Jump to topic:

Why should copyrights extend so long?

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 6:04:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Originally, copyrights were supposed to expire after 28 years. Now, they are valid for the lifetime of the author, and then 70 years after death. Is this good policy?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
CarefulNow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 9:56:43 PM
At 10/1/2013 6:04:05 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Originally, copyrights were supposed to expire after 28 years. Now, they are valid for the lifetime of the author, and then 70 years after death. Is this good policy?

Assuming individual rationality, it would be most efficient for the copyright to last until the work would have been authored independently by someone else. That amounts to eternity in the case of, say, a novel, but far less than 28 or even 14 years in the case of the average technological patent. The only caveat is the deadweight loss associated with monopoly, which is why it might be better for the patent office to be converted into a cash prize office.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 11:08:25 PM
Simply put, there's no reason why they should.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 11:12:43 PM
At 10/1/2013 6:04:05 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

No, it's not. But don't worry, as soon as Mickey gets close to the border again, they'll overhaul the laws so that they last even longer.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!