Total Posts:279|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The American rifle. Why do liberals hate it?

Juris_Naturalis
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 11:25:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Title pretty much says it all.

Why can't liberals understand that an AR15, functionally, is no different from a handgun. They both fire 1 round per pull of the trigger. Anyone can make any magazine size for either one. Most of the time the magazines are built around size constraints.

So really, what's the big deal? They're used in less crime than handguns. Is there a liberal that can give me a legitimate answer instead of blanket terms and phrases that are bull like "they're weapons of war" or "it's common sense" ?
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 11:30:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I imagine the argument is that someone doesn't need an AR15 to protect themselves when a smaller caliber firearm would be sufficient.

I personally don't feel safe with anything less than anti-aircraft and anti-tank weapons... But that's just me.
Debate.org Moderator
SalmanK
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 11:34:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The reason why most liberals hate the American rifle is because the usually hate who's behind it. In their minds, giving people guns is like turning them into the next Sandy Hook killers.They say that America would be safer if we banned guns outright.

Their position is laughable, though. First off, we know that, multiple times throughout human history, making something illegal usually increases demand for it. Like in the Prohibition era. Alcohol sales went up substansially, and crime went up as well. Secondly, it's funny how they apply so much vigor and effort into banning guns when they could be putting all of that energy into something like, perhaps, raising the quality of life in poorer areas so there would be more responsible gun owners and less gun nuts.
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 11:39:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Im gonna intervene here and clarify exactly what liberals feel about this issue since clearly that needs to be sorted out.....

Liberals do not hate old school hunting rifles, handguns, or shotguns..... Some do, but not most.

Most liberals hate semi-assault and assault weapons..... And an AR-15 is a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger..... To claim that it is no different then an average handgun is idiotic since it is literally classified as a semi-automatic weapon and can even be built to be fully automatic
http://en.wikipedia.org...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 11:59:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/13/2013 11:39:29 PM, imabench wrote:
Im gonna intervene here and clarify exactly what liberals feel about this issue since clearly that needs to be sorted out.....

Liberals do not hate old school hunting rifles, handguns, or shotguns..... Some do, but not most.

Most liberals hate semi-assault and assault weapons..... And an AR-15 is a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger..... To claim that it is no different then an average handgun is idiotic since it is literally classified as a semi-automatic weapon and can even be built to be fully automatic
http://en.wikipedia.org...

You monster!!

If my home is attacked by a stampede of elephants I will be left defenseless. First you'll take away my AR15 then you'll take away my M72. It's a slippery slope.

...

In all seriousness though, as someone who supports gun rights but is indifferent to the arguments largely I think the OP misrepresents this as Bench has pointed out. I happen to support ownership of defensive weapons and hunting weapons, but I don't see how an AR15 fits into either.
Debate.org Moderator
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:06:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/13/2013 11:39:29 PM, imabench wrote:
Im gonna intervene here and clarify exactly what liberals feel about this issue since clearly that needs to be sorted out.....

Liberals do not hate old school hunting rifles, handguns, or shotguns..... Some do, but not most.

Most liberals hate semi-assault and assault weapons..... And an AR-15 is a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger..... To claim that it is no different then an average handgun is idiotic since it is literally classified as a semi-automatic weapon and can even be built to be fully automatic
http://en.wikipedia.org...

If somebody takes away my AR-15 I'll just mow 20 people down with my car, after I throw 10 homemade Molotov cocktails at them. Or I'll simply bring 5 semi-automatic pistols or revolvers and shoot just as many people. Or maybe I can stick a bomb up my @ss and blow up a train, or even hijack a plane and fly it into a building, killing thousands of people. This is all if I'm a bad guy.

Really dude? If someone is willing to break the law by killing innocent people, they will probably have no problem breaking the law by attaining a gun illegally.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:11:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 12:06:23 AM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/13/2013 11:39:29 PM, imabench wrote:
Im gonna intervene here and clarify exactly what liberals feel about this issue since clearly that needs to be sorted out.....

Liberals do not hate old school hunting rifles, handguns, or shotguns..... Some do, but not most.

