Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

How do the USA's City Mayor elections run?

MattyB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 5:43:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm from the UK so much of my knowledge is based on films, and that's not in much detail. If I watch a US news item about an election, it assumes prior knowledge.

In terms of New York City, Boston or San Francisco (large cities);

How often are the elections held?
Can elections be held mid-term?
How are the votes counted? Are the cities split into smaller regions, like the presidential election?
Who is responsible for maintaining a fair vote, observing the voting process? Who counts the votes?

Who can run for mayor (and do they have to be part of a political party?)?
Do they require qualifications or work in certain lines of employment to run?
How much information is found out by media groups, what is disclosed to the public? Such as police records, etc?

Who funds the candidates in the election process?
How long does the period before the vote last (where speeches, discussions etc are held)?

Does the mayor receive any bonuses upon taking office, such as a house?
What other roles are there in the office (departments for different aspects of the city, such as environment or transport)?
To what extent is the mayor or mayor's office responsible for local law enforcement agencies, such as the NYPD? Or is it recognised as a separate entity?
What powers does the mayor have? How much can he/she do in a situation, and at what point does the state or federal government take over?

In the event of the death of a mayor, who takes up office? How long after is another election held (in general)?
Can a family member work in the mayor's office?

If the questions sound a bit odd, it's because there might be certain restrictions in the UK about similar stuff. If you can answer any questions, just quote it and write your answer underneath. Also, if you think anything else might be relevant or important, please add it in. Thanks!
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 7:42:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/26/2013 5:43:38 PM, MattyB wrote:
I'm from the UK so much of my knowledge is based on films, and that's not in much detail. If I watch a US news item about an election, it assumes prior knowledge.

In terms of New York City, Boston or San Francisco (large cities);

How often are the elections held?
Can elections be held mid-term?
How are the votes counted? Are the cities split into smaller regions, like the presidential election?
Who is responsible for maintaining a fair vote, observing the voting process? Who counts the votes?

Who can run for mayor (and do they have to be part of a political party?)?
Do they require qualifications or work in certain lines of employment to run?
How much information is found out by media groups, what is disclosed to the public? Such as police records, etc?

Who funds the candidates in the election process?
How long does the period before the vote last (where speeches, discussions etc are held)?

Does the mayor receive any bonuses upon taking office, such as a house?
What other roles are there in the office (departments for different aspects of the city, such as environment or transport)?
To what extent is the mayor or mayor's office responsible for local law enforcement agencies, such as the NYPD? Or is it recognised as a separate entity?
What powers does the mayor have? How much can he/she do in a situation, and at what point does the state or federal government take over?

In the event of the death of a mayor, who takes up office? How long after is another election held (in general)?
Can a family member work in the mayor's office?

If the questions sound a bit odd, it's because there might be certain restrictions in the UK about similar stuff. If you can answer any questions, just quote it and write your answer underneath. Also, if you think anything else might be relevant or important, please add it in. Thanks!

It varies from city to city!
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson