and tax benefits and other legal protections... Neither of which is relevant to these people.

Yeah but it was cool for people that have never seen it to accept it.

That was a chief that they asked. And he said that if there is love it is all good. Then shook their hands.

I just thought it was neat.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 2:15:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 2:12:19 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I do agree, though, that those are excellent discussion points.

The Western culture is really hilarious sometimes. Especially high society lol.

It is crazy how with one swoop they were ok with it.
It seems so taboo, but they were opened to answer the question. When told that gay people can adopt kids that were in need of a good loving home they were than ok with it.

Just crazy how they were so ok with it.
I think it has hep me a little in my quest to find the answer of "if i would support gay marriage or not"
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 2:25:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Gay marriage is probably one of the only things that I am 100% sold on, insofar as that I don't think there is any good argument at all whatsoever to be against it. Every single argument completely sucks and is completely non-sensical or bigoted, except for the argument that marriage in GENERAL (for both men and women) should have no legal bearing... which is also kind of silly in the sense that I don't think many people would agree to that. In that case, however, at least equality would prevail. Having one without the other is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's just as backwards as suggesting that blacks shouldn't be able to have the same legal status as whites or be afforded the same privileges (on public property). There is no difference. Any single conservative argument against gay marriage could be easily dismantled 1,2,3.
President of DDO
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 2:30:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Than, why do i feel so heavy on making a decision.

Maybe I am dumb.
Do you think that the libertarian way of explaining it is a form of cop-out?

Are you liberal if you believe in it?

Is there an conservative that does believe in it?
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 5:09:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 2:04:09 AM, comoncents wrote:
About the Show

They are traditional hunters and farmers, wearing grass skirts and penis sheaths. They have no electricity or TV, and a very limited idea of the world beyond their tiny island until now.

It's time to MEET THE NATIVES: USA. Insightful, entertaining and unforgettable, the extraordinary journey of 5 men from the remote Pacific island of Tanna across the USA will force us to look at ourselves through brand-new eyes.

Why are we so obsessed with money and possessions? Why do we treat our pets better than some of our fellow citizens? What does "family" mean to us? What do we do with our elderly? How come we make all our important decisions in bars? And what's the point of ironing a shirt?
The Tanna tribe dances their way into America's hearts as they crisscross the country from high society Manhattan to the big sky of Montana. Whether it's mud baths and roller coasters in Orange County, CA, sharing a Thanksgiving feast in America's heartland, or touching snow for the first time, these tribesman spread their wisdom and kindness on their mission to meet the natives of the USA.

Tune in for the premiere of Meet the Natives: USA Sunday, November 29, at 9 E/P.

Way to plagiarise the USA website.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 8:08:16 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 2:30:07 AM, comoncents wrote:
Is there an conservative that does believe in it?

Here, a conservative Christian none-the-less
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
LeafRod
Posts: 1,548
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 8:59:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 2:25:58 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Gay marriage is probably one of the only things that I am 100% sold on, insofar as that I don't think there is any good argument at all whatsoever to be against it. Every single argument completely sucks and is completely non-sensical or bigoted, except for the argument that marriage in GENERAL (for both men and women) should have no legal bearing... which is also kind of silly in the sense that I don't think many people would agree to that. In that case, however, at least equality would prevail. Having one without the other is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's just as backwards as suggesting that blacks shouldn't be able to have the same legal status as whites or be afforded the same privileges (on public property). There is no difference. Any single conservative argument against gay marriage could be easily dismantled 1,2,3.

Yep, I agree 100%.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 9:08:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 8:08:16 AM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/22/2009 2:30:07 AM, comoncents wrote:
Is there an conservative that does believe in it?

Here, a conservative Christian none-the-less

I don't think the want to abolish marriage as a state recognised things and instead make the legally binding one a civil union for all counts John. I'm in the same position.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 9:56:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 9:08:21 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/22/2009 8:08:16 AM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/22/2009 2:30:07 AM, comoncents wrote:
Is there an conservative that does believe in it?

Here, a conservative Christian none-the-less

I don't think the want to abolish marriage as a state recognised things and instead make the legally binding one a civil union for all counts John. I'm in the same position.

lol Marriage pretty much is a "civil union" if that's what you mean by a state funded coupling - if they want to call it a religious thing, it would be an illegal tax benefit :p I think that's what most people who use religious arguments are on marriage don't get.