Most liberals hate semi-assault and assault weapons..... And an AR-15 is a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger..... To claim that it is no different then an average handgun is idiotic since it is literally classified as a semi-automatic weapon and can even be built to be fully automatic
http://en.wikipedia.org...

If somebody takes away my AR-15 I'll just mow 20 people down with my car, after I throw 10 homemade Molotov cocktails at them. Or I'll simply bring 5 semi-automatic pistols or revolvers and shoot just as many people.

Pause.

You realize that literally all of those things you mention are used almost entirely for other reasons besides killing people or spewing out gunfire, unlike the AR15, right?

Or maybe I can stick a bomb up my @ss and blow up a train, or even hijack a plane and fly it into a building, killing thousands of people. T

Both of which are illegal

Really dude? If someone is willing to break the law by killing innocent people, they will probably have no problem breaking the law by attaining a gun illegally.

Most criminals arent savvy masterminds with knowledge of the criminal underworld though..... Close to half of them are probably complete idiots who have no idea how to get an illegal AR-15 that doesnt involve using Google or Craigslist....

Gun laws and gun bans dont stand up very well against the will of criminal masterminds, but they sure as hell could thwart the will of an average idiot.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:46:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What do you think about the possession of tanks or nuclear weapons?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 3:17:53 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 12:06:23 AM, ironmaiden wrote:
Really dude? If someone is willing to break the law by killing innocent people, they will probably have no problem breaking the law by attaining a gun illegally.

If someone wants to break into your house all they have to do is learn how to pick locks. So I guess there is no reason to lock your door at night.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 3:46:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/13/2013 11:25:21 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

Why can't liberals understand that an AR15, functionally, is no different from a handgun. They both fire 1 round per pull of the trigger.

At 10/13/2013 11:39:29 PM, imabench wrote:
Most liberals hate semi-assault and assault weapons..... And an AR-15 is a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger

This, right here, is part of the breakdown of communication between the liberals who hate guns and those who are rabid pro-gunners (which is not to imply either of you are either of those things, or that the fault of ignorance I'm about to note is directed at imabench who, as a bench, is a wise and just bench).

Many people don't know enough about guns to know what features actually make guns more dangerous. One could ascribe this failing to them--but the gun manufacturers don't help the situation either. The AR-15 is usually a semi-automatic. In fact, since 1963 the gun, which is basically an M16, has been called an AR-15 by Colt only on semi-auto versions. Because it is a semi-automatic, it only fires one round per pull--not "a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger". HOWEVER, there ARE full-auto versions. It can also be converted far more easily than your average pistol (which is not, lest I get my throat jumped down, to imply that it's necessarily trivial). And its name is the "Assault Rifle - 15", despite the fact that being selective fire (generally with full-auto option) is part of the definition of assault rifle.

"Liberals" (and I use that in quotes, because it's used by the OP as a general term, as though all liberals think this way, despite that being not true) don't like the AR15, and similar weapons, because they look scary, and they look like their fully-automatic cousins--and most people who don't know much about guns don't understand the finer distinction between "semi-auto" and "full auto", they just have images of hundreds of spewed rounds flying through the air in their head. As noted the gun manufacturers don't help--nor does the fact that their "military" look DOES appeal to the more crazier members of society.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 3:52:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 3:46:47 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/13/2013 11:25:21 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

Why can't liberals understand that an AR15, functionally, is no different from a handgun. They both fire 1 round per pull of the trigger.


At 10/13/2013 11:39:29 PM, imabench wrote:
Most liberals hate semi-assault and assault weapons..... And an AR-15 is a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger



This, right here, is part of the breakdown of communication between the liberals who hate guns and those who are rabid pro-gunners (which is not to imply either of you are either of those things, or that the fault of ignorance I'm about to note is directed at imabench who, as a bench, is a wise and just bench).

Many people don't know enough about guns to know what features actually make guns more dangerous. One could ascribe this failing to them--but the gun manufacturers don't help the situation either. The AR-15 is usually a semi-automatic. In fact, since 1963 the gun, which is basically an M16, has been called an AR-15 by Colt only on semi-auto versions. Because it is a semi-automatic, it only fires one round per pull--not "a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger". HOWEVER, there ARE full-auto versions. It can also be converted far more easily than your average pistol (which is not, lest I get my throat jumped down, to imply that it's necessarily trivial). And its name is the "Assault Rifle - 15", despite the fact that being selective fire (generally with full-auto option) is part of the definition of assault rifle.

