Jump to topic:

Dumbness

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 3:11:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The problem of dumbness is not that people are dumb, but that they insist upon being dumb. This is of the ego, something which wouldn't exist were we not in competition with each other.

No competition = no dumbness.

Think about it.
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 3:39:46 PM
I reserve the right to hurt myself for no reason at all.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 3:55:04 PM
You didn't say "Simon says". I only listen to Simon, you see.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 3:58:57 PM
Well we've established the motto upon which our new society will be sustained: "Simon says, Don't Hurt Yourself".
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 4:30:27 PM
At 9/30/2013 3:11:01 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
The problem of dumbness is not that people are dumb, but that they insist upon being dumb. This is of the ego, something which wouldn't exist were we not in competition with each other.

Think about it.

But seriously. If you're dumb, are you even aware of being dumb? How would you know? Maybe you're the dumb one, AD. And completely oblivious.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 4:33:02 PM
At 9/30/2013 4:30:27 PM, Naysayer wrote:
At 9/30/2013 3:11:01 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Think about it.

But seriously. If you're dumb, are you even aware of being dumb? How would you know? Maybe you're the dumb one, AD. And completely oblivious.

Nah, people know. It's evident in how they talk, justify their bullsh*t, etc.

I mean do you not have a fair idea of your intelligence relative to other people?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 4:33:56 PM
Do you think you're possibly the smartest person in the world only you haven't realized it, Naysayer? Or the dumbest?
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 4:47:45 PM
This is obviously in reference to our earlier debate, but I will wait for your response to say anything else, as you have proven to be an unpleasent person to disagree with.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 4:51:15 PM
J.K. Rowling actually wrote about this in The Casual Vacancy which is a great book that everyone should read.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 4:52:32 PM
Well maybe it relates slightly to you, but not just you, pretty much every-f*cking-body.

Maybe I just have a superiority complex, though :P
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 4:56:15 PM
At 9/30/2013 4:33:56 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Do you think you're possibly the smartest person in the world only you haven't realized it, Naysayer? Or the dumbest?

I don't know. I thought I did, but now I'm doubting myself. Maybe I really am the dumbness.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 5:09:39 PM
At 9/30/2013 4:58:59 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
In other words, if you doubt yourself you're dumb.

I highly disagree. I would say doubting is always good, we should always question what we know and what we don't know. In other words, I do not think you would be a very good objective indicator of your own intelligence, as if you claim you know you're an idiot, you're probably just being self depreciating, and if you claim you know you're a genius, you're probably just conceited. Being humble or self depreciative is OK to a point, but conceit=/=intelligence and self perception is not a good way to judge anything objectively about yourself or your intelligence.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 5:13:34 PM
At 9/30/2013 5:10:31 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Yeah, well you're wrong.

My point is (which you obviously either don't get or refuse to accept, or disagree with and won't justify why), it's irrelevant what you perceive yourself as. I think I'm sexy, just because I think I'm sexy, does that mean I will be more sexy to other people? No, my looks are for other people to judge and they won't think I'm more or less sexy based on my own perception of my sexiness.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 5:15:41 PM
Looks and intelligence are completely different things, dude. There IS objective intelligence, i.e., intelligence can always perform across the board where looks might not.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 5:18:39 PM
At 9/30/2013 5:15:41 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Looks and intelligence are completely different things, dude. There IS objective intelligence, i.e., intelligence can always perform across the board where looks might not.

Sexiness is somewhat based on mathematics and the symmetry of your face, so I would disagree with looks overall are objective. Also intelligence is not fully objective, what you and I define as intelligence might be completely different. Some people might say intelligence is simply being able to retain trivia/facts. Some might say it's memory based. Some might say it's your capacity to carry out critical thinking and to analyze information intelligently. It varies.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 5:26:53 PM
At 9/30/2013 5:24:29 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 9/30/2013 5:22:03 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Look.... trust me, man.

May I inquire as to why I should trust you?

I'm a very intelligent dude who loves everyone and is trying to save the world.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 5:32:57 PM
At 9/30/2013 5:26:53 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 9/30/2013 5:24:29 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 9/30/2013 5:22:03 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Look.... trust me, man.

May I inquire as to why I should trust you?

I'm a very intelligent dude who loves everyone and is trying to save the world.

I have no doubt about intentions, I do not believe anyone is inherently sinister, what I am worried about is what the result of your intentions would be if applied in the real world.