Anyway, cool video, Common - I wanted to watch that show after seeing a commercial for it. Reminds me of that book with the Martian that comes down to observe human life :)
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 10:26:03 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
From a conservative who i spoke to, "Let's see. Traditionally, marriage can be annulled, if unconsummated. Consummation occurs when sperm enters the uterus. So, they are now saying that, if sperm enters the mouth or anus, that would consummate marriage? Not much risk in that, unless of course you count aids. Just imagine if fellatio actually constituted legal marriage. Everyone would be married. It wouldn't mean anything. They may as well just do away with marriage altogether. "

Not me, but what do you think.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 10:27:53 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 8:08:16 AM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/22/2009 2:30:07 AM, comoncents wrote:
Is there an conservative that does believe in it?

Here, a conservative Christian none-the-less

Wow, why?
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 10:38:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 10:27:53 AM, comoncents wrote:
At 12/22/2009 8:08:16 AM, johngriswald wrote:
At 12/22/2009 2:30:07 AM, comoncents wrote:
Is there an conservative that does believe in it?

Here, a conservative Christian none-the-less

Wow, why?

Read my debates, I have two on gay marriage and one on "The Bible clearly states that homosexuality is a sin"
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 10:48:28 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 10:26:03 AM, comoncents wrote:
From a conservative who i spoke to, "Let's see. Traditionally, marriage can be annulled, if unconsummated. Consummation occurs when sperm enters the uterus. So, they are now saying that, if sperm enters the mouth or anus, that would consummate marriage? Not much risk in that, unless of course you count aids. Just imagine if fellatio actually constituted legal marriage. Everyone would be married. It wouldn't mean anything. They may as well just do away with marriage altogether. "

Not me, but what do you think.

And he doesn't realise

A) People have sex outside marriage

and

B) Consummation only occurs in religious terms.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 10:52:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 10:48:28 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/22/2009 10:26:03 AM, comoncents wrote:
From a conservative who i spoke to, "Let's see. Traditionally, marriage can be annulled, if unconsummated. Consummation occurs when sperm enters the uterus. So, they are now saying that, if sperm enters the mouth or anus, that would consummate marriage? Not much risk in that, unless of course you count aids. Just imagine if fellatio actually constituted legal marriage. Everyone would be married. It wouldn't mean anything. They may as well just do away with marriage altogether. "

Not me, but what do you think.

And he doesn't realise

A) People have sex outside marriage

Just thought I'd interject - that would be an application of the is/ought problem; that may be the state of things as-is, but this man would likely say that it shouldn't be that way, and that it's immoral for it to be such a way.


and

B) Consummation only occurs in religious terms.

I'm assuming that you mean the consummation of a marriage. One question I've always had is, can a couple be religiously married without having to go through all the pomp of a formal ceremony? For example, could a boyfriend/girlfriend be considered a married couple simply by virtue of being together?
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 10:54:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I wonder why all those people that get divorced here in the USA don't realize that divorce ruined the "sanctity of marriage" a long time ago.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:11:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 10:26:03 AM, comoncents wrote:
From a conservative who i spoke to, "Let's see. Traditionally, marriage can be annulled, if unconsummated. Consummation occurs when sperm enters the uterus. So, they are now saying that, if sperm enters the mouth or anus, that would consummate marriage? Not much risk in that, unless of course you count aids. Just imagine if fellatio actually constituted legal marriage. Everyone would be married. It wouldn't mean anything. They may as well just do away with marriage altogether. "

Not me, but what do you think.

As usual, this is a terrible and non-sensical argument. Anything regarding annulments and consummation is from a RELIGIOUS standpoint - not a political one. Any religion can have any marriage laws they want. This is about legal equality. If the church doesn't want to allow gay marriage, than so be it. It wouldn't be the first time the church was wrong - and certainly won't be the last. Anyway, I would like for this person to explain to me who ever said that sperm entering a mouth or anus was consummation. Please. I'd love to hear it.