"Liberals" (and I use that in quotes, because it's used by the OP as a general term, as though all liberals think this way, despite that being not true) don't like the AR15, and similar weapons, because they look scary, and they look like their fully-automatic cousins--and most people who don't know much about guns don't understand the finer distinction between "semi-auto" and "full auto", they just have images of hundreds of spewed rounds flying through the air in their head. As noted the gun manufacturers don't help--nor does the fact that their "military" look DOES appeal to the more crazier members of society.

Oh, and apparently I'm mistaken--the AR stands for "Armalite Rifle". Huh--I always thought it did stand for Assault, but whoops. Still, it's a name that lends itself to misinterpretation...if you look for a definition of "Armalite", you'll see it referring to automatic weapons, though actually it's a trademark for ArmaLite the company, but again, still, it lends itself to letting people think it's a fully-automatic weapon.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Juris_Naturalis
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 6:31:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 3:52:12 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/14/2013 3:46:47 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/13/2013 11:25:21 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

Why can't liberals understand that an AR15, functionally, is no different from a handgun. They both fire 1 round per pull of the trigger.


At 10/13/2013 11:39:29 PM, imabench wrote:
Most liberals hate semi-assault and assault weapons..... And an AR-15 is a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger



This, right here, is part of the breakdown of communication between the liberals who hate guns and those who are rabid pro-gunners (which is not to imply either of you are either of those things, or that the fault of ignorance I'm about to note is directed at imabench who, as a bench, is a wise and just bench).

Many people don't know enough about guns to know what features actually make guns more dangerous. One could ascribe this failing to them--but the gun manufacturers don't help the situation either. The AR-15 is usually a semi-automatic. In fact, since 1963 the gun, which is basically an M16, has been called an AR-15 by Colt only on semi-auto versions. Because it is a semi-automatic, it only fires one round per pull--not "a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger". HOWEVER, there ARE full-auto versions. It can also be converted far more easily than your average pistol (which is not, lest I get my throat jumped down, to imply that it's necessarily trivial). And its name is the "Assault Rifle - 15", despite the fact that being selective fire (generally with full-auto option) is part of the definition of assault rifle.

"Liberals" (and I use that in quotes, because it's used by the OP as a general term, as though all liberals think this way, despite that being not true) don't like the AR15, and similar weapons, because they look scary, and they look like their fully-automatic cousins--and most people who don't know much about guns don't understand the finer distinction between "semi-auto" and "full auto", they just have images of hundreds of spewed rounds flying through the air in their head. As noted the gun manufacturers don't help--nor does the fact that their "military" look DOES appeal to the more crazier members of society.

Oh, and apparently I'm mistaken--the AR stands for "Armalite Rifle". Huh--I always thought it did stand for Assault, but whoops. Still, it's a name that lends itself to misinterpretation...if you look for a definition of "Armalite", you'll see it referring to automatic weapons, though actually it's a trademark for ArmaLite the company, but again, still, it lends itself to letting people think it's a fully-automatic weapon.

Armalite was the first manufacturer of the AR15, but then sold the patent to Colt. I guess the name just stuck.
Juris_Naturalis
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 6:35:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/13/2013 11:59:15 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 10/13/2013 11:39:29 PM, imabench wrote:
Im gonna intervene here and clarify exactly what liberals feel about this issue since clearly that needs to be sorted out.....

Liberals do not hate old school hunting rifles, handguns, or shotguns..... Some do, but not most.

Most liberals hate semi-assault and assault weapons..... And an AR-15 is a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger..... To claim that it is no different then an average handgun is idiotic since it is literally classified as a semi-automatic weapon and can even be built to be fully automatic
http://en.wikipedia.org...

You monster!!

If my home is attacked by a stampede of elephants I will be left defenseless. First you'll take away my AR15 then you'll take away my M72. It's a slippery slope.

...

