Jump to topic:

What's Your Utopia Idealogy?

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 1:23:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Everyone has one. Let's discuss our favorite utopian ideologies!

In other words, these would be political ideologies (or in the case of anarchy no ideology at all) that sound great and we wish they could work, but they just don't.

Mine would be anarchy. The only problem with anarchy is that it requires the people of the society to have good moral values, and be willing to work together to get things done of their own will. (Cue Wallstreet Atheist)

What are yours?

Please note that I am pretty bad with politics so if I come across as a slight idiot when posting here you now know why, so don't mind me.
Nolite Timere
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 1:43:25 PM
Libertarian minarchism. But I don't think it is possible, nor necessarily desirable, to eliminate whole programs like Medicaid or SNAP.

The Republican variety of libertarianism is a great step in the right direction, besides its tolerance of the war on drugs.

Anarcho capitalism seems to have some issues with it, that won't let me accept it. Primarily the problem of national defense.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 2:01:34 PM
At 10/19/2013 1:23:06 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

In other words, these would be political ideologies (or in the case of anarchy no ideology at all) that sound great and we wish they could work, but they just don't.

Mine would be anarchy. The only problem with anarchy is that it requires the people of the society to have good moral values, and be willing to work together to get things done of their own will. (Cue Wallstreet Atheist)

What are yours?

Please note that I am pretty bad with politics so if I come across as a slight idiot when posting here you now know why, so don't mind me.

Define 'work'.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 2:04:53 PM
At 10/19/2013 2:01:34 PM, Noumena wrote:

What are yours?

Define 'work'.

The society would happen as it is meant to happen.
Nolite Timere
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 2:05:02 PM
But if we define a "utopian ideology" as one which carries sentimental (though not practical) weight, I'd probably go with classical liberalism and many of its derivatives.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 2:05:50 PM
I don't see how anyone can not have communism as their utopian ideology. You work as much as you can, you get as much you require. All rainbow and sunshine, pretty sandy if it would work.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 2:06:14 PM
At 10/19/2013 2:04:53 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

What are yours?

Define 'work'.

That's vague.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 2:07:05 PM
At 10/19/2013 2:05:50 PM, Cermank wrote:
I don't see how anyone can not have communism as their utopian ideology. You work as much as you can, you get as much you require. All rainbow and sunshine, pretty sandy if it would work.

dandy* Autocorrect is ish.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 2:07:33 PM
At 10/19/2013 2:06:14 PM, Noumena wrote:

What are yours?

Define 'work'.

That's vague.

If I'm correct Communism isn't supposed to be extremely oppressive but when it is put into affect it generally becomes oppressive.

I'm honestly not sure about that but I'm trying to think of an example.
Nolite Timere
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 2:09:02 PM
At 10/19/2013 2:07:33 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

What are yours?

Define 'work'.

That's vague.

If I'm correct Communism isn't supposed to be extremely oppressive but when it is put into affect it generally becomes oppressive.

Define communism.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 2:12:25 PM
At 10/19/2013 2:09:02 PM, Noumena wrote:

What are yours?

Define 'work'.

That's vague.

Define communism.

Karl Marx Classic Communism Vs. Communism when it is put into affect.
Nolite Timere
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 3:00:58 PM
At 10/19/2013 2:12:25 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

What are yours?

Define 'work'.

That's vague.

Define communism.

Classic communism?
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 3:37:26 PM
At 10/19/2013 3:00:58 PM, Noumena wrote:

What are yours?

Define 'work'.

That's vague.

Define communism.

Classic communism?

Screw it.
Nolite Timere
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 4:14:34 PM
Complete freedom of belief for everyone. No one gets abused for their beliefs, spiritual religious, or otherwise.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 7:47:19 PM

What are yours?

Define 'work'.

That's vague.

Define communism.

Classic communism?

Lol don't be such a b!tch about it.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 8:57:17 PM

People with Ph.Ds should get paid more than the high school dropout at McDonalds if you ask me.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 9:08:35 PM
It's hard to say exactly. I suppose my ideal U.S. government would look something like this.

Pseudo-nationalized Libertarianism with a pure democratically elected leader, whereby things like insurance are public, and the economy is heavily regulated.

Personal issues like abortion and gun-control are given the "if you don't like it, than don't do it" policy.

-People can own as many guns they want of any rate of fire, caliber, and ammunition type (federally paid for psychological exam and background check required before first purchase, and only a background check is required after that, unless the person received significant head trauma between the two purchases, than another test is in order).
-Abortion is legal
-Pot/alcohol/tobacco is legal
-Tuitions are paid for by the government
-Health class focuses on general well-being and how to use contraceptives
-Creationism is banned from schools
-There would be a national institution for each major branch of science
-Taxes would be simplified to 15% annual income per year
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 9:10:11 PM
Anarcho-capitalism. With large amounts of guns and explosives, because in utopia people will only use them for shooting tin cans or blowing up old cement trucks.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 9:12:48 PM
My utopia is a place where people are nice enough and smart enough that they never worry about ideology. And it puzzles me how utopia could ever mean something else.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 10:33:48 PM
Everyone has one.

Not I. Not in this life.

Let's discuss our favorite utopian ideologies!

This might be interesting.

Politics should mitigate human failure. The order which is most effective at countermanding human imperfection is what I favor.

Mine would be anarchy.

Fun? Perhaps. I'd eventually run out of blow, though. Utopia? Hardly.

The only problem with anarchy is that it requires the people of the society to have good moral values, and be willing to work together to get things done of their own will. (Cue Wallstreet Atheist)

Well said.

What are yours?

Ehh. I want drugs.

No worries.
Tsar of DDO
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2013 1:29:49 PM
At 10/19/2013 7:47:19 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

What are yours?

Define 'work'.

That's vague.

Define communism.

Classic communism?

Lol don't be such a b!tch about it.

Why not? Ima bad bltch.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 7:11:28 PM

...because I want more than the bare minimum and/or more than other people?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 1:18:14 PM
At 10/19/2013 4:14:34 PM, Sitara wrote:
Complete freedom of belief for everyone. No one gets abused for their beliefs, spiritual religious, or otherwise.

except atheists ,amrite?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 9:45:16 PM

This can be said of any extreme ideology (I use the term "extreme" as "far from center" not as an insult) only that different societies would need different morals. The key thing is that everyone (or at least a vast VAST majority) would need to be in rational moral agreement of the ideology. By "rational moral agreement" I mean they have a rational understanding of the morals and different roles within a society.

Take 10,000 AnCaps and give them a good chunk of fertile land and they will be successful and happy. Take 10,000 Fascists in the same land and they will thrive, same with Liberals, Commies, Totalitarians, etc...

The trouble arises with how well they play with others...

What are yours?

Mine would a form of Totalitarianism, though one of the moral requirements for people would be wide spread political apathy, which will never happen. I don't want to say that the apathy should focus around the ignorant (since that is such a negative word), but ignorance is bliss, and ultimately, long term happiness is more important than any other single trait. Better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"