Jump to topic:

Republicans strategy? - campaign for 2014

Wtnjetro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2013 4:29:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
with Obama refusing to budge on his health care issue and the Senate unwilling to go along with the defunding of it, what strategy? I suggest they should have avoided the shutdown issue and immediately began campaigning for next year telling the public that Obamacare won't work and the only strategy is to vote to get Republicans back in charge next year to hopefully eliminate parts of it.

a better strategy? what do people here think?
is what they are doing now any better than that?
Author of the book The Vast Wastelands of Unbelief published by Tate Publishing, frequent author of articles at www.lutheranscience.org
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2013 4:45:00 PM
At 10/4/2013 4:29:57 PM, Wtnjetro wrote:
with Obama refusing to budge on his health care issue and the Senate unwilling to go along with the defunding of it, what strategy? I suggest they should have avoided the shutdown issue and immediately began campaigning for next year telling the public that Obamacare won't work and the only strategy is to vote to get Republicans back in charge next year to hopefully eliminate parts of it.

A thought occurred to me...
Perhaps this shut down and defunding Obamacare is a ploy to shut the government down until October 17, when the debt cieling needs to be raised. At that point, the Republicans may have leverage again, and can try to force spending cuts then, by compromising by funding Obamacare while cutting other things.

However, I've heard the Obamacare defunding budget proposed last month actually increased overall budget, so I doubt that is what is occurring.
My work here is, finally, done.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2013 5:18:12 PM

That strategy will fall flat on its a**.

Putting all your chips into the 'Obamacare wont work and is bad' basket is suicidal since clearly people arent buying it. On the first day that people could sign up for it online, parts of the site crashed from state to state because the servers were overwhelmed with so much traffic. Its tough for Republicans to pitch that it wont work and will fail when even the Democrats' expectations of how many people would sign up were too low.

Obamacare would have to be a complete disaster for the GOP to gain any political ground off of it, and that most likely wont happen judging from how millions of people are flocking to it

That being said, 2014 is already lost..... The GOP killed a gun control bill with provisions that held 90% public approval just because a few hacks who are the NRA's b*tch didnt want to upset the NRA, the immigration reform bill is currently dead in the water, the GOP's obsession with repealing Obamacare has completely gridlocked Washington and everyone knows it, and finally the Tea Party faction has the GOP by the nutsack and is driving the party into the ground day by day.

The GOP should focus on kicking out the Tea Party hacks, ignore all the idiots who think the Tea Party is a good thing, and try to get their sh*t together for the 2016 election and try to find someone to go up against Hillary Clinton.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2013 12:50:30 PM

Obama is "refusing to budge" on a bill that passed through Congress, was signed by the executive, and ruled constitutional by the SCOTUS. Anyone who thinks that Obama should budge on this is essentially saying that they do not approve of the Constitution or the system of government that has presided over this nation for the past 200+ years.

The GOP needs to fight better fights. Health care reform has always been bi-partisan, and for the GOP to gridlock over this is not going to win them votes.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?