In all seriousness though, as someone who supports gun rights but is indifferent to the arguments largely I think the OP misrepresents this as Bench has pointed out. I happen to support ownership of defensive weapons and hunting weapons, but I don't see how an AR15 fits into either.

An AR15 is as much a defensive weapon as it is a hunting rifle. There are several variants of the AR15 made specifically for hunting because they're lightweight, easy to use and fire an inexpensive round that can drop most game if you can shoot. Same thing for defensive purposes. They're light, low recoil (Unlike Uncle Biden's shotgun) and are very easy to use, and the ammo is on the cheaper side.
Juris_Naturalis
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 6:36:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 12:46:50 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
What do you think about the possession of tanks or nuclear weapons?

You're not serious right?
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 9:04:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/13/2013 11:25:21 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
Title pretty much says it all.

Why can't liberals understand that an AR15, functionally, is no different from a handgun. They both fire 1 round per pull of the trigger. Anyone can make any magazine size for either one. Most of the time the magazines are built around size constraints.

So really, what's the big deal? They're used in less crime than handguns. Is there a liberal that can give me a legitimate answer instead of blanket terms and phrases that are bull like "they're weapons of war" or "it's common sense" ?

The liberal government hates these guns because they fear the usage of them by us against them. They're scared that we might try to overthrow the government, so they try to ban as many as they can. That's really why they do it. They just politicize every gun crime in America to brainwash people like Imabench.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 9:25:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 9:04:11 AM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/13/2013 11:25:21 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
Title pretty much says it all.

Why can't liberals understand that an AR15, functionally, is no different from a handgun. They both fire 1 round per pull of the trigger. Anyone can make any magazine size for either one. Most of the time the magazines are built around size constraints.

So really, what's the big deal? They're used in less crime than handguns. Is there a liberal that can give me a legitimate answer instead of blanket terms and phrases that are bull like "they're weapons of war" or "it's common sense" ?

The liberal government hates these guns because they fear the usage of them by us against them. They're scared that we might try to overthrow the government, so they try to ban as many as they can. That's really why they do it. They just politicize every gun crime in America to brainwash people like Imabench.

Oh I see now,

Youre a complete idiot
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 9:28:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 6:35:13 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

An AR15 is as much a defensive weapon as it is a hunting rifle.

It really isnt..... An AR15 is literally a weapon of war that is standard issue to the US military and meant primarily to spew out as many rounds as possible by pulling the trigger only once.

Only a gun loving idiotic conservative hack (you fit the bill here perfectly Juris) would think that an AR15 is a reasonable gun to own for self defense or hunting.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ironmaiden
Posts: 456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 9:47:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 12:11:28 AM, imabench wrote:
If somebody takes away my AR-15 I'll just mow 20 people down with my car, after I throw 10 homemade Molotov cocktails at them. Or I'll simply bring 5 semi-automatic pistols or revolvers and shoot just as many people.

You realize that literally all of those things you mention are used almost entirely for other reasons besides killing people or spewing out gunfire, unlike the AR15, right?

And? You can still kill people with a car, it's really easy to swerve into a crowd of people. And last I checked, Molotov cocktails are meant for killing people. You just need a glass bottle, some gasoline, a rag, and a lighter, and you've got a bomb right there. Also, I own an AR-15, and I don't use it to kill people. I use it to kill targets, which is very fun.

Or maybe I can stick a bomb up my @ss and blow up a train, or even hijack a plane and fly it into a building, killing thousands of people.

Both of which are illegal

That's my point. It's highly illegal, but people still do it.

Really dude? If someone is willing to break the law by killing innocent people, they will probably have no problem breaking the law by attaining a gun illegally.

Most criminals arent savvy masterminds with knowledge of the criminal underworld though..... Close to half of them are probably complete idiots who have no idea how to get an illegal AR-15 that doesnt involve using Google or Craigslist....

Gun laws and gun bans dont stand up very well against the will of criminal masterminds, but they sure as hell could thwart the will of an average idiot.

It's easier than you think. If California tried to ban the AR-15 again, how would they confiscate them? They aren't going to confiscate them. However, not everybody will turn in their AR-15. That's just one way, there's plenty of other ways.
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 10:41:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 9:28:05 AM, imabench wrote:
At 10/14/2013 6:35:13 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

An AR15 is as much a defensive weapon as it is a hunting rifle.