Furthermore, if the issue is that BJs and anal sex lead to AIDS, than obviously this person is an uneducated moron. Plenty of straight people have anal and oral sex! Not to mention that lesbians (the people for whom gay marriage is applicable) are the demographic who are LEAST LIKELY TO HAVE STDs -- so that entire argument fails. "Just imagine if fellatio actually consummated legal marriage?" WTF KIND OF STUPID IDIOT DO YOU KNOW, COMON?!?! Who ever said that?! No religion nor government has ever said that. Whoever this person is should come to DDO and have their a-ss handed to them. It'd be EASY. That person is straight up stupid.
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:49:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
ust imagine if fellatio actually constituted legal marriage. Everyone would be married.

I wish that were true.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 1:54:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
One question I've always had is, can a couple be religiously married without having to go through all the pomp of a formal ceremony? For example, could a boyfriend/girlfriend be considered a married couple simply by virtue of being together?
Which religion?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 8:21:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 11:11:40 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 12/22/2009 10:26:03 AM, comoncents wrote:
From a conservative who i spoke to, "Let's see. Traditionally, marriage can be annulled, if unconsummated. Consummation occurs when sperm enters the uterus. So, they are now saying that, if sperm enters the mouth or anus, that would consummate marriage? Not much risk in that, unless of course you count aids. Just imagine if fellatio actually constituted legal marriage. Everyone would be married. It wouldn't mean anything. They may as well just do away with marriage altogether. "

Not me, but what do you think.

As usual, this is a terrible and non-sensical argument. Anything regarding annulments and consummation is from a RELIGIOUS standpoint - not a political one. Any religion can have any marriage laws they want. This is about legal equality. If the church doesn't want to allow gay marriage, than so be it. It wouldn't be the first time the church was wrong - and certainly won't be the last. Anyway, I would like for this person to explain to me who ever said that sperm entering a mouth or anus was consummation. Please. I'd love to hear it.

Furthermore, if the issue is that BJs and anal sex lead to AIDS, than obviously this person is an uneducated moron. Plenty of straight people have anal and oral sex! Not to mention that lesbians (the people for whom gay marriage is applicable) are the demographic who are LEAST LIKELY TO HAVE STDs -- so that entire argument fails. "Just imagine if fellatio actually consummated legal marriage?" WTF KIND OF STUPID IDIOT DO YOU KNOW, COMON?!?! Who ever said that?! No religion nor government has ever said that. Whoever this person is should come to DDO and have their a-ss handed to them. It'd be EASY. That person is straight up stupid.

In response to you,

"This logic is backwards. The traditions I was speaking of are legal traditions. The questions here are not of sex. They are of marraige. Homosexuals cannot apply sperm to a womb, which legally consummates a marriage."

Not me but him.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 8:51:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I know you guys probably don't care, but I'm one of those Christian conservatives (notice I didn't insert conservative Christian) whom is against both homo and hetero marriage as they stand today.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 8:54:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 1:54:24 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
One question I've always had is, can a couple be religiously married without having to go through all the pomp of a formal ceremony? For example, could a boyfriend/girlfriend be considered a married couple simply by virtue of being together?
Which religion?

Christianity, since that seemed to be the topic of our discussion.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 10:09:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 1:55:09 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
first thought of this thread was CC coming out of the closet

Thanks, my family would love that.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:46:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 8:54:27 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/22/2009 1:54:24 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
One question I've always had is, can a couple be religiously married without having to go through all the pomp of a formal ceremony? For example, could a boyfriend/girlfriend be considered a married couple simply by virtue of being together?
Which religion?

Christianity, since that seemed to be the topic of our discussion.
Which sect?

It's hilarious that you think Christians agree with each other on marriage rules.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2009 11:58:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/22/2009 8:21:23 PM, comoncents wrote:

"This logic is backwards. The traditions I was speaking of are legal traditions. The questions here are not of sex. They are of marraige. Homosexuals cannot apply sperm to a womb, which legally consummates a marriage."

Not me but him.

There is absolutely nothing logically backwards about what I said. And what "legal traditions" is this person speaking of? First, homosexuals absolutely can apply sperm to a womb (via in vitro fertilization), and second, that is completely 100% BS. There is not one thing in the law that says a marriage needs to be consummated before it is legal.
President of DDO