Jump to topic:

Political Obstruction

kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 12:21:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This health care overhaul is not perfect, and in no way am I defending it. I was intrigued to see how the Democrats are pinning the stalling of it's passing on a few lawmakers, namely Joe Lieberman. I will admit, I think that Lieberman is bitter, and just needs to resign himself. Just so happens that he is representing Connecticut, and a few insurance providers happen to reside in his state.

There are more obstructionists as it always is. There seems to always be some Congressman who flip flops when election season looms.

I love how the Senator from Minnesota cut this sourpuss off last week. He needs to be put in his place.

your thoughts on lawmakers who posture more for themselves than their constituents
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 12:31:36 PM
Lieberman is one of the few senators I respect. He's always done what he believes rather than what his party believes. What is the giant rush on pushing this bill? I believe it ought to be thoroughly examined and perfected.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 12:33:17 PM
At 12/23/2009 12:31:36 PM, johngriswald wrote:
Lieberman is one of the few senators I respect. He's always done what he believes rather than what his party believes. What is the giant rush on pushing this bill? I believe it ought to be thoroughly examined and perfected.

This isn't so much about him as it is about lawmakers holding up progress in order to settle personal scores, and I have no respect for him.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 12:35:02 PM
At 12/23/2009 12:33:17 PM, kelly224 wrote:

This isn't so much about him as it is about lawmakers holding up progress in order to settle personal scores, and I have no respect for him.

From what I saw on C-span the other day Lieberman's actually for the bill now, as it currently stands, though he said he would oppose any bad additions to it.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 12:35:12 PM

Lieberman is no different from any other politician who flip flops. Months ago he was in support of the public option now he isnt, just like a few other points he flip flopped on. There is no reason to to such haste on this bill I agree, but it is what it is.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 12:35:19 PM

So no senators have the best interest of the country in mind? It's just all personal scores?
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 12:35:53 PM
At 12/23/2009 12:35:02 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

From what I saw on C-span the other day Lieberman's actually for the bill now, as it currently stands, though he said he would oppose any bad additions to it.

He was bought off. Typical buisness as usual in my home city.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 12:36:24 PM
At 12/23/2009 12:35:19 PM, johngriswald wrote:

So no senators have the best interest of the country in mind? It's just all personal scores?

I didn't say all.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 12:38:36 PM
At 12/23/2009 12:35:53 PM, kelly224 wrote:

At least he isn't part of the larger conspiracy, right kelly?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 12:42:18 PM
At 12/23/2009 12:38:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/23/2009 12:35:53 PM, kelly224 wrote:

At least he isn't part of the larger conspiracy, right kelly?

They are all puppets for special interests. If you really want to reform Washington hold these lawmakers accountable. There needs to be some ego checking. Politicians believe they are untouchable in some instances.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 1:16:25 PM
Lieberman actually didn't ask for special favors, he wanted the public option taken out. This is completely different than those who only voted for favors. This was opposition on principle. That makes him one of the more respectable lawmakers.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 1:37:07 PM
At 12/23/2009 1:16:25 PM, mongoose wrote:
Lieberman actually didn't ask for special favors, he wanted the public option taken out. This is completely different than those who only voted for favors. This was opposition on principle. That makes him one of the more respectable lawmakers.

Really? That's funny, considering Lieberman only awhile ago was pounding on about how he believes in universal healthcare coverage!

Get real; Lieberman isn't a man of principle, he's a waffle interested in making a name for himself. And he isn't working on behalf of his constituents - his constituents don't agree with his policy. He's from Connecticut for God's sake.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 1:40:51 PM
The more obstructionists the better.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 2:10:15 PM
At 12/23/2009 1:37:07 PM, Volkov wrote:

Really? That's funny, considering Lieberman only awhile ago was pounding on about how he believes in universal healthcare coverage!

Get real; Lieberman isn't a man of principle, he's a waffle interested in making a name for himself. And he isn't working on behalf of his constituents - his constituents don't agree with his policy. He's from Connecticut for God's sake.

thanks....he was for the bill, and now he isnt as long as it doesn't have the public option....principle,yeah right.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 2:11:12 PM

He probably would. This viewpoint coming from someone with the FOX news icon as their pic.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 2:12:06 PM
At 12/23/2009 1:40:51 PM, Reasoning wrote:
The more obstructionists the better.

Yeah, especially when they stop people from getting services. It's fine as long as it doesn't directly affect you I suppose?
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2009 2:34:36 PM
At 12/23/2009 12:42:18 PM, kelly224 wrote:

Business as usual in the entire nation; indeed, the world. Government = corruption.

If you really want to reform Washington hold these lawmakers accountable.

LOL. How? Branding irons? Creative use of torture on individuals caught accepting bribes? Instituting the death penalty for bowing to the demands of special interest groups?

There is no cure. Government is unfortunately necessary, but it is also by nature both corrupt and corrupting. Talk of reform is wasted verbiage.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!