It really isnt..... An AR15 is literally a weapon of war that is standard issue to the US military and meant primarily to spew out as many rounds as possible by pulling the trigger only once.

The AR15 is not fully automatic...

Only a gun loving idiotic conservative hack (you fit the bill here perfectly Juris) would think that an AR15 is a reasonable gun to own for self defense or hunting.....
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:19:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 9:47:20 AM, ironmaiden wrote:
At 10/14/2013 12:11:28 AM, imabench wrote:
If somebody takes away my AR-15 I'll just mow 20 people down with my car, after I throw 10 homemade Molotov cocktails at them. Or I'll simply bring 5 semi-automatic pistols or revolvers and shoot just as many people.

You realize that literally all of those things you mention are used almost entirely for other reasons besides killing people or spewing out gunfire, unlike the AR15, right?

And? You can still kill people with a car, it's really easy to swerve into a crowd of people. And last I checked, Molotov cocktails are meant for killing people. You just need a glass bottle, some gasoline, a rag, and a lighter, and you've got a bomb right there.

Youre missing the point dingus, AR-15's are used exclusively to kill, maim, harm, target, etc..... Cars and the ingredients for Molotov cocktails all have primary other uses, so somehow implying that an AR-15 Assualt Rifle is as similar in use to a car is only something a conservative hack could believe.

Or maybe I can stick a bomb up my @ss and blow up a train, or even hijack a plane and fly it into a building, killing thousands of people.

Both of which are illegal

That's my point. It's highly illegal, but people still do it.

Not legalizing something because some people refuse to abide by the law is a f*cking stupid reason to not illegalize something though.......

By your logic, There are people who easily can make their way around rape laws even though its illegal, therefore we should legalize it.
ve no idea how to get an illegal AR-15 that doesnt involve using Google or Craigslist....

Gun laws and gun bans dont stand up very well against the will of criminal masterminds, but they sure as hell could thwart the will of an average idiot.

It's easier than you think. If California tried to ban the AR-15 again,

Stating an opinion and then immediately moving on to another point doesnt validate your argument..... The fact is that gun laws do thwart the dumber half of criminals.....

how would they confiscate them? They aren't going to confiscate them.

They sure can when they find someone who happens to own them.

However, not everybody will turn in their AR-15. That's just one way, there's plenty of other ways.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Juris_Naturalis
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:37:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 9:28:05 AM, imabench wrote:
At 10/14/2013 6:35:13 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

An AR15 is as much a defensive weapon as it is a hunting rifle.

It really isnt..... An AR15 is literally a weapon of war that is standard issue to the US military and meant primarily to spew out as many rounds as possible by pulling the trigger only once.

Only a gun loving idiotic conservative hack (you fit the bill here perfectly Juris) would think that an AR15 is a reasonable gun to own for self defense or hunting.....

Bench, you are the epitome of why I can't stand liberals. I have hunted with an AR15. It works great. I've dropped pig and deer with it without problem. The AR15 spits ONE round when you pull the trigger. You know, like a handgun. And what, because it's a weapon of war..... that's somehow a legitimate reason to not be able to own it? So we can't own handguns or shotguns now right? Because those were designed for war too.
Juris_Naturalis
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:39:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 9:28:05 AM, imabench wrote:
At 10/14/2013 6:35:13 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

An AR15 is as much a defensive weapon as it is a hunting rifle.

It really isnt..... An AR15 is literally a weapon of war that is standard issue to the US military and meant primarily to spew out as many rounds as possible by pulling the trigger only once.

Only a gun loving idiotic conservative hack (you fit the bill here perfectly Juris) would think that an AR15 is a reasonable gun to own for self defense or hunting.....

And can you seriously give me a legitimate, non-blanket term, reason as to why they can't be used for defence?
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:55:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 6:36:16 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
At 10/14/2013 12:46:50 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
What do you think about the possession of tanks or nuclear weapons?

You're not serious right?

I'm completely serious. This is not an anti-gun argument, btw.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:00:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 11:37:47 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
At 10/14/2013 9:28:05 AM, imabench wrote:
At 10/14/2013 6:35:13 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

An AR15 is as much a defensive weapon as it is a hunting rifle.

It really isnt..... An AR15 is literally a weapon of war that is standard issue to the US military and meant primarily to spew out as many rounds as possible by pulling the trigger only once.

Only a gun loving idiotic conservative hack (you fit the bill here perfectly Juris) would think that an AR15 is a reasonable gun to own for self defense or hunting.....

Bench, you are the epitome of why I can't stand liberals.

Seeing as how youre a complete idiot that doesnt surprise me

I have hunted with an AR15. It works great. I've dropped pig and deer with it without problem. The AR15 spits ONE round when you pull the trigger. You know, like a handgun.

Except that it isnt, Ive already given evidence that an AR-15 can be made into both a semi-automatic and a fully automatic weapon, making it not even close to anything like a hand gun.

And what, because it's a weapon of war..... that's somehow a legitimate reason to not be able to own it?

Yeah. Tanks and Nukes are weapons of war, you wouldnt legalize those for people to use though (unless youre retarded)

So we can't own handguns or shotguns now right? Because those were designed for war too.

No, because handguns and shotguns originated as weapons for self defense.... No standing army of any nation has ever issued handguns or shotguns as the primary weapons to their army for fighting wars, its always been rifles (which have since transitioned to a tool used for more defensive purposes) and assault weapons (which continue to be intended for offensive purposes)

For someone who loves guns you sure dont know sh*t about them..... Typical for gun loving conservative hacks though.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:04:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/13/2013 11:39:29 PM, imabench wrote:
Im gonna intervene here and clarify exactly what liberals feel about this issue since clearly that needs to be sorted out.....

Liberals do not hate old school hunting rifles, handguns, or shotguns..... Some do, but not most.

Most liberals hate semi-assault and assault weapons..... And an AR-15 is a weapon that can spew out tons of ammo simply by holding down the trigger..... To claim that it is no different then an average handgun is idiotic since it is literally classified as a semi-automatic weapon and can even be built to be fully automatic
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Yes, but the guns that liberals and the government want to ban are dubbed 'assault rifles' when they are semi automatic. True assault rifles are banned, the liberal definition of an assault rifle is incorrect and they are not banned.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:06:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 9:28:05 AM, imabench wrote:
At 10/14/2013 6:35:13 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

An AR15 is as much a defensive weapon as it is a hunting rifle.

It really isnt..... An AR15 is literally a weapon of war that is standard issue to the US military and meant primarily to spew out as many rounds as possible by pulling the trigger only once.

Only a gun loving idiotic conservative hack (you fit the bill here perfectly Juris) would think that an AR15 is a reasonable gun to own for self defense or hunting.....

The AR-15's sold to civilians are a variant of the M16 and are semi automatic, automatic guns are already banned, don't try to pull one over as far as factual information on DDO, it might work on your braindead high school classmates though.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:10:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
To all libs: The AR-15 isn't a weapon of war or used by the military,it's a variant of a weapon of war and is semi automatic, the only distinction is that it's convenient to shoot. All you are doing is making shooting guns more inconvenient, all civilian variants of assault rifles have that is distinctive is a pistol grip, less kickback, etc.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:22:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I really don't like to engage you bench, but you are the bully of DDO who usually wins through insults and intimidation and I think it's time that someone sets you straight
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:22:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 12:10:14 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
To all libs: The AR-15 isn't a weapon of war or used by the military, it's a variant of a weapon of war and is semi automatic,

Being a variant of a weapon of war that is only slightly less lethal than the original still makes it a weapon of war since you could more then feasibly fight wars with it if they became the standard weapon of the military....

the only distinction is that it's convenient to shoot. All you are doing is making shooting guns more inconvenient, all civilian variants of assault rifles have that is distinctive is a pistol grip, less kickback, etc.

the issue is that many people feel that they arent inconvenient enough to be justified to own under the claim of self defense though
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 12:23:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/14/2013 12:22:18 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
I really don't like to engage you bench, but you are the bully of DDO who usually wins through insults and intimidation and I think it's time that someone sets you straight

You can get in line with everyone who has tried and failed miserably. Its a pretty extensive list